Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 111
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Do we really need to do the heat thing again?Cougars,Sneks,P.Ivy, and now HEAT.

  1. #21
    MoJoMoRon bartman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    oakhill
    Posts
    10,961
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinerider View Post
    Just lucky it happened between Russell and Hogg, so I could stop at the guardshack. Hate to think if it happened on the southside.
    Thatís the problem w riders like us, we know exactly the energy it takes to ride something but we donít factor in the heat until our bodies acclimate which is usually later..I agree w the post about always staying hydrated but there are occassions when you can drink too much water like the guy who died on the Texas water safari a few years ago from Hyponatremia...Summer here can be just as bad or worse then winter at altitude. Be smart
    throet and Tree magnet like this.

  2. #22
    MoJo Pope throet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Cedar Park, TX
    Posts
    533
    Even the squirrels are seeking refuge from the heat. This feller can be found laid out in this same spot in our yard every afternoon.

    Name:  IMAG2514.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  774.9 KB
    notyal likes this.

  3. #23
    Mojo Riposte June Bug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Centex
    Posts
    6,848
    Saw a wee rat snek this morning on the Southern Walnut Creek Multi-Use Path. S/he was only about 6 inches onto the concrete. It's hard, when there are a lot of shadows, to distinguish an actual slitherin from the shadow of a bit of grass until the last second.

    I let out my usual involuntary snake shriek and kept pedaling.
    Woman Who Drinks 6 Cups Of Coffee and 6 Diet Cokes Per Day Trying To Cut Down On Blue Light At Bedtime
    The Onion

  4. #24
    prodigal son of Austin Teamsloan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    North Austin
    Posts
    1,819
    "Take me away owl, save me from this hell."
    throet likes this.
    -the oracle has spoken.

    Trying to live the MTB lifestyle on a Jogger budget.
    '12 Santa Cruz BlurLT 2.2
    '07 Scott Scale 30
    '01 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc (loaner/commuter bike)

    Charcoal Gray 2010 Subaru Outback 2.5i


  5. #25
    monkey see, monkey doo Chongo loco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Monkeyin' around at work
    Posts
    3,525
    Quote Originally Posted by bartman View Post
    Thatís the problem w riders like us, we know exactly the energy it takes to ride something but we donít factor in the heat until our bodies acclimate which is usually later..I agree w the post about always staying hydrated but there are occassions when you can drink too much water like the guy who died on the Texas water safari a few years ago from Hyponatremia...Summer here can be just as bad or worse then winter at altitude. Be smart
    Raises hand. Yep, ALMOST got me. HHH in witchita 18 years ago. Rode a friends slower pace, first big mistake. Didnít have enough electrolytes with me because of it, so was slamming a ton of water to attempt to stay cool and get ahead of dehydration, mistake 2. Finish the century, saw 116 degrees on the bank thermometer at the finish. drank a ton of Gatorade and some salty stuff which only made me barf it all up, mistake 3. Let the support staff load me with 2 IV bags without checking my sodium level, near fatal mistake 4. Ride buddy finds me incoherent a couple hours later and calls 911. I had a seizure and almost freakin died from it in route to ER because of hyponatremia. My lungs are a bit FUBAR cause of all the scarring from aspiration pneumonia in both lungs. So heat and altitude kick my butt a little worse each year. Fuck it Iím alive.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "It's a dog eat dog world, Woody and I'm wearing Milk Bone underwear?" ~ N Peterson

  6. #26
    MoJoMoRon bartman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    oakhill
    Posts
    10,961
    Quote Originally Posted by Chongo loco View Post
    Raises hand. Yep, ALMOST got me. HHH in witchita 18 years ago. Rode a friends slower pace, first big mistake. Didnít have enough electrolytes with me because of it, so was slamming a ton of water to attempt to stay cool and get ahead of dehydration, mistake 2. Finish the century, saw 116 degrees on the bank thermometer at the finish. drank a ton of Gatorade and some salty stuff which only made me barf it all up, mistake 3. Let the support staff load me with 2 IV bags without checking my sodium level, near fatal mistake 4. Ride buddy finds me incoherent a couple hours later and calls 911. I had a seizure and almost freakin died from it in route to ER because of hyponatremia. My lungs are a bit FUBAR cause of all the scarring from aspiration pneumonia in both lungs. So heat and altitude kick my butt a little worse each year. Fuck it Iím alive.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Wow Dood..you are lucky. 👍👍

  7. #27
    h8ter of all things fun. The Toninator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    HookersandBlowtown, Jr.
    Posts
    9,055
    Not to brag but I think I'm going to have to turn on the A/C this afronoon for the first time this year. Not sure yet thought, have all the doors and windows open and fans too.
    Ya'll don't know what it's like
    being male, middle class and white.

  8. #28
    Ayatollah of Rock and Rollah mack_turtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    ATX southside
    Posts
    1,961
    Visited family in Houston this weekend and the AC at my inlaws went out. We stuck it out and we were surprised to discover how comfortable a house can actually be with a lot of fans moving the air.
    shotgun jeremy likes this.
    won't you be my neighbor?

  9. #29
    MoJo Mother Superior FJsnoozer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    2,029
    Its not that hot in the greenbelt after 6 PM.

    Weigh in before and after rides. Replenish accordingly.

    I took down 40 oz of gatorade/water mix in the last 15 miles of my ride on Saturday. I was surprised to be out of water just as I walked in the door. I was still 4 pounds down. 3 hours, of riding and about 100 oz of water intake. That's a net water loss of around 10 pounds. Summer is here.

  10. #30
    monkey see, monkey doo Chongo loco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Monkeyin' around at work
    Posts
    3,525
    Quote Originally Posted by The Toninator View Post
    Not to brag but I think I'm going to have to turn on the A/C this afronoon for the first time this year. Not sure yet thought, have all the doors and windows open and fans too.
    No wonder it smelled better last time I went thru Houston. 🤨


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The Toninator likes this.
    "It's a dog eat dog world, Woody and I'm wearing Milk Bone underwear?" ~ N Peterson

  11. #31
    Live Medium Bamwa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Gnarnia
    Posts
    2,603
    Quote Originally Posted by biga9999 View Post
    Drink water till you can't drink any more... then drink more.
    Don't forget the nuun tabs. You need more than just plain water.

  12. #32
    Mojo Riposte June Bug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Centex
    Posts
    6,848
    Hyponatremia. Drinking too much water can be as lethal as dehydration.

    Snippets from the Mayo Clinic article on hyponatremia:

    Hyponatremia occurs when the concentration of sodium in your blood is abnormally low. Sodium is an electrolyte, and it helps regulate the amount of water that's in and around your cells.

    In hyponatremia, one or more factors — ranging from an underlying medical condition to drinking too much water — cause the sodium in your body to become diluted....

    ....Drinking too much water. Drinking excessive amounts of water can cause low sodium by overwhelming the kidneys' ability to excrete water. Because you lose sodium through sweat, drinking too much water during endurance activities, such as marathons and triathlons, can also dilute the sodium content of your blood.

    Intensive physical activities. People who drink too much water while taking part in marathons, ultramarathons, triathlons and other long-distance, high-intensity activities are at an increased risk of hyponatremia.
    I've been using SKRATCH since last summer; love that stuff. If you want to separate fueling and electrolytes, NUUN is great for the electrolyte part.
    Last edited by June Bug; 05-29-2018 at 07:18 PM.
    Woman Who Drinks 6 Cups Of Coffee and 6 Diet Cokes Per Day Trying To Cut Down On Blue Light At Bedtime
    The Onion

  13. #33
    MoJo Mother Superior fontarin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    1,384
    I keep a tab of Nuun at my desk and usually drink a bottle mid-afternoon if I'm planning on riding. I tend to use Skratch more during races/long events cause I'm bad about not eating enough.

  14. #34
    MoJoMoRon bartman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    oakhill
    Posts
    10,961
    Quote Originally Posted by FJsnoozer View Post
    Its not that hot in the greenbelt after 6 PM.

    Weigh in before and after rides. Replenish accordingly.

    I took down 40 oz of gatorade/water mix in the last 15 miles of my ride on Saturday. I was surprised to be out of water just as I walked in the door. I was still 4 pounds down. 3 hours, of riding and about 100 oz of water intake. That's a net water loss of around 10 pounds. Summer is here.
    Yeah, I was down 5 lbs of water yesterday..drink til ya pee clear. Mello Yello is no bueno

  15. #35
    MoJoMoRon bartman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    oakhill
    Posts
    10,961
    Quote Originally Posted by June Bug View Post
    Hyponatremia. Drinking too much water can be as lethal as dehydration.
    (Hank Hill) ďWhat the DAMN HELL! ďI thought you had me blocked!
    Ok back to panties, panty wasters & panty sniffers..
    (DUVAL, Apackoflips Now): ďI love the smell of panties 1st thing in the morning, smells like VictoryĒ
    Or a yeast infection DOH!
    Quit hittin it so hard buckaroos..
    Last edited by bartman; 05-30-2018 at 06:51 AM.

  16. #36
    MoJo Priest cwilkATX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    66

    Do we really need to do the heat thing again?Cougars,Sneks,P.Ivy, and now HEAT.

    With this recent heat Iíve had better luck downing pickle juice compared to Gatorade in my pre-ride prep. Supposedly, it has ď10x more electrolytes.Ē I made the switch after going through my 100oz CB and having both quads fully lock on the GB a couple weeks ago. I felt fine at the time too which made it even more frustrating. Yellow mustard packets are lightweight and have a lot of sodium that can help fight cramping. Itís good to bring a few as an emergency backup.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  17. #37
    h8ter of all things fun. The Toninator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    HookersandBlowtown, Jr.
    Posts
    9,055
    Quote Originally Posted by Chongo loco View Post
    No wonder it smelled better last time I went thru Houston. ��
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Awe that's sweet but it probably smelt better because I moved
    Ya'll don't know what it's like
    being male, middle class and white.

  18. #38
    MoJo Mother Superior FJsnoozer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    2,029
    Quote Originally Posted by cwilkATX View Post
    With this recent heat I’ve had better luck downing pickle juice compared to Gatorade in my pre-ride prep. Supposedly, it has “10x more electrolytes.” I made the switch after going through my 100oz CB and having both quads fully lock on the GB a couple weeks ago. I felt fine at the time too which made it even more frustrating. Yellow mustard packets are lightweight and have a lot of sodium that can help fight cramping. It’s good to bring a few as an emergency backup.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I carry the pickle in a sealed bag you buy from the Gas station. Ill toss them to folks in trouble too.

    It is not the sodium, Its the vinegar/acetic acid within that stops the muscle misfire. This is why picklejuice, vinegar and technically tabasco would work. You just have to live with them in your stomach and if its empty you might twist it in a knot.

  19. #39
    MoJo Pope ATXZJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    1979
    Posts
    585
    I work outside for around 5 hrs total exposure per day and usually go through 4-5 bottles of water just to stay somewhat hydrated. Winter, fall and some of the spring is my riding season here. In the summer its mostly gym and i start looking for places out of state to get my MTB fix.
    16 Process 111DL
    16 Honzo DL
    16 Private Jake
    17 Hei Hei DLc

  20. #40
    MoJoMoRon bartman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    oakhill
    Posts
    10,961
    Quote Originally Posted by ATXZJ View Post
    In the summer its mostly gym and i start looking for places out of state to get my MTB fix.
    Knew IT! LimpTard!
    Too flaccid to ride because itís too hot outside..sniff sniff..biotch

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Remove Ads

Search tags for this page (caching method: table)

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •