Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 56 of 56

Thread: pedals

  1. #41
    Mojo Buckeye -- Too Much Front Brake? Eokerholm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Austin (RR)
    Posts
    5,106
    Quote Originally Posted by Dklein View Post
    So now that it's unanimous on the Times..... What do you think about shoe selection? Or should you just pick whatever is comfortable?

    Also, being the total newb that I am, would the Times be too hard to learn on? I use speedplays on my road bike but I can see how the large cup of a cleat wouldn't work here.

    Thanks for any ideas!
    Times are super easy to learn on and ride with and more forgiving than SPDs.

    Shoes, just like bikes it's all about FIT.

    Sidis run narrow, especially in the heel area. The sure fit snug on the foot, but heel, just a little too much for me, post surgery.

    I'm a specialized carbon fan. Been riding them for about 5 years now. Very comfortable. Ditch the ratchet system and go with Velcro. Save money and wear and tare.
    Go Big or Go Home!

  2. #42
    MoJo Pope CSXer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    78210
    Posts
    568
    Quote Originally Posted by Dklein View Post
    So now that it's unanimous on the Times..... What do you think about shoe selection? Or should you just pick whatever is comfortable?

    Also, being the total newb that I am, would the Times be too hard to learn on? I use speedplays on my road bike but I can see how the large cup of a cleat wouldn't work here.

    Thanks for any ideas!
    It's far from unanimous, there's just a vocal group speaking up. Pedals are one of those interminable discussions with no real answer... I'd guess that at least half the folks speaking up for Times have sworn by some other pedal in the past when they were in love with it or will be swearing by some other pedal in the future when they're on to the next big thing.

    If you use Speedplays on the road, I'd say stick with what you know. I'm a huge proponent of using the same pedal system with all your bikes for safety reasons.

    Speedplay Frogs are one of the original clipless mtb pedals with lots of happy users in all sorts of climates. I've actually got a pair that you're welcome to try if you like, they're just sitting in a box at the moment.
    flow daddy flow...

  3. #43
    MoJo Priest Dklein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Cedar Park, TX
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by CSXer View Post
    It's far from unanimous, there's just a vocal group speaking up. Pedals are one of those interminable discussions with no real answer... I'd guess that at least half the folks speaking up for Times have sworn by some other pedal in the past when they were in love with it or will be swearing by some other pedal in the future when they're on to the next big thing.

    If you use Speedplays on the road, I'd say stick with what you know. I'm a huge proponent of using the same pedal system with all your bikes for safety reasons.

    Speedplay Frogs are one of the original clipless mtb pedals with lots of happy users in all sorts of climates. I've actually got a pair that you're welcome to try if you like, they're just sitting in a box at the moment.
    I guess I shouldn't have used the word unanimous. I know there are lots of flavors these things come in. One of the primary reasons for riding is due to a knee problem and I certainly don't want to make it worse. But it would be worth it to throw a case of beer your way to try those. The funny thing is that I haven't gotten the bike yet. Bike sport shop sold the last one in my size so I ordered the gloss yellow Rockhopper disc. It should be here Monday. I know it's not an upper end bike but I'm happy about it.

    Thanks again for the offer!! I may take you up on that after I get the bike!!

  4. #44
    MoJo Pope CSXer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    78210
    Posts
    568
    No beer required, hit me up with a PM when you've got the bike!
    flow daddy flow...

  5. #45
    Mojo Slow-poke Austin Bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Seat 21B - exit row aisle
    Posts
    17,036
    Quote Originally Posted by CSXer View Post
    It's far from unanimous, there's just a vocal group speaking up.
    Pedals are like tires, its a personal thing.
    "A person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all" - Paul Westerberg

    庄富瑞

    Click HERE for all your Austin Biking information


  6. #46
    MoJo Bishop direneed's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    South Austin
    Posts
    235
    Quote Originally Posted by Dklein View Post
    I guess I shouldn't have used the word unanimous. I know there are lots of flavors these things come in. One of the primary reasons for riding is due to a knee problem and I certainly don't want to make it worse. But it would be worth it to throw a case of beer your way to try those. The funny thing is that I haven't gotten the bike yet. Bike sport shop sold the last one in my size so I ordered the gloss yellow Rockhopper disc. It should be here Monday. I know it's not an upper end bike but I'm happy about it.

    Thanks again for the offer!! I may take you up on that after I get the bike!!
    Upper end bikes are overrated. I have a few (I'm a hyporite), but that's just what I like to spend my money on. My car is a piece, FWIW. At one point my bike stable was worth a bit more than my car and I couldn't have been more proud!

    That Rockhopper Disc will serve you well and is very good quality. My buddy who has a beat up old steel frame GT with a hodge-podge of used parts, rim brakes, and mismatched wheels, has just as much fun riding the trails as I do on a pricey blinglespeed, and that's what it's all about. Enjoy your new ride!

    jimmy

  7. #47
    MoJo Priest Dklein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Cedar Park, TX
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by direneed View Post
    Upper end bikes are overrated. I have a few (I'm a hyporite), but that's just what I like to spend my money on. My car is a piece, FWIW. At one point my bike stable was worth a bit more than my car and I couldn't have been more proud!

    That Rockhopper Disc will serve you well and is very good quality. My buddy who has a beat up old steel frame GT with a hodge-podge of used parts, rim brakes, and mismatched wheels, has just as much fun riding the trails as I do on a pricey blinglespeed, and that's what it's all about. Enjoy your new ride!

    jimmy
    Thanks Jimmy.... I was looking on Craig's List but I can't hunt forever and most are priced way high. I'd rather have a new bike anyways.

    I bought my 11 yo son the black one last weekend. He thinks it's awesome.

    Now the neophyte gets to figure out posting pics on this forum.


  8. #48
    MoJo Bishop direneed's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    South Austin
    Posts
    235
    I bit the bullet and got some ATAC XS pedals. They're definitely easier to engage than the SPDs I was using which was a major complaint. They also feel a lot more secure going over trail chatter and rock gardens. I opted for the 17 deg release. Not to my liking. I'm thinking after using sloppy and loose SPDs, I'll start out with the 13 deg until I get used to them for a while. Overall pretty pleased with them, though.

  9. #49
    Poppin Fresh Doughboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    In the cinco-dos
    Posts
    5,005
    Quote Originally Posted by direneed View Post
    I bit the bullet and got some ATAC XS pedals. ......
    I opted for the 17 deg release. Not to my liking. I'm thinking after using sloppy and loose SPDs, I'll start out with the 13 deg until I get used to them for a while. Overall pretty pleased with them, though.
    Weird! I was going to find this thread today and provide some feedback.

    I bought a pair of ATAC XS back in January and I really like them better than SPD. I noticed my knee pain has been minimized.

    As for the 13 vs 17 degree, I went with 17 degrees (less knee strain) with the spring rate cranked up to 3 to avoid premature evacuation.

  10. #50
    Mojo Slow-poke Austin Bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Seat 21B - exit row aisle
    Posts
    17,036
    People just need to listen to me more.

    Time are better for your knees and just overall great pedals.
    "A person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all" - Paul Westerberg

    庄富瑞

    Click HERE for all your Austin Biking information


  11. #51
    Poppin Fresh Doughboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    In the cinco-dos
    Posts
    5,005
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin Bike View Post
    People just need to listen to me more.

    Time are better for your knees and just overall great pedals.
    True, but you also eat pickled squid and chicken feet for breakfast. Shit like that kinda cuts into your credibility quotient.



    I do like pie tho.
    Last edited by Doughboy; 03-05-2009 at 07:56 AM.

  12. #52
    Mojo Slow-poke Austin Bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Seat 21B - exit row aisle
    Posts
    17,036
    This is the "snack section" of my desk

    "A person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all" - Paul Westerberg

    庄富瑞

    Click HERE for all your Austin Biking information


  13. #53
    Poppin Fresh Doughboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    In the cinco-dos
    Posts
    5,005
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin Bike View Post
    This is the "snack section" of my desk
    I'm sure the BiFi snack thing is tasty, but the picture on the package does not entice me to try it.

    Glad to see that "tussin" knows no borders.

  14. #54
    Mojo Chupacabra
    MoJo SuppoRteR
    nando's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    7,441
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin Bike View Post
    This is the "snack section" of my desk

    How do you even enter these things into the US is beyond me...

    Oh, yeah, as far as I'm concerned, the pedals question has been settled. Times.
    Holding steady at 1.41 times per day since 2002.
    Chronic Cycling has with cool cycling stuff.

  15. #55
    MoJo Mother Superior pmiranda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    629
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin Bike View Post
    This is the "snack section" of my desk
    Hey, tell your B300 buddies to stop parking in my P400 garage!
    Why do they do that, anyway?

  16. #56
    i do it all for the cookie Spicewookie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    in the barn
    Posts
    14,665
    once you go "BlackBlack"?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads

Search tags for this page (caching method: table)

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •