Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Huntsville State Park

  1. #1
    MoJo Mother Superior yosmithy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Cedar Park
    Posts
    1,237

    Huntsville State Park

    I have a chance to take off for a camping+MTBing+Kayak fishing 4 days next week, and was considering heading out to Huntsville State Park. Has anyone ridden out there recently? If so, any suggestions on trails? I know there are some closures in the park, but also read on FB that GOHRBA just opened up some adjoining trails? Any other experience with that place (I've never been, but always wanted to check it out)?

  2. #2
    MoJo Cardinal zander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Round Rock
    Posts
    365
    Camping is good. Biking is ok. Decent amount of miles but nothing super special. Lots of up and down in pine trees and super sandy corners. Rooty too. Not technical at all but still fun. The park itself is quite pretty and the camping is pretty good - i'd rent a shelter as they are more spread out than the tent sites. Given all you want to do I'm sure it would be a good trip. Enjoy.
    yosmithy likes this.

  3. #3
    MoJo Pope throet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Cedar Park, TX
    Posts
    533
    Last couple of times that I was there part of the main loop was closed but it was still good fun riding out-and-back. I've been parking in the area circled on the map below, and then riding the Chinquapin trail counter-clockwise. The trail was blocked at around #1 on the map last time out. Riding the Triple C cutoff out-and-back adds a fun extra mile or so. I'm really not familiar with any other adjoining trails, but will be interested to know what you find out. Overall it's a great change of scenery being in the pine forest. Minimal climbing, lots of roots, and sandy in spots, but multiple line choices on what is essentially double-track makes for some nice flow. Not sure when you're going, but the humidity will be hellish in the summer.

    Name:  Sam Houston Park.PNG
Views: 253
Size:  699.5 KB
    gotdurt and yosmithy like this.

  4. #4
    Flatulent Fellow gotdurt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Here and there
    Posts
    872
    Quote Originally Posted by yosmithy View Post
    I have a chance to take off for a camping+MTBing+Kayak fishing 4 days next week, and was considering heading out to Huntsville State Park. Has anyone ridden out there recently? If so, any suggestions on trails? I know there are some closures in the park, but also read on FB that GOHRBA just opened up some adjoining trails? Any other experience with that place (I've never been, but always wanted to check it out)?
    Grew up there, last rode about a month ago... Hit me up, I can tell you about all you want to know about the park, trails, Hville itself, etc. Oh, and they just reopened the NF trails adjacent to the north last week, they connect to the park. You are brave to want to ride there in August though...

    Oh, there's a fb page, "Huntsville Mountain Bike Trails", that stays pretty up to date with changes, closures, etc.

    Good bass in Raven Lake, btw....



    Blah, blah, blah, Tapatalk
    Last edited by gotdurt; 08-19-2018 at 12:16 AM.
    yosmithy, ATXZJ and throet like this.
    Over the hill, and shredding down
    Youtube

  5. #5
    Flatulent Fellow gotdurt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Here and there
    Posts
    872
    Here are the adjacent NF trails that just reopened, you can get all the miles you want bewteen these and the park. My parents live in the neighborhood next to the "North Loop"...

    Blah, blah, blah, Tapatalk
    Over the hill, and shredding down
    Youtube

  6. #6
    MoJo Mother Superior yosmithy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Cedar Park
    Posts
    1,237
    Thanks all, I keep hearing this "sand" comment from various reports, so not looking forward to that, but really looking forward to the change in scenery.

    Gotdurt, I'll give you a call before i head out on Thursday. I realize Aug is going to suck, but I don't get much opportunity to get out camping, so this is more out of chance than anything. I'll probably spend more time on the lake than the trails, but can't miss a chance to adventure new trails.

  7. #7
    Flatulent Fellow gotdurt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Here and there
    Posts
    872
    Quote Originally Posted by yosmithy View Post
    Thanks all, I keep hearing this "sand" comment from various reports, so not looking forward to that, but really looking forward to the change in scenery.

    Gotdurt, I'll give you a call before i head out on Thursday. I realize Aug is going to suck, but I don't get much opportunity to get out camping, so this is more out of chance than anything. I'll probably spend more time on the lake than the trails, but can't miss a chance to adventure new trails.
    The sand shouldn't be a problem with decent tires; it was never really a factor with me, even back in the days of 1.95 tires when I lived there. If you are lucky enough to get a little rain a couple days before, you'll experience cornering traction unlike anything around here.

    Have you ridden your MC in the Sam Houston NF? Tony and I used to shred that place, it's where I learned to ride a MC... you should probably take that with you too

    Blah, blah, blah, Tapatalk
    Bigwheel Bart likes this.
    Over the hill, and shredding down
    Youtube

  8. #8
    MoJo Mother Superior yosmithy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Cedar Park
    Posts
    1,237
    Quote Originally Posted by gotdurt View Post
    Have you ridden your MC in the Sam Houston NF? Tony and I used to shred that place, it's where I learned to ride a MC... you should probably take that with you too
    Nope, never made it out there in the scooter. It was on the list....

    I'm not sure I can fit Camping gear, MTB + gear, Kayak + fishing gear and the KTM + riding gear in on one trip though

  9. #9
    prodigal son of Austin Teamsloan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    North Austin
    Posts
    1,819
    Pretty sure Gotdurt has you covered on info, but I'll just throw in my 2 cents. It's one of my favorite state parks to camp in especially now that I have kids. It's very popular with Houston area families and scout troops. So, if you're going on the weekend get there early for the best choice in spots. The humidity is going to be pretty awful, so I'd recommend sleeping in a hammock this time of year. We usually go in either Nov. or March. Also there are gators there, which if you're kayaking should make for some fun night time floats with a strong flashlight or headlamp (they're small).
    gotdurt, throet and yosmithy like this.
    -the oracle has spoken.

    Trying to live the MTB lifestyle on a Jogger budget.
    '12 Santa Cruz BlurLT 2.2
    '07 Scott Scale 30
    '01 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc (loaner/commuter bike)

    Charcoal Gray 2010 Subaru Outback 2.5i


  10. #10
    MoJo Mother Superior yosmithy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Cedar Park
    Posts
    1,237
    Yup, taking the bike lights for the Kayak for some gator watching
    gotdurt likes this.

  11. #11
    Flatulent Fellow gotdurt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Here and there
    Posts
    872
    I was just looking at the weather, and it looks like you picked a really good weekend, lows around 72... bring a fan and get a spot with electricity, and you'll be fine. Hmm, my kayak is already there...

    Blah, blah, blah, Tapatalk
    yosmithy likes this.
    Over the hill, and shredding down
    Youtube

  12. #12
    MoJo Mother Superior Cafeend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Eastbound and Down
    Posts
    1,016
    For a small fee I can rent you my trailer


    Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

  13. #13
    MoJo Mother Superior yosmithy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Cedar Park
    Posts
    1,237
    Quote Originally Posted by Cafeend View Post
    For a small fee I can rent you my trailer
    I may take you up on that offer when I can convince my wife to go "roughing it". Right now her idea of wilderness living is sitting on the outside at Kerby Lane
    throet likes this.

  14. #14
    Live Medium Bamwa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Gnarnia
    Posts
    2,603
    Quote Originally Posted by Cafeend View Post
    For a small fee I can rent you my trailer
    So I guess you've never seen Breaking Bad.....

    or you have!!
    Grab life by the timbales.

    Don't forget to stop and smell the Rosemary.

  15. #15
    MoJo Mother Superior Cafeend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Eastbound and Down
    Posts
    1,016
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamwa View Post
    So I guess you've never seen Breaking Bad.....

    or you have!!
    I didnt tell him the "fee"

  16. #16
    MoJo Mother Superior yosmithy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Cedar Park
    Posts
    1,237
    Quote Originally Posted by Cafeend View Post
    I didnt tell him the "fee"
    I'm so looking forward to your trailer

    Name:  x1080-YDa.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  230.8 KB

  17. #17
    MoJo Mother Superior Cafeend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Eastbound and Down
    Posts
    1,016
    Deal. Is. Off


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  18. #18
    MoJo Mother Superior yosmithy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Cedar Park
    Posts
    1,237
    Quote Originally Posted by Cafeend View Post
    Deal. Is. Off
    Damn, I was going to wash my tighty Whitey's first

  19. #19
    MoJo Priest FatBoyOnaDiet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by gotdurt View Post
    The sand shouldn't be a problem with decent tires; it was never really a factor with me, even back in the days of 1.95 tires when I lived there. If you are lucky enough to get a little rain a couple days before, you'll experience cornering traction unlike anything around here.

    Have you ridden your MC in the Sam Houston NF? Tony and I used to shred that place, it's where I learned to ride a MC... you should probably take that with you too

    Blah, blah, blah, Tapatalk
    I was just about to ask about this. Are motos allowed on all the trails mentioned or just the NF trails you posted an image of? Any more info on these NF trails online? Last time I tried looking at the NF website I didn't find much.
    Currently 3.0". With hard work and dedication I hope to see 2.8" maybe even 2.6"

  20. #20
    Flatulent Fellow gotdurt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Here and there
    Posts
    872
    Quote Originally Posted by FatBoyOnaDiet View Post
    I was just about to ask about this. Are motos allowed on all the trails mentioned or just the NF trails you posted an image of? Any more info on these NF trails online? Last time I tried looking at the NF website I didn't find much.
    Different NF trails; all trails on the map above are bikes only. The only trails that motos are allowed on are off of 1375, near Lake Conroe.
    https://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/tex...30198&actid=93

    For more questions on SHNF, you might go join twtex.com and check out the dirt/off road sections.
    Last edited by gotdurt; 08-21-2018 at 11:19 AM.
    Over the hill, and shredding down
    Youtube

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Search tags for this page (caching method: table)

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •