Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Making the most of my time, what do you think?

  1. #1
    Mojo College Bum KayWhy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    South Austin (SEU)
    Posts
    458

    Making the most of my time, what do you think?

    I'm relatively new to Austin

    Lately, i've been trying to check out some of the local area trails

    I've been making it out to the ARR Walnut Creek ride every sunday. The trails out there are a lot of fun, but without someone who knows their way around, i'll miss just about every fun feature the park has to offer.

    Tuesday, i made it to McKinney Falls park. The park is gorgeous, but the homestead trail is rather short. On the bright side, it's a predictable trail to hammer through and have some fun.

    Today, i made it over to Onion Creek Park. Damn if that isn't a neglected mess. Prickly pear and thorny bush encroaching all up on those trails. I went 12 miles and never saw a single other person. It felt like i may well have been in the middle of the country. It was definitely an adventure; the network out there is a HUGE MAZE! If it hadn't have been for a friend lending me his GPS, i woulda been bird-food for sure.


    I'm open for recommendations...
    I hear the Greenbelt is the SH!T, but i also hear you get lost like jack nicholson in a hedge maze without a home-grown Austinite leading the way.

    City Park-Emma Long and the St. Eds park seem like too far of a drive.

    Anyone make rides out to these trails?


    I'll see what the folks in voodoo have to say as well

  2. #2
    MoJo MoFo skoofer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    ATX
    Posts
    949
    the greenbelt is definitely where you need to ride...it has
    something for everyone, no matter what skill level. You're
    right, it can be a little confusing (i still get lost sometimes)
    but after a ride or two you should have enough of an idea
    to be able to venture out on your own.

    Keep checking here because people are always making ride
    calls. If you want to ride today a group of us are meeting at
    the 360 access around 10:30 last i heard anyway, start
    time may change though
    "The dude abides"

  3. #3
    Mojo College Bum KayWhy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    South Austin (SEU)
    Posts
    458
    Quote Originally Posted by skoofer View Post
    If you want to ride today a group of us are meeting at
    the 360 access around 10:30 last i heard anyway, start
    time may change though
    I appreciate the invite, but i would only be able to make it today if that ride time changes to about 12:ish

  4. #4
    Poppin Fresh Doughboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    In the cinco-dos
    Posts
    5,005
    The Austin Flyers do a no-drop BCGB ride on Sundays. The ride starts at BSS central and does and out and back of the main trail and Sweet 16.

    I didn't see a new schedule on the BSS website, but you can call 477-3472 and ask for Venessa. She will be all knowing.

  5. #5
    Mojo Buckeye -- Too Much Front Brake? Eokerholm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Austin (RR)
    Posts
    5,106
    check for threads from Austin Bike like this one.

    There is typically a Greenbelt tour every weekend.
    By far the best all around park in town.
    Greenbelt is a blast. Lots of options and miles to be ridden.

    Not sure of your skill level but City Park is not that far, but by far one of the most technical in town.

    RHR on Sunday would be another worthy destination for you. Carpooling is an option, post up.



    Welcome to Austin and Mojo!
    Go Big or Go Home!

  6. #6
    Speeder of the Single
    MoJo SuppoRteR
    Shinerider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Nowhere in particular
    Posts
    13,537
    Go to Austin bike's linked page. It is jam packed with biking info above and beyond the few mentioned.

    See you on Tues R&I
    R&I quotables:
    They taste different when you flip them over!
    Don't eat the ginger snaps, they've been down chucks pants!
    Just what I need - a robot sex doll telling me "is that all you got?"
    Sue sleeps next to me, and Toby sleeps on top of my wife!
    I like that YOU like Dick!
    "Hurry up and take the damn picture, I can't stay in this position all night!" quoted while holding the "FUDGE RINGS"
    I'm still trying to figure out my meat!
    Oh NO, I like COCK SAUSAGE!
    Who says you put it in your mouth!

  7. #7
    Mojo Buckeye -- Too Much Front Brake? Eokerholm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Austin (RR)
    Posts
    5,106

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by Shinerider View Post
    Go to Austin bike's linked page. It is jam packed with biking info above and beyond the few mentioned.

    See you on Tues R&I
    YAY!
    Spring Daylight Savings!!!
    Go Big or Go Home!

  8. #8
    Mojo College Bum KayWhy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    South Austin (SEU)
    Posts
    458
    DST's got me pumped
    I'm definitely gonna make it out to R&I

    i'll see if i can't track down a group going to BCGB at a good time

  9. #9
    Speeder of the Single
    MoJo SuppoRteR
    Shinerider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Nowhere in particular
    Posts
    13,537
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
    DST's got me pumped
    I'm definitely gonna make it out to R&I

    i'll see if i can't track down a group going to BCGB at a good time

    Ummmm

    Weekend Riding - 3/7, 3/8
    R&I quotables:
    They taste different when you flip them over!
    Don't eat the ginger snaps, they've been down chucks pants!
    Just what I need - a robot sex doll telling me "is that all you got?"
    Sue sleeps next to me, and Toby sleeps on top of my wife!
    I like that YOU like Dick!
    "Hurry up and take the damn picture, I can't stay in this position all night!" quoted while holding the "FUDGE RINGS"
    I'm still trying to figure out my meat!
    Oh NO, I like COCK SAUSAGE!
    Who says you put it in your mouth!

  10. #10
    MoJo Mother Superior lost27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    1,668
    Couple of tips for riding with John:

    1. If he has his camera out dismount and walk... you'll save yourself from an endo.
    2. Try some of his worldly trail snacks.
    3. If he asks where you want to go always say up. He LOVES climbing (especially the loose switchbacky kind of stuff)

  11. #11
    Mojo College Bum KayWhy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    South Austin (SEU)
    Posts
    458
    Quote Originally Posted by lost27 View Post
    Couple of tips for riding with John:

    1. If he has his camera out dismount and walk... you'll save yourself from an endo.
    2. Try some of his worldly trail snacks.
    3. If he asks where you want to go always say up. He LOVES climbing (especially the loose switchbacky kind of stuff)
    hmm???

  12. #12
    Mojo Slow-poke Austin Bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Seat 21B - exit row aisle
    Posts
    17,036
    OK, here's the game plan. Sunday of this week, you will ride out at RHR. It's a good opportunity to demo a yeti bike and meet the godfather of austin mountain biking, he's in town for the weekend only.

    Then for the next 2 weekends you are on your own, I'm in spain and won't be leading any rides.

    On the weekend of the 28th, I'll be back for a 20 mile greenbelt tour. It's always a social pace and there is an opportunity to drop along the way if you get too tired.

    There is an outside chance that I will be doing a greenbelt ride on the 22nd. I do get in on the 21st but it will be pretty late. if I ride on the 22nd I will be mainly focusing on a solo ride and sessioning some of the things that I routinely get hung up on, so if you join in on that, you may spend more time in places than you care to depending on your skill level. My tourguide skills far outpace my riding skills.

    Bill claims that my camera causes crashes, but there are few crash pictures on my site.

    Oh, and my rides generally require cold beer at the end. That makes it all worthwhile.
    "A person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all" - Paul Westerberg

    庄富瑞

    Click HERE for all your Austin Biking information


  13. #13
    Mojo College Bum KayWhy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    South Austin (SEU)
    Posts
    458
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin Bike View Post
    OK, here's the game plan. Sunday of this week, you will ride out at RHR. It's a good opportunity to demo a yeti bike and meet the godfather of austin mountain biking, he's in town for the weekend only.

    Then for the next 2 weekends you are on your own, I'm in spain and won't be leading any rides.

    On the weekend of the 28th, I'll be back for a 20 mile greenbelt tour. It's always a social pace and there is an opportunity to drop along the way if you get too tired.

    There is an outside chance that I will be doing a greenbelt ride on the 22nd. I do get in on the 21st but it will be pretty late. if I ride on the 22nd I will be mainly focusing on a solo ride and sessioning some of the things that I routinely get hung up on, so if you join in on that, you may spend more time in places than you care to depending on your skill level. My tourguide skills far outpace my riding skills.

    Bill claims that my camera causes crashes, but there are few crash pictures on my site.

    Oh, and my rides generally require cold beer at the end. That makes it all worthwhile.

    ok

    i'm sold

Remove Ads

Search tags for this page (caching method: table)

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •