Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
Results 141 to 160 of 183
Like Tree102Likes

Thread: How many of you are running a dropper?

  1. #141
    MoJo Neophyte Charlie193's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    4
    Just picked up a PNW cascade (my first dropper post). Only used it a couple of times so I canít comment on reliabilty, but so far itís everything I was hoping it would be. I was worried it might not have enough travel as Iím on the lanky side, and 125mm was the only option, but for the trails Iíve ridden since fitting it(South Austin and Walnut Creek), it seems fine.
    Seths Pool likes this.

  2. #142
    MoJo Pope Ganderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Round Rock
    Posts
    552
    Longer travel droppers are great and all, but do have a downside (besides weight) as I learned when upgrading from 125mm to 150mm.

    Everytime you drop it it equates to a deeper "squat".. as much as I use mine these squat reps tend to add up over the course of a ride a bit faster on the 150mm.

    Just saying

  3. #143
    MoJo Neophyte Charlie193's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    4
    That was the one thing I hadnít anticipated- even with 125mm I was surprised by the extra effort required by my scrawny chicken legs to get back up after dropping the post. Hope I get used to it in the next ride or two.

  4. #144
    MoJo Mother Superior notyal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Wimberley
    Posts
    2,030
    Quote Originally Posted by Ganderson View Post
    Longer travel droppers are great and all, but do have a downside (besides weight) as I learned when upgrading from 125mm to 150mm.

    Everytime you drop it it equates to a deeper "squat".. as much as I use mine these squat reps tend to add up over the course of a ride a bit faster on the 150mm.

    Just saying
    I've noticed this as well when going from a 100mm to a 125mm. The other thing I noticed was that with only 100mm, I was in a much better position to give the cranks a couple quick rotations when fully dropped. The extra inch of clearance is nice, but I never remember having trouble with the shorter drop. I'm not necessarily saying I'd go back to a 100mm if I had to buy a new one today, but everything is a trade-off.
    "living today like it is the first day of the rest of my week"

  5. #145
    Mojo Bike Part Terminator Seths Pool's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    austin
    Posts
    3,166
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie193 View Post
    That was the one thing I hadn’t anticipated- even with 125mm I was surprised by the extra effort required by my scrawny chicken legs to get back up after dropping the post. Hope I get used to it in the next ride or two.
    well if im understanding you correctly, generally the only time you want to drop your post is when you arent needing to pedal, you want full (or close to) leg extension when pedaling. as soon as you're done clearing the feature/descend, raise the dropper post back up and continue on your way down the trail!
    Cheif likes this.
    "Less yap more braap"

    "Strava is like Tinder for bros"

  6. #146
    MoJo Pope Ganderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Round Rock
    Posts
    552
    Quote Originally Posted by notyal View Post
    I've noticed this as well when going from a 100mm to a 125mm. The other thing I noticed was that with only 100mm, I was in a much better position to give the cranks a couple quick rotations when fully dropped. The extra inch of clearance is nice, but I never remember having trouble with the shorter drop. I'm not necessarily saying I'd go back to a 100mm if I had to buy a new one today, but everything is a trade-off.
    I feel the same about going 125mm to 150mm, It didn't gain me much and I'd be perfectly content with the 125mm.. maybe even prefer it.

  7. #147
    MoJo Neophyte Charlie193's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Seths Pool View Post
    well if im understanding you correctly, generally the only time you want to drop your post is when you arent needing to pedal, you want full (or close to) leg extension when pedaling. as soon as you're done clearing the feature/descend, raise the dropper post back up and continue on your way down the trail!
    I havenít really been pedalling with the seat down, maybe I was just dropping and raising the post too often as itís a new toy, but it was really just straightening my legs from the dropped position. I was probably keeping my weight lower during descents with the seat down too, which might also have helped ruin my quads.

  8. #148
    Mojo Slow-poke Austin Bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Seat 21B - exit row aisle
    Posts
    16,753
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie193 View Post
    Just picked up a PNW cascade (my first dropper post). Only used it a couple of times so I can’t comment on reliabilty, but so far it’s everything I was hoping it would be. I was worried it might not have enough travel as I’m on the lanky side, and 125mm was the only option, but for the trails I’ve ridden since fitting it(South Austin and Walnut Creek), it seems fine.
    Do you ride the greenbelt or CP? I find that there is nothing at WC that is dropper-worthy. If you use one there to gain confidence, that's cool, but a good game to play with your head is use the dropper to clear something you had trouble with. Master it with the dropper then wean yourself off the dropper. A good way to "session" something over time and build your skills. I challenge myself to use my dropper less - it is there if I need it but I don't want to depend on it forever.
    "A person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all" - Paul Westerberg

    庄富瑞

    Click HERE for all your Austin Biking information


  9. #149
    Supporting Member
    MoJo SuppoRteR
    ATXZJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    County of haze
    Posts
    307
    Speaking of droppers, anyone want to trade my KS 150mm dropper for a 125mm? Building a new rig for the wife and the 150mm doesnt fit far enough into the frame.

    Dropper:
    2017 KS Lev Integra 31.6 150mm
    16 Process 111DL
    15 Process 134DL
    16 Process 153DL
    16 Honzo DL
    16 Private Jake
    17 Hei Hei DLc

  10. #150
    Shop Owner/Frame Builder CBaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Austin, Tx
    Posts
    2,832
    Quote Originally Posted by ATXZJ View Post
    Speaking of droppers, anyone want to trade my KS 150mm dropper for a 125mm? Building a new rig for the wife and the 150mm doesnt fit far enough into the frame.

    Dropper:
    2017 KS Lev Integra 31.6 150mm


    How about 100mm of drop? I've got this one...
    KS Dropper Post for sale

    Thanks
    CJB


    www.TrueFabricationBicycles.com
    Custom bicycle frames from deep in the heart of Austin

  11. #151
    Supporting Member
    MoJo SuppoRteR
    ATXZJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    County of haze
    Posts
    307
    Quote Originally Posted by CBaron View Post
    How about 100mm of drop? I've got this one...
    KS Dropper Post for sale

    Thanks
    CJB
    which model KS is that?
    16 Process 111DL
    15 Process 134DL
    16 Process 153DL
    16 Honzo DL
    16 Private Jake
    17 Hei Hei DLc

  12. #152
    Supporting Member
    MoJo SuppoRteR
    Cheif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Cedar Park
    Posts
    423
    Quote Originally Posted by Seths Pool View Post
    well if im understanding you correctly, generally the only time you want to drop your post is when you arent needing to pedal, you want full (or close to) leg extension when pedaling. as soon as you're done clearing the feature/descend, raise the dropper post back up and continue on your way down the trail!
    A dropper helps the most with steep and technical stuff, but is also good to use when you're going fast through twisty stuff. I find that if I drop my seat a little when pedaling through twisty trails it helps me corner faster getting my center of gravity lower also allowing me to get my weight better placed over the bars for better traction through corners.
    Last edited by Cheif; 01-02-2018 at 07:43 PM.
    throet likes this.

  13. #153
    MoJo Neophyte Charlie193's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin Bike View Post
    Do you ride the greenbelt or CP? I find that there is nothing at WC that is dropper-worthy. If you use one there to gain confidence, that's cool, but a good game to play with your head is use the dropper to clear something you had trouble with. Master it with the dropper then wean yourself off the dropper. A good way to "session" something over time and build your skills. I challenge myself to use my dropper less - it is there if I need it but I don't want to depend on it forever.
    I sometimes ride the greenbelt, WC is just close enough to my office to sneak out for a ride at lunch if Iím organized enough, but I didnít get the seatpost specifically to ride there. Iím hoping to check out a few more of the trails outside town- I have fairly young twins so havenít had much time the last couple of years- hoping to explore more now things are less manic. Might be a pipe dream though. Thanks for the advice!

  14. #154
    Shop Owner/Frame Builder CBaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Austin, Tx
    Posts
    2,832
    Quote Originally Posted by ATXZJ View Post
    which model KS is that?
    I don't really know off top of my head. It came stock on my Trek Stach 9. Its out in my truck and I'm warm in my bed. I'll check it out tomorrow and get back with you.

    Later,
    CJB


    www.TrueFabricationBicycles.com
    Custom bicycle frames from deep in the heart of Austin

  15. #155
    MoJo Mother Superior notyal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Wimberley
    Posts
    2,030
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin Bike View Post
    Do you ride the greenbelt or CP? I find that there is nothing at WC that is dropper-worthy. If you use one there to gain confidence, that's cool, but a good game to play with your head is use the dropper to clear something you had trouble with. Master it with the dropper then wean yourself off the dropper. A good way to "session" something over time and build your skills. I challenge myself to use my dropper less - it is there if I need it but I don't want to depend on it forever.
    I've never understood this line of thinking. Why would you pay $300+ and add a pound to your bike only to use it the least amount possible? I try to drop my post every time it might help at all, which is basically everywhere I'm not actively pedaling. Even the techy pedally trails like Cheese Grater, I like to drop it an inch or so while pedaling to gain a little maneuverability.
    throet likes this.
    "living today like it is the first day of the rest of my week"

  16. #156
    Supporting Member
    MoJo SuppoRteR
    ATXZJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    County of haze
    Posts
    307
    Quote Originally Posted by notyal View Post
    I've never understood this line of thinking. Why would you pay $300+ and add a pound to your bike only to use it the least amount possible? I try to drop my post every time it might help at all, which is basically everywhere I'm not actively pedaling. Even the techy pedally trails like Cheese Grater, I like to drop it an inch or so while pedaling to gain a little maneuverability.
    Agree here. Seems some of more difficult tech here is more like trials riding than mountain biking. I usually drop my seat to add some space to move the bike around, and get up all the ledges etc.
    Last edited by ATXZJ; 01-03-2018 at 02:27 PM.
    throet likes this.
    16 Process 111DL
    15 Process 134DL
    16 Process 153DL
    16 Honzo DL
    16 Private Jake
    17 Hei Hei DLc

  17. #157
    Supporting Member
    MoJo SuppoRteR
    FJsnoozer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    1,750
    I have never ever used a dropper to get up a ledge, nor do I find it useful to use it to turn my bike since I am already out of the saddle with ample clearance to lean it in my thigh.

    They sure are nice if you are hitting any type of kicker where you could get high posted in mid air or any time you want to whip. I had a big wreck at the Camp Eagle Super D \ that would have never happened if I had the dropper installed. I was lucky enough to get back on the bike with no broken bones and ride home for a win, but it could have been very bad.
    Last edited by FJsnoozer; 01-03-2018 at 02:46 PM.

  18. #158
    MoJoMoRon bartman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    oakhill
    Posts
    10,584
    Other then being great on the usual drops & downhills, it's really nice on steep switch back turns like they have in the Rockies..easier to push the bike out while keeping your center of gravity inside the turn
    throet likes this.

  19. #159
    MoJo Mother Superior yosmithy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Cedar Park
    Posts
    785
    I think the most valuable time to use the dropper is when I roll up in the parking lot and drop down like a low rider before I dismount at my rig

    Panty dropper for sure
    ATXZJ, throet and endo_ like this.

  20. #160
    MoJo Priest TheX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Pflugerville
    Posts
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by yosmithy View Post
    I think the most valuable time to use the dropper is when I roll up in the parking lot and drop down like a low rider before I dismount at my rig

    Panty dropper for sure
    ^^^^ Truth ^^^^
    throet likes this.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Remove Ads

Search tags for this page (caching method: table)

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •