Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 100

Thread: Fellow cyclist killed

  1. #1
    MoJo Loco Sugar Mama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Dripping Springs, TX
    Posts
    441

    Fellow cyclist killed

    Dear Friends,

    My neighbor, Adam Raymond, was killed while cycling near our home in Dripping Springs on March 23. Born in Chicago, Adam was an Army veteran and was about to deploy to Iraq with his unit. As an optometrist, Adam loved his work and was very good at his chosen profession. Adam was married to Libby and recently was blessed with a son, Adrian, who is now just four months old. Adam was an avid cyclist and could often be found cycling in and around the Austin area. A college fund for Adrian has been set up to help with the future cost of Adrianís pursuit of higher education. Details are below.


    Donations can be sent directly to:



    USAA IMCO

    P.O. Box 659453

    San Antonio, TX 78265



    Checks should be made payable to: USAA College Savings Plan. It is very

    important that you include Adrian's account number on the check:


    500611133-01.
    "The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best friends -- if they're okay, then it's you."

  2. #2
    MoJo Cardinal cupcake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    wonderland
    Posts
    331
    Aw, I hate to hear that hearbreaking news. How hard it must be for his family to bear the grief of it.
    .You don't have to watch Dynasty to have an attitude

  3. #3
    MoJoMoRon bartman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    oakhill
    Posts
    10,967
    thats a shame, I read about him in the paper the other day.

  4. #4
    mOjO mOtO
    MoJo SuppoRteR
    rearviewmirror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Melbourne / Austin
    Posts
    6,436
    Blog Entries
    1
    Sorry to hear this.... RIP

    I can't help but to wonder where/when he was killed? Was it a major roadway or on some desolate back road?

  5. #5
    MoJo Mother Superior big sky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    A town
    Posts
    688
    Here is the story as it appeared in the STatesman on Sat., 3/24/07.

    HAYS COUNTY

    Bicyclist killed in crash Friday


    An Austin bicyclist was killed Friday morning in Hays County in a collision with a pickup.

    Adam Raymond, a 36-year-old optometrist, was biking south on Mount Gainor Road north of Prochnow Road about 6:30 a.m. when a pickup driven by Bradley Danz of Austin hit him head-on, Department of Public Safety officials said.

    Raymond, who was not wearing a helmet, was pronounced dead at the scene, officials said.

    Danz was not injured, officials said.

  6. #6
    MoJo Mother Superior TBFKAHG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Austin, Tx
    Posts
    1,167
    Quote Originally Posted by big sky View Post
    Here is the story as it appeared in the STatesman on Sat., 3/24/07.
    Adam Raymond, a 36-year-old optometrist, was biking south on Mount Gainor Road north of Prochnow Road about 6:30 a.m. when a pickup driven by Bradley Danz of Austin hit him head-on, Department of Public Safety officials said.

    Raymond, who was not wearing a helmet, was pronounced dead at the scene, officials said.
    I love how they point out that he wasn't wearing a helmet but leave out any details that could actually establish who was at fault. In a head on collision a helmet likely would have made no difference in the outcome but that is the phrase most people will instantly key in on. If he was riding with traffic then it would have taken some gross negligence on the drivers part to hit him head on and he should be held accountable.
    But as we all know, in Texas there are pretty much no repercussions for a negligent driver in the case of a cyclist fatality

  7. #7
    MoJo Mother Superior hammerheadbikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    3,348
    oh man..
    that's heartwrenching

    so sad to hear
    Charles Coker
    www.hammerheadbikes.com
    charles@hammerheadbikes.com
    LESS TALK, MORE RIDE !!!

  8. #8
    MoJo Cardinal bigred's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    pville
    Posts
    432
    Quote Originally Posted by TBFKAHG View Post
    I love how they point out that he wasn't wearing a helmet but leave out any details that could actually establish who was at fault. In a head on collision a helmet likely would have made no difference in the outcome but that is the phrase most people will instantly key in on. If he was riding with traffic then it would have taken some gross negligence on the drivers part to hit him head on and he should be held accountable.
    But as we all know, in Texas there are pretty much no repercussions for a negligent driver in the case of a cyclist fatality

    Agreed

  9. #9
    Female DirtFace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Cedar Park
    Posts
    9,623
    Geezus Ashley that is horrible. My deepest sympathy.

  10. #10
    searcher damnewc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    South Austin
    Posts
    1,391
    That really sucks.

  11. #11
    Mojo Slow-poke Austin Bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Seat 21B - exit row aisle
    Posts
    17,036
    That sucks.
    "A person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all" - Paul Westerberg

    庄富瑞

    Click HERE for all your Austin Biking information


  12. #12
    Mojo gringo
    MoJo SuppoRteR
    loco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    South of Heaven, West of Hell
    Posts
    9,112
    Quote Originally Posted by TBFKAHG View Post
    I love how they point out that he wasn't wearing a helmet but leave out any details that could actually establish who was at fault. In a head on collision a helmet likely would have made no difference in the outcome but that is the phrase most people will instantly key in on. If he was riding with traffic then it would have taken some gross negligence on the drivers part to hit him head on and he should be held accountable.
    But as we all know, in Texas there are pretty much no repercussions for a negligent driver in the case of a cyclist fatality
    Without details, why do we always assume it's the motorist's fault? As always, it's horrible news, but people always use these sad cases to rant about cars. Sometimes it's just poor judgement by a rider.

    Sorry to hear about your friend, Ashley.
    RESPECT cape cult member #23, Respector of dog houses.

    Who needs 3 more inches???

  13. #13
    Supporting Member
    MoJo SuppoRteR
    unsub1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Allandale
    Posts
    1,371
    I can't speak for "we", but "I" see motorists put cyclists' lives in danger EVERY time I go riding. I only occasionally see cyclists do anything that one would think could cost them their life. Man, I keep thinking about the deaths on 360 and how psycho the drivers were.

    I know that's not always the case, but the VAST majority of the time. The less I drive, the more driving seems crazy to me.

    On the flip-side, why do so many cyclists ride on the white line that divides the car lane from the bike lane? So nutty.

    Anyway, bad stuff. So sorry to hear that kind of thing.

    -steven

    Quote Originally Posted by loco View Post
    Without details, why do we always assume it's the motorist's fault? As always, it's horrible news, but people always use these sad cases to rant about cars. Sometimes it's just poor judgement by a rider.

    Sorry to hear about your friend, Ashley.

  14. #14
    Female DirtFace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Cedar Park
    Posts
    9,623
    Quote Originally Posted by unsub1 View Post
    On the flip-side, why do so many cyclists ride on the white line that divides the car lane from the bike lane? So nutty.
    I was wondering the same thing just this last Sunday. I saw a couple cyclists riding about a mile in front of me hugging the line. I was riding about as close as I could to the edge of the pavement (without falling off) when I passed this couple riding ON the white line. Cars were FLYING down Parmer lane and I cringed as I saw how close they come to the white line. I wanted to say something, but then...what would I say? "Hey, you might try riding further away from the line because I've been watching how close cars are coming next to you." They'd probably just flip me off.

    On a sidenote...I had all but given up my road bike. Had been almost a year off of it. I was scared shitless after the cyclist deaths. But then St. Brian took me out for a ride to quell my nerves. Took some back roads, added some extra stops at intersections to make contact (a direct wave) from drivers. I had always ridden my bike from my house to take this route but decided Lakeline was just too risky. So now, I DRIVE my car and park it at the HEB so I can drop-in and ride on a huge shoulder.

  15. #15
    Supporting Member
    MoJo SuppoRteR
    unsub1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Allandale
    Posts
    1,371
    I was VERY serious about road riding from 96 until 2004. I've always been into cyclocross bikes and finally sold my last road bike at the end of 2005. Don't miss it a bit. I ride my cross bike on the road occasionally but mostly ride long road rides to the trail heads around town. On the mountain bike or Monster X I won't think twice about jumping off the shoulder or on a sidewalk or cutting through a park.

    I'm definitely a mountain biker again.

    -steven

    Quote Originally Posted by DirtFace View Post
    On a sidenote...I had all but given up my road bike.

  16. #16
    What time does the ride start? Bizarro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    East Coast knar
    Posts
    4,398
    RIP
    It's so sad to hear....my heart goes out to his family.



    Road biking it seems is really life/death when you get out there. Screw that...Last time I got on skinny tires was in the 80's....of course..I'm talking about my 10 speed. I'll stick with the fatties.
    Give me dirt or give me nothing.

    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." -- Albert Einstein

    "In my world, you don't call someone "stupid" then come begging for a handout."---Singlespeedster ---god bless this man

    KnoLLy owner KnoLLy whore

  17. #17
    MoJoMoRon bartman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    oakhill
    Posts
    10,967
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtFace View Post
    I was wondering the same thing just this last Sunday. I saw a couple cyclists riding about a mile in front of me hugging the line. I was riding about as close as I could to the edge of the pavement (without falling off) when I passed this couple riding ON the white line. Cars were FLYING down Parmer lane and I cringed as I saw how close they come to the white line. I wanted to say something, but then...what would I say? "Hey, you might try riding further away from the line because I've been watching how close cars are coming next to you." They'd probably just flip me off.

    On a sidenote...I had all but given up my road bike. Had been almost a year off of it. I was scared shitless after the cyclist deaths. But then St. Brian took me out for a ride to quell my nerves. Took some back roads, added some extra stops at intersections to make contact (a direct wave) from drivers. I had always ridden my bike from my house to take this route but decided Lakeline was just too risky. So now, I DRIVE my car and park it at the HEB so I can drop-in and ride on a huge shoulder.
    I road mine last Sat. for the first time since last october partially for the same reasons. I ride to relieve stress and to have fun but Its hard to remain stress free when someone buzzes you. I have found that there is a direct proportion between me wanting to stomp the living crap out of someone who buzzes me to not riding my road bike.

  18. #18
    MoJo Mother Superior TBFKAHG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Austin, Tx
    Posts
    1,167
    Quote Originally Posted by loco View Post
    Without details, why do we always assume it's the motorist's fault? As always, it's horrible news, but people always use these sad cases to rant about cars. Sometimes it's just poor judgement by a rider.

    Sorry to hear about your friend, Ashley.
    Actually I never placed blame on the motorist. I simply said that the article didn't reveal any info that could lead to determine who was at fault yet they made sure to point out the lack of helmet which means every non-cyclist out there will automatically jump to the conclusion that the cyclist was at risk.

    After that was just a generalization how even in cases where the driver is clearly at fault they get little more than a slap on the wrist.

  19. #19
    MoJo Cardinal bigred's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    pville
    Posts
    432
    Quote Originally Posted by loco View Post
    Without details, why do we always assume it's the motorist's fault? As always, it's horrible news, but people always use these sad cases to rant about cars. Sometimes it's just poor judgement by a rider.

    Sorry to hear about your friend, Ashley.
    Well, the article did say he was hit HEAD ON. Just a guess, but I bet the cyclist didn't cross over the center line.

  20. #20
    MoJo Loco Sugar Mama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Dripping Springs, TX
    Posts
    441
    From what I know, and what has been relayed to me, the motorist did nothing wrong. I believe visibility was poor as it was very early in the morning. The driver was very, very upset about the accident. Adam had gotten up early to get his ride in because his best friend was coming into town for the weekend later that day.

    Though Adam was not wearing a helmet, it would not have saved him. It was bad.
    "The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best friends -- if they're okay, then it's you."

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Remove Ads

Search tags for this page (caching method: table)

adam raymond accident hays
,
car accident on parmer ln austin tx october 2013
,

cecily hyde austin

,
loco free sugar moma tex
,
prayer for fellow cyclist killed
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •