Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 184
Like Tree102Likes

Thread: How many of you are running a dropper?

  1. #81
    MoJo Mother Superior notyal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Wimberley
    Posts
    2,172
    Quote Originally Posted by notyal View Post
    I've been out of the country for the last week not checking mojo. 4 pages of "dropper or not" talk??? I would have sworn this thread was resurrected from 2014. I thought droppers were standard equipment for all but the fringe weirdos.

    Where's the new "29ers are just a fad" thread?
    Sorry for the thread killer post. I've been a bit grumpy lately.

    Anyway, I couldn't live without my dropper. I use it more than my shifter. If I were building a new bike on a budget, I think I would prioritize the dropper over gears and rear suspension.

    When you're first getting used to it, it helps to ride familiar trails and try to keep it top of mind. Someone said that it is counter intuitive to sit down on the seat to drop it at a time when you should be standing. That's not really true. You shouldn't be standing at that time, you should be getting low and sliding back. If you can start to think about it that way, you're mind goes from "oh no, I gotta get back" to "oh no, my seat is in the way". It's actually very intuitive. It's just that most of us learned to do it without the luxury of a dropper so it feels wrong. I could make a similar point for the whole "contact point" argument.
    MudInMyEars likes this.
    "living today like it is the first day of the rest of my week"

  2. #82
    Supporting Member
    MoJo SuppoRteR
    The Tip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    In the heart of the ................... SATN
    Posts
    1,818
    Quote Originally Posted by notyal View Post

    When you're first getting used to it, it helps to ride familiar trails and try to keep it top of mind. Someone said that it is counter intuitive to sit down on the seat to drop it at a time when you should be standing. That's not really true. You shouldn't be standing at that time, you should be getting low and sliding back. If you can start to think about it that way, you're mind goes from "oh no, I gotta get back" to "oh no, my seat is in the way". It's actually very intuitive. It's just that most of us learned to do it without the luxury of a dropper so it feels wrong. I could make a similar point for the whole "contact point" argument.
    That is a helpful tip.

    I thought of another thing to add to the "plus side" of droppers as I was stuffing my bike in the back of my car. Push that seat down and it fits in the car lots easier!

  3. #83
    MoJo Mother Superior notyal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Wimberley
    Posts
    2,172
    Quote Originally Posted by The Tip View Post
    That is a helpful tip.

    I thought of another thing to add to the "plus side" of droppers as I was stuffing my bike in the back of my car. Push that seat down and it fits in the car lots easier!
    It's also a lot easier to throw a leg over while remounting when you're tired from a long hike-a-bike.
    "living today like it is the first day of the rest of my week"

  4. #84
    MoJo Mother Superior notyal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Wimberley
    Posts
    2,172
    Also, as long as I'm ranting on the subject instead of thread killing, I don't understand the "droppers are a crutch" argument. Crutches help you walk when you are otherwise not able. They are inherently clunky and offer far less mobility then healthy legs. The goal of everyone who uses crutches is to become healthy enough to no longer need the crutches. No healthy person has opted to use a crutch because they increase performance.

    Droppers are more like some kind of super-human bionic leg attachments that make you run faster and jump higher. They would benefit everyone from the weak to the strong. They may feel a little weird at first, probably would be expensive, and require added maintenance. However, once you got used to them, there would be little reason ever to stop using them.
    "living today like it is the first day of the rest of my week"

  5. #85
    MoJo Mother Superior yosmithy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Cedar Park
    Posts
    1,169
    I choose to not always use my dropper because I'm a broken lazy fat fuck of and old man. NOT because I think of it as a "Crutch"

    sheesh..
    Cafeend and ericandrewscott like this.

  6. #86
    Supporting Member
    MoJo SuppoRteR
    FJsnoozer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    2,001
    Quote Originally Posted by notyal View Post
    Also, as long as I'm ranting on the subject instead of thread killing, I don't understand the "droppers are a crutch" argument. Crutches help you walk when you are otherwise not able. They are inherently clunky and offer far less mobility then healthy legs. The goal of everyone who uses crutches is to become healthy enough to no longer need the crutches. No healthy person has opted to use a crutch because they increase performance.

    Droppers are more like some kind of super-human bionic leg attachments that make you run faster and jump higher. They would benefit everyone from the weak to the strong. They may feel a little weird at first, probably would be expensive, and require added maintenance. However, once you got used to them, there would be little reason ever to stop using them.
    Droppers are more like shoes. You can walk without them, but sometimes its more comfortable with them on. You can also walk some places you cant walk barefoot.
    notyal likes this.

  7. #87
    MoJo Mother Superior notyal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Wimberley
    Posts
    2,172
    Quote Originally Posted by FJsnoozer View Post
    Droppers are more like shoes. You can walk without them, but sometimes its more comfortable with them on. You can also walk some places you cant walk barefoot.
    Good call. To some extent, shoes are super-human bionic leg attachments that make you run faster and jump higher.
    "living today like it is the first day of the rest of my week"

  8. #88
    Shop Owner/Frame Builder CBaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Austin, Tx
    Posts
    3,005
    Quote Originally Posted by FJsnoozer View Post
    Droppers are more like shoes. You can walk without them, but sometimes its more comfortable with them on. You can also walk some places you cant walk barefoot.


    Well then, it looks like I should post up a photo of myself running with out my shoes.....

    upload imagescertificity.com
    AntonioGG likes this.


    www.TrueFabricationBicycles.com
    Custom bicycle frames from deep in the heart of Austin

  9. #89
    Supporting Member
    MoJo SuppoRteR
    The Tip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    In the heart of the ................... SATN
    Posts
    1,818
    Quote Originally Posted by FJsnoozer View Post
    Droppers are more like shoes. You can walk without them, but sometimes its more comfortable with them on. You can also walk some places you cant walk barefoot.
    Or like tools. Tools make jobs easier. You can build something out of wood using power tools and precise measuring devices, OR, you can use a pocket knife to eventually do the same thing. It just depends on what you like. You cannot say which is the right way.

  10. #90
    Shop Owner/Frame Builder CBaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Austin, Tx
    Posts
    3,005
    Quote Originally Posted by The Tip View Post
    Or like tools. Tools make jobs easier. You can build something out of wood using power tools and precise measuring devices, OR, you can use a pocket knife to eventually do the same thing. It just depends on what you like. You cannot say which is the right way.
    Ok lets use this analogy because I've been wrestling with a reply that keeps true to the analogy. Yours above is a good one.

    So we are given the task of building a wood sculpture (or rather creating a patio pergola). You choose a chainsaw and some power tools. I choose a hand saw and some wood files. If we both finish at the same time and most everyone find our completed projects very nice works of art and possibly equal in aesthetics, does it really matter in the end? Now for the sake of the analogy, if it takes me 4x as much time to complete the task as it does you, then, YES, I would say that one way may be more "right" than another. But if we finish with comparable work, at comparable time, then I see very little reason why one would be better than another.

    Its just that most people never learned to use the hand saw and wood files in a fast, efficient and safe manner.

    Later,
    CJB
    brianjo and AntonioGG like this.


    www.TrueFabricationBicycles.com
    Custom bicycle frames from deep in the heart of Austin

  11. #91
    MoJo Mother Superior notyal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Wimberley
    Posts
    2,172
    Quote Originally Posted by CBaron View Post
    Ok lets use this analogy because I've been wrestling with a reply that keeps true to the analogy. Yours above is a good one.

    So we are given the task of building a wood sculpture (or rather creating a patio pergola). You choose a chainsaw and some power tools. I choose a hand saw and some wood files. If we both finish at the same time and most everyone find our completed projects very nice works of art and possibly equal in aesthetics, does it really matter in the end? Now for the sake of the analogy, if it takes me 4x as much time to complete the task as it does you, then, YES, I would say that one way may be more "right" than another. But if we finish with comparable work, at comparable time, then I see very little reason why one would be better than another.

    Its just that most people never learned to use the hand saw and wood files in a fast, efficient and safe manner.

    Later,
    CJB
    Yeah but, how many professional pergola contractors would show up with nothing but hand tools? The only people who would choose all hand tools are those who romanticize wood working. (or don't have the mental capacity to used power tools) There is nothing wrong with that if you are passionate about hand made wood pergolas. You can't deny that someone equally skilled in both would be far more efficient with power tools.

    I totally get the attraction to simple bikes with less moving parts to break and maintain. If that gets your seatpost up, more power to you. I just don't get the argument that droppers somehow make you lazy or a less competent rider. I got into basically this same argument a few years back with someone who was saying that (even though they used a dropper themselves), if their kid or wife or beginner friend was first learning to ride, they would take the dropper off a new bike and replace with a fixed post so that they could learn the "right way". That makes no sense to me. Riding with a fixed seatpost is not some sort of coveted skill these days. Make it easier on yourself and get that sucker out of the way!
    "living today like it is the first day of the rest of my week"

  12. #92
    Supporting Member
    MoJo SuppoRteR
    AntonioGG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Austin, tX
    Posts
    817
    This reminds me of a stupid article on bike radar knocking on singlespeed bikes. The argument was so inane, that if you reduce that line of thinking to the ultimate reduction, the only thing that makes sense is an offroad motorcyle...I mean, why bother with pedals if the point is to make it easier right?

  13. #93
    Supporting Member
    MoJo SuppoRteR
    The Tip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    In the heart of the ................... SATN
    Posts
    1,818
    Gawd dang it, when I was young,



    we didn't have those there pneumatic blow up tires. We rode on WOOD wheels. We didn't have no gears either. We didn't even have pedals! We just pushed ourselves with our feet on our wooden wheels....
    And we LIKED it!

  14. #94
    MoJo Mother Superior notyal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Wimberley
    Posts
    2,172
    Quote Originally Posted by AntonioGG View Post
    This reminds me of a stupid article on bike radar knocking on singlespeed bikes. The argument was so inane, that if you reduce that line of thinking to the ultimate reduction, the only thing that makes sense is an offroad motorcyle...I mean, why bother with pedals if the point is to make it easier right?
    Why even ride a motorcycle when you could just stay home and play video games?

    Sorry to Cody and everyone else for my ranting yesterday. I need to ride my bike more and get out of this grumpy mood I've been in lately.
    AntonioGG and CBaron like this.
    "living today like it is the first day of the rest of my week"

  15. #95
    MoJoMoRon bartman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    oakhill
    Posts
    10,829
    I love my dropper post..and if its a crutch then so is the wheel that was created thousands of years ago..or any other form of human enhancement that goes beyond the naked body..

    I'm going to bottom line it because this is the same debate as using a bow compared to a gun in hunting...do whatever enhances your passion and screw the haters POV....they're just whiny anal retentive holier than thou ho's anyhow...(Clarification: within the law so leave the little school girls alone Jesse GTFOOMW...and delete that kiddie porn off your harddrive)
    mack_turtle likes this.

  16. #96
    Shop Owner/Frame Builder CBaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Austin, Tx
    Posts
    3,005
    Quote Originally Posted by notyal View Post
    Sorry to Cody and everyone else for my ranting yesterday. I need to ride my bike more and get out of this grumpy mood I've been in lately.
    No need for an apology to me. I don't mind a good discussion or debate. For me, in this thread, I just don't want to come across as some curmudgeon 'anti-dropper' dude. I just wanted to show a counter point to all the pages of fan-boi'izm. I get why most people like them. And if that improves your stoke, them I'm super cool with that. I just simply don't need one.

    These kinds of debates have been raging for years: disc vs v-brake, FS vs HT, 29 vs 26, tire width, stem length, etc.. People are so quick to justify their chosen position. Then quite often, over time, they'll migrate over to a change...then THIS begins their new position. I say this as someone who's been riding 29er since 2005, and also owned a boutique bike shop servicing a very wide variety of customers and styles.

    Later,
    CJB


    www.TrueFabricationBicycles.com
    Custom bicycle frames from deep in the heart of Austin

  17. #97
    MoJo Mother Superior endo_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Round Rock
    Posts
    607
    Y'all should be thankful for all the enhancements. Without them you would be waiting for my fat ass and others like me on all of the rides. You are faster when we are faster.
    We ride, then we drink!

    A lot!


  18. #98
    mrk
    mrk is offline
    MoJo Neophyte mrk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Austin TX
    Posts
    24
    I'm sure we have all done the same trails with a wide variety of set ups. In the end, it all boils down to what you like best. Over the years I have found myself gravitating towards the trail bike relm and droppers have become part of the set up. Are there times I miss the 72 degree head angle, no dropper, and long stays? Damn right! I wish I could pack a second bike in my pack and rule the world.. This topic makes me ponder about the idea of 3 measurement tires like that of the 4x4 world. Height/width/rim diameter. But then again, I would spend months debating tire size like I do with my truck. Then we would have, "does it rub without trimming?" threads, lol. I guess this is already happening, IMO It's awesome!

  19. #99
    MoJo Neophyte feedbacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    12
    I could go out and ride BCGB on my current Fuse with 27.5x3 tires and dropper and Boost spacing and hydro disks and 1x drivetrain, or I could dig out the rigid Stumpjumper I bought in 94 with 26x1.75 tires and 3x7 drivetrain and fixed seatpost and cantis. Both would be fun but given the choice I'm grabbing the Fuse 99 times out of 100. I like the progression bikes have made.

    I guess I could get a Hite-Rite though for that sweet vintage cred.

  20. #100
    mrk
    mrk is offline
    MoJo Neophyte mrk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Austin TX
    Posts
    24
    Dude, I rode the fuse alloy frame with Diamond stays and was sold. That bike is fun as hell and offers shit loads of calf clearnce. Low BB rock strikes blow, but the fun factor surpasses.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Search tags for this page (caching method: table)

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •