Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 159
Like Tree121Likes

Thread: What New Bikes Are you Considering for Central Texas Trails?

  1. #101
    MoJo Mother Superior yosmithy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Cedar Park
    Posts
    781
    Quote Originally Posted by CBaron View Post
    You should check his Strava and see how much "use" those bikes get off road. I bet Barry put in more off-road miles in last year than many roadies do road. That + CenTex = Broken Bikes

    -CJB
    I met Barry once out at Brushy, he was broke down on the trail with a grenaded rear hub. After a few minute conversation with him, I came to the conclusion "The Dude Breaks Shit"
    Barry likes this.

  2. #102
    I Build TOUGH Wheels Mattlikesbikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    1,389
    Quote Originally Posted by rockshins View Post
    Too tall, just under 6'6" and was told I was a little big for the XL.
    Find one and ride it. Everyone is built difference. I've got short ass legs and a long as torso at 6'2. I ride a 59cm road bike with the seat slammed and a longish stem. Nobody can tell you fit via email or over the phone.
    ATXZJ and RidingAgain like this.

  3. #103
    i do it all for the cookie
    MoJo SuppoRteR
    Spicewookie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    in the barn
    Posts
    14,125
    Quote Originally Posted by CBaron View Post
    You should check his Strava and see how much "use" those bikes get off road. I bet Barry put in more off-road miles in last year than many roadies do road. That + CenTex = Broken Bikes

    -CJB
    Iíve got no doubt heís a monster. Just saying that Iím surprised he stuck with a brand/model that broke 4x. Thatís really a testament to Banshee and their customer service + badass design.

  4. #104
    MoJo Friar biga9999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Cedar Park
    Posts
    113
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattlikesbikes View Post
    Find one and ride it. Everyone is built difference. I've got short ass legs and a long as torso at 6'2. I ride a 59cm road bike with the seat slammed and a longish stem. Nobody can tell you fit via email or over the phone.
    That is where I struggle. At 6'7" (36" inseam), many times XLs and XXLs are hard to find in a demo bike. Every once in a while I can find one to sit on though.

  5. #105
    MoJo Neophyte rockshins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    ATX
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattlikesbikes View Post
    Find one and ride it. Everyone is built difference. I've got short ass legs and a long as torso at 6'2. I ride a 59cm road bike with the seat slammed and a longish stem. Nobody can tell you fit via email or over the phone.
    Gonna try and find one, been okay with being a little too big for a bike but looking to spend a good chunk of change on a ride this time and want to fit well. I am hoping this push for longer bikes will benefit me. I fit well on a Specialized XXL but don't want another bike from them. Going to make a visit to Canyon Cycles! Appreciate the advice.

  6. #106
    Supporting Member
    MoJo SuppoRteR
    ATXZJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    County of haze
    Posts
    305
    Quote Originally Posted by biga9999 View Post
    That is where I struggle. At 6'7" (36" inseam), many times XLs and XXLs are hard to find in a demo bike. Every once in a while I can find one to sit on though.
    Building up an XL sentinel for a buddy thats 6'4 and has same inseam. Running a 185mm dropper to get the seat below stem height at full drop.....this bike is f*cking massive.....

    He demo'd an XXL hightower and preferred the XL sentinel.

    Name:  IMG_20180109_171647057.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  2.08 MB
    16 Process 111DL
    15 Process 134DL
    16 Process 153DL
    16 Honzo DL
    16 Private Jake
    17 Hei Hei DLc

  7. #107
    MoJo Priest Barry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    69
    Quote Originally Posted by Spicewookie View Post
    My Spitty has been perfect through 4-5 years of park travel and TTF test sessions around here with no complaints. I've never heard of someone breaking 4 of the same frame. Usually they move on. You must really like the Spitfire. I know I do.
    It is a nearly perfect fit for my preferences of geometry regarding reach/hta/bbh. I maybe would like the cs to be slightly shorter in the ~16.75" range instead of 17". And I'd like to see post mounts instead of IS mount on the rear brake. Other than that, it's perfect. But that's only part of why I'm still on it after breaking 4 of them.

    I have broken 11 frames over 15 years. 4 GF Sugars, 1 Giant VT, 1 Giant Reign, 1 Motobecane Lurch (steel!) and 4 Spitfires. I have accepted that I will break a frame roughly every 1.33 years. I don't ride bike outside of their design limits, but I'm not a smooth rider. I don't really leave the ground or jump (I don't have the skill), but I'll flow a drop. The problem is likely how I ride rocky tech--I charge into it.

    My first two V1 Spitfire breaks were under warranty and promptly replaced. The third one lasted me well outside of the warranty until late 2016. It eventually broke at the ht/dt/tt junction, just like the other two. Being well outside the warranty, I went with a V3 "crash replacement" for a decent deal. I though since I like it so much, why not give the complete re-design a try? So far I've broken one (during EB apparently!) at the bb/dt junction while under warranty.

    When I break this frame outside of the warranty, I'll be looking hard at other bike manufactures to terrorize.
    Spicewookie likes this.

  8. #108
    I only pedal the fun stuff... greenblur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    BCGB
    Posts
    743
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    It is a nearly perfect fit for my preferences of geometry regarding reach/hta/bbh. I maybe would like the cs to be slightly shorter in the ~16.75" range instead of 17". And I'd like to see post mounts instead of IS mount on the rear brake. Other than that, it's perfect. But that's only part of why I'm still on it after breaking 4 of them.

    I have broken 11 frames over 15 years. 4 GF Sugars, 1 Giant VT, 1 Giant Reign, 1 Motobecane Lurch (steel!) and 4 Spitfires. I have accepted that I will break a frame roughly every 1.33 years. I don't ride bike outside of their design limits, but I'm not a smooth rider. I don't really leave the ground or jump (I don't have the skill), but I'll flow a drop. The problem is likely how I ride rocky tech--I charge into it.

    My first two V1 Spitfire breaks were under warranty and promptly replaced. The third one lasted me well outside of the warranty until late 2016. It eventually broke at the ht/dt/tt junction, just like the other two. Being well outside the warranty, I went with a V3 "crash replacement" for a decent deal. I though since I like it so much, why not give the complete re-design a try? So far I've broken one (during EB apparently!) at the bb/dt junction while under warranty.

    When I break this frame outside of the warranty, I'll be looking hard at other bike manufactures to terrorize.
    Damn, homie. We need to study you for science or something. Anyone who can break multiple Banshees is definitely a beast.

  9. #109
    I only pedal the fun stuff... greenblur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    BCGB
    Posts
    743
    For the super tall dude, Pole and Geometron make some looooong ass bikes.

  10. #110
    MoJo Neophyte gmsampson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by rockshins View Post
    Gonna try and find one, been okay with being a little too big for a bike but looking to spend a good chunk of change on a ride this time and want to fit well. I am hoping this push for longer bikes will benefit me. I fit well on a Specialized XXL but don't want another bike from them. Going to make a visit to Canyon Cycles! Appreciate the advice.
    I'm 6'6"+ and have 38" inseam. I have a 2016 Trek Remedy 9 29er and it fits great. I have the purple 9 frame from that year because it was the only spec that came in the XXL (23") frame. Sadly, the Remedy is now 650B only and the only 23" FS frames now are the Fuel EX, though those are getting pretty close to the specs from the 2016 Remedy now.
    FJsnoozer and biga9999 like this.

  11. #111
    MoJo Friar biga9999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Cedar Park
    Posts
    113
    Quote Originally Posted by greenblur View Post
    For the super tall dude, Pole and Geometron make some looooong ass bikes.
    Pretty sure Mom would kill me if she found out I was riding the Pole.
    Cafeend and ericandrewscott like this.

  12. #112
    MoJo Mother Superior notyal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Wimberley
    Posts
    2,027
    Quote Originally Posted by biga9999 View Post
    Pretty sure Mom would kill me if she found out I was riding the Pole.
    Your mom should be more supportive of your life choices.
    "living today like it is the first day of the rest of my week"

  13. #113
    Supporting Member
    MoJo SuppoRteR
    Cheif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Cedar Park
    Posts
    423
    Quote Originally Posted by biga9999 View Post
    Pretty sure Mom would kill me if she found out I was riding the Pole.
    It's perfectly acceptable in todays lifestyle. No need to be ashamed.

  14. #114
    MoJo Neophyte rockshins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    ATX
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by ATXZJ View Post
    Building up an XL sentinel for a buddy thats 6'4 and has same inseam. Running a 185mm dropper to get the seat below stem height at full drop.....this bike is f*cking massive.....

    He demo'd an XXL hightower and preferred the XL sentinel.

    Name:  IMG_20180109_171647057.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  2.08 MB
    That seatpost though! Is it a Revive? I have a 150mm and am wishing for more drop.

  15. #115
    Supporting Member
    MoJo SuppoRteR
    ATXZJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    County of haze
    Posts
    305
    Quote Originally Posted by rockshins View Post
    That seatpost though! Is it a Revive? I have a 150mm and am wishing for more drop.
    Yes it's the yoke revive. It was the only longer travel dropper available that seemed to be fairly reliable. So far the build quality and action is top notch.
    16 Process 111DL
    15 Process 134DL
    16 Process 153DL
    16 Honzo DL
    16 Private Jake
    17 Hei Hei DLc

  16. #116
    MoJo Priest Wolly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Buda, Texas
    Posts
    40
    Sold my Hard tail and got a 2017 Niner Jet 9 alloy. Obviously this bike is heavy but I feel like the geometry is perfect for local trails. Sometimes the 29" wheels feel cumbersome but pedal strike is almost a non issue. I have toyed around with converting to a 27+ set up but for the $$ it might make more sense to pick up a fixer-up'r hard tail. I miss the light n tight feel of the hard tail...

    I digress. Seems like the new trail or XC/trail bikes all share similar geo and work well here and can be 27+ or 29 depending on your pref. I know I am stating the obvious here but the sun is up, I have had way too much coffee and gotta load up to head down to Spring Lake for some chilly laps on Roadrunner
    Cheers

  17. #117
    Novice Narwhal ericandrewscott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Austin, United States
    Posts
    446
    Holy crap, the Pole Machine is probably on my list after riding one for a bit yesterday. Talk about plush. Extremely long wheelbase so you can trackstand with ease and it's almost impossible to go otb. It still climbs like a beast though. It's confidence boosting for sure.

  18. #118
    MoJo Priest Barry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    69
    The Pole looks nice, but for my preferences a near 18" cs is a non starter. Probably stable af though.
    ericandrewscott likes this.

  19. #119
    Hugh Jass MrMentallo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    NW Austin
    Posts
    1,204
    I'd be good with the Pole if we had more elevation locally to take advantage of that long footprint. That Pole would not do well at places like Mulligan with all the tight switchbacks. I'd love to take it full tilt down the Devils Staircase at City Park though.
    ATXZJ and throet like this.

  20. #120
    Supporting Member
    MoJo SuppoRteR
    ATXZJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    County of haze
    Posts
    305
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMentallo View Post
    I'd be good with the Pole if we had more elevation locally to take advantage of that long footprint. That Pole would not do well at places like Mulligan with all the tight switchbacks. I'd love to take it full tilt down the Devils Staircase at City Park though.
    was thinking the same thing.

    A bike that long has no place on the switchback, switchback, switchback, ledge, ledge trails we have here. It'd be a miserable ride.

    On the steeps in BC, different story.
    MrMentallo and throet like this.
    16 Process 111DL
    15 Process 134DL
    16 Process 153DL
    16 Honzo DL
    16 Private Jake
    17 Hei Hei DLc

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Remove Ads

Search tags for this page (caching method: table)

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •