Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 149
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: MTB Tires

  1. #41
    MoJo Mother Superior fontarin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    1,171
    Swapping over to 29 on my Hightower from 27.5+. Thinking I'm going to try Butcher front, XR3 back, but tempted to try the XR4/XR3. Decisions, decisions.

    Edit: Was tempted to try Nobby Nic 29 2.6s, but I've never really cared for NNs.
    Last edited by fontarin; 03-17-2017 at 03:35 PM.

  2. #42
    Mojo Prickly Tire brianjo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    174
    If anyone is looking for a good (and cheap) rear 29er tire REI has these on sale right now.

    https://www.rei.com/product/101275/w...t-tire-29-x-23

    Just took it on the trail this afternoon. Rolls pretty well, climbs great, and its lighter than the Hans D I had on there. I hadn't seen one before, but decided what the hell for $35.00

  3. #43
    prodigal son of Austin Teamsloan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    North Austin
    Posts
    1,396
    So, back in the Hammerhead Bike days, I picked up a WTB Weirwolf LT (claimed 26x2.55). I fell in love with that tire. It introduced to me the concept of smalls knobs combined with large volume. I rode two EB's on it. Then WTB stopped making it in a 26". My beloved tire was wearing very nicely though and I kept riding it. Then I started noticing that it wasn't holding the corners like it had before as a front tire (on my Scott Scale XC bike). So, it finally got pulled and I followed the Ardent trend as no one seemed to be making anything similar to the LT for 26" anymore. When I got my Blur LT I realized that my trusty WTB would fit on the back and do okay as a fast rolling, high volume rear tire. Combined with the Ardent upfront I was happy. I knew I was on borrowed time though, and every once in a while I look on Ebay to see if one will pop up for sale. Then I got a great idea last month and posted up in the "Want To Buy" section of the classifieds on MTBR. Surely someone out there had a set of these laying around. Sure enough, within a couple days I had two replies! I now have two replacements for my aging Weirwolf LT! One is going back on the front of the Scott and the other will likely serve rear tire duties on the Blur LT.

    Also, if anyone on here has one of these laying around, I'll take it. That is, until I get a new bike with bigger wheels.
    stratosrally likes this.
    -the oracle has spoken.

    '12 Santa Cruz BlurLT 2.2
    '07 Scott Scale 30
    '01 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc (loaner/commuter bike)

    Charcoal Gray 2010 Subaru Outback 2.5i


  4. #44
    MoJo Bishop ATXZJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    County of haze
    Posts
    207
    Quote Originally Posted by brianjo View Post
    If anyone is looking for a good (and cheap) rear 29er tire REI has these on sale right now.

    https://www.rei.com/product/101275/w...t-tire-29-x-23

    Just took it on the trail this afternoon. Rolls pretty well, climbs great, and its lighter than the Hans D I had on there. I hadn't seen one before, but decided what the hell for $35.00

    breakouts roll really well considering, and make great trail tires. careful with that TCS light carcass.
    16 Process 111DL
    15 Process 134DL
    16 Process 153DL
    16 Honzo DL
    16 Private Jake

  5. #45
    Mojo Prickly Tire brianjo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    174
    Quote Originally Posted by ATXZJ View Post
    careful with that TCS light carcass.
    They don't seem particularly fragile. About the same as the Hans EXO Trailstar it replaced. The sidewalls have that "snakeskin" type stuff on them.

  6. #46
    MoJo Neophyte Pumper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Pf'ville
    Posts
    21
    Great price at REI, saw they also have an extra 25% off this clearance item through 3/20


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #47
    MoJo Pope Ganderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Round Rock
    Posts
    515
    I'd tell you what I ended up with as my goldilocks tire combo, but:

    - There are so many other suggestions here that it would just get lost in the crowd, and these tires deserve better.

    - I'm starting to think everyone should undertake their own multi-hundred-dollar tire discovery journey.

    - My suggestion would probably seem too aggressive to you if you like Ardent's at all.

  8. #48
    hold my beer and watch this! RMBL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    78611
    Posts
    8,209
    Quote Originally Posted by Ganderson View Post
    I'd tell you what I ended up with as my goldilocks tire combo, but:

    - There are so many other suggestions here that it would just get lost in the crowd, and these tires deserve better.

    - I'm starting to think everyone should undertake their own multi-hundred-dollar tire discovery journey.

    - My suggestion would probably seem too aggressive to you if you like Ardent's at all.
    wet screams front and rear?
    Quote Originally Posted by Everyone
    Is Walnut Dry?

  9. #49
    MoJo Cardinal simplemind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Austex & Telluride
    Posts
    379
    Quote Originally Posted by Teamsloan View Post
    So, back in the Hammerhead Bike days, I picked up a WTB Weirwolf LT (claimed 26x2.55). I fell in love with that tire. It introduced to me the concept of smalls knobs combined with large volume. I rode two EB's on it. Then WTB stopped making it in a 26". My beloved tire was wearing very nicely though and I kept riding it. Then I started noticing that it wasn't holding the corners like it had before as a front tire (on my Scott Scale XC bike). So, it finally got pulled and I followed the Ardent trend as no one seemed to be making anything similar to the LT for 26" anymore. When I got my Blur LT I realized that my trusty WTB would fit on the back and do okay as a fast rolling, high volume rear tire. Combined with the Ardent upfront I was happy. I knew I was on borrowed time though, and every once in a while I look on Ebay to see if one will pop up for sale. Then I got a great idea last month and posted up in the "Want To Buy" section of the classifieds on MTBR. Surely someone out there had a set of these laying around. Sure enough, within a couple days I had two replies! I now have two replacements for my aging Weirwolf LT! One is going back on the front of the Scott and the other will likely serve rear tire duties on the Blur LT.

    Also, if anyone on here has one of these laying around, I'll take it. That is, until I get a new bike with bigger wheels.

    Those are/were great tires, and I have a new one (off eBay) that I have in a secure undisclosed location. Why they quit making that tire is a real mystery. The only issue I have had is they are not reliable sealing up tubeless.

    I think the 2.6 NN, is going to be the closest substitute currently on the market, they're just hard to find. I've been running 2.35 NN on another bike and I really like them. Not as fragile as has been reported by some, and has good overall traction and rolling resistance. Run mine tubeless at 18 psi.
    Last edited by simplemind; 03-22-2017 at 09:07 AM.

  10. #50
    prodigal son of Austin Teamsloan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    North Austin
    Posts
    1,396
    Quote Originally Posted by simplemind View Post
    Those are/were great tires, and I have a new one (off eBay) that I have in a secure undisclosed location. Why they quit making that tire is a real mystery. The only issue I have had is they are not reliable sealing up tubeless.

    I think the 2.6 NN, is going to be the closest substitute currently on the market, they're just hard to find. I've been running 2.35 NN on another bike and I really like them. Not as fragile as has been reported by some, and has good overall traction and rolling resistance. Run mine tubeless at 18 psi.
    Good to know, thanks! I've also looked at the Rock Razor as a replacement. Although, I've also had a Maxxis Ikon, and those are probably my next favorite tire but they are are ridiculously expensive if you want the 2.35 EXO's.
    -the oracle has spoken.

    '12 Santa Cruz BlurLT 2.2
    '07 Scott Scale 30
    '01 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc (loaner/commuter bike)

    Charcoal Gray 2010 Subaru Outback 2.5i


  11. #51
    MoJo Pope Ganderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Round Rock
    Posts
    515
    Quote Originally Posted by RMBL View Post
    wet screams front and rear?
    Half right.. wetscream rear.. you're good
    RMBL likes this.

  12. #52
    MoJo Mother Superior FJsnoozer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    1,451

  13. #53
    hold my beer and watch this! RMBL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    78611
    Posts
    8,209
    Quote Originally Posted by Ganderson View Post
    Half right.. wetscream rear.. you're good
    Whats in the front?

    And WOW on the wetscream was kidding
    Quote Originally Posted by Everyone
    Is Walnut Dry?

  14. #54
    MoJo Bishop ATXZJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    County of haze
    Posts
    207
    Quote Originally Posted by Ganderson View Post

    - I'm starting to think everyone should undertake their own multi-hundred-dollar tire discovery journey.

    .
    Did it and it sucks. Totally spot on and necessary suggestion.

    Quote Originally Posted by simplemind View Post

    I think the 2.6 NN, is going to be the closest substitute currently on the market, they're just hard to find. I've been running 2.35 NN on another bike and I really like them. Not as fragile as has been reported by some, and has good overall traction and rolling resistance. Run mine tubeless at 18 psi.
    Have both 2.6 and 2.35 NN on my bikes. If you need 2.6 go here:
    https://r2-bike.com/SCHWALBE-Tire-No...keSkin-TL-Easy
    16 Process 111DL
    15 Process 134DL
    16 Process 153DL
    16 Honzo DL
    16 Private Jake

  15. #55
    Mojo GoPro gotdurt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Here and there
    Posts
    663
    Quote Originally Posted by Pumper View Post
    I'm replacing my rubber. Staying with the Ardent 2.4 in the front. Replacing an old Nevegal in the rear, was considering the Maxxis Ikon. Another suggestion is the Vittoria Barzo or Goma, which I haven't used but are supposed to be lighter and grippy? Anyone have ideas for this area?

    Thanks.
    I like the 2.4 Goma, especially on the front. Nice volume, and surprisingly durable; these are the only tires in about the past 2-3 years that didn't suffer premature death from punctures & tears... ironically, they are probably the only ones that don‘t claim some sort of gimmicky "protection", are on the lighter side, and cost a lot less than some. I wasn‘t as impressed with the 2.2 that I tried on the rear, but it was still pretty decent and held up, although it seemed to wear more quickly than the 2.4 in the same position.

    Works for me anyway, YMMV...

    Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk
    Pumper likes this.
    Over the hill, and shredding down
    Youtube
    Black bikes matter.

  16. #56
    MoJo Mother Superior FJsnoozer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    1,451
    Quote Originally Posted by ATXZJ View Post
    Did it and it sucks. Totally spot on and necessary suggestion.



    Have both 2.6 and 2.35 NN on my bikes. If you need 2.6 go here:
    https://r2-bike.com/SCHWALBE-Tire-No...keSkin-TL-Easy

    I may have to order a pair of those G-ones.

  17. #57
    MoJo Pope Ganderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Round Rock
    Posts
    515
    Quote Originally Posted by RMBL View Post
    Whats in the front?

    And WOW on the wetscream was kidding
    Yeah.. I was kidding too.

    For real.. here it is:

    DHF 2.3 EXO front
    Aggressor 2.3 DD rear

    Nothing fancy.. zero desire to mess with anything else.
    MudInMyEars likes this.

  18. #58
    hold my beer and watch this! RMBL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    78611
    Posts
    8,209
    Quote Originally Posted by Ganderson View Post
    Yeah.. I was kidding too.

    For real.. here it is:

    DHF 2.3 EXO front
    Aggressor 2.3 DD rear

    Nothing fancy.. zero desire to mess with anything else.
    Ok thought so ha...

    Looks like a solid beefy combo
    Quote Originally Posted by Everyone
    Is Walnut Dry?

  19. #59
    MoJo Mother Superior notyal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Wimberley
    Posts
    1,892
    Quote Originally Posted by RMBL View Post
    Ok thought so ha...

    Looks like a solid beefy combo
    I thought a hamburger steak sounded like a solid beefy combo. Turns out it was just a hamburger patty with no steak to be found.
    "living today like it is the first day of the rest of my week"

  20. #60
    Mojo Mutha unclemeat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    So Austin
    Posts
    979
    Quote Originally Posted by Pumper View Post
    ... Another suggestion is the Vittoria Barzo or Goma ...
    like stated, 2.4 Goma up front is great. I'm runnin' the 2.3 Morsa in back, works well and has a the same big profile as the Goma.
    Pumper likes this.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Search tags for this page (caching method: table)

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •