Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Anyone have an Iron Horse MKiii ?

  1. #1
    Master Angler kidmartinek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Austin, Tx.
    Posts
    4

    Anyone have an Iron Horse MKiii ?

    I was considering buying a used mkiii but have only been able to ride it around the neighborhood in front of the seller's house and up and down the street curbs. I would like to know how it performs on the trail.

  2. #2
    MoJo Mother Superior olddbrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    1,720
    I had an '06 MKIII Expert and I really liked it. Some of the pivots would loosen up from time to time, but other than that I didn't have any issues with it. I ended up selling it because I wanted a lighter frame with less travel that was more appropriate for racing. If I could have kept the MKIII and the new bike, I would have done it in a heartbeat.
    When you are a man, sometimes you wear stretchy pants in your room. It's for fun.

  3. #3
    MoJo Mother Superior sherpaxc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    austin
    Posts
    4,569
    I think Lost27 rides one? Not really sure though. If it's the same I think he really likes his.

  4. #4
    MoJo Choirboy biggreentoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Choir
    Posts
    647
    Save yourself a ton of time and some money and buy a simple four bar linkage like this.

    http://www.voodoocycles.net/08_canzo29.htm

    My last full squish was an MKIII and it climbed ok (in the saddle) and climbed like utter crap out of the saddle. Its heavy even with good components. It is ok in the downhill, but is not impressive over rock gardens.

    I'll grant you that is is affordable for a decent entry level full squishy, but so is a Canzo in the 26" or 29" varieties (or just about any other mid level 4 bar).

    If you are looking at the DW link specifically, you may want to demo a high end Pivot or Turner, but make sure you're also demoing 4 bar link bikes (or a steel hardtail for that matter).

    Good luck!

  5. #5
    MoJo MoFo skoofer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    ATX
    Posts
    949
    I've got an '08 comp and absolutely love it!!! Contrary to what
    Biggreentoy says, I've had nothing but positive experiences on
    the trail. I will say that I'm fairly new to mtb though, and would
    not be able to make specific assessments as to how it performs
    in this condition versus that when compared to another bike.

    The DW-Link is amazing and does exactly what it is designed to
    do. Everything I've hit has been soaked up like butter...downhills,
    rock gardens, climbs, etc. have all gotten easier since I started
    riding my MKIII - I've even done some mild dirt jumping & it has
    handled that very well too.

    I got a great deal from randall scott, payed about 1/2 what the
    bike would usually sell for, which i will admit had a lot to do with
    my decision.

    Something to consider though is that Iron Horse has gone bye
    bye - last I heard they shut down and sold off all their inventory.


    btw - Lost rides an azure which does not have the dw-link
    "The dude abides"

  6. #6
    MoJo Mother Superior lost27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    1,668
    Quote Originally Posted by skoofer View Post
    btw - Lost rides an azure which does not have the dw-link

    Not true... its got the DW link which is why I bought it... it's just not the 5" travel version... it's more of a XC bike. That being said I love the bike even if it's smaller than what I'd probably like. I've ridden just about everything in the GB, city park, thumper, etc with it and have been more than happy. The thing to remember with the DW is that sag setup is really important. Once thats set up should be no problem climbing in or out of saddle.

    I think the MKIII is a good bike with the right components and should you ever want a higher end bike its a very familiar transition to the mach 5 from pivot.

  7. #7
    MoJo MoFo skoofer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    ATX
    Posts
    949
    whoops! i guess i'm not exactly sure what the dw-link is
    "The dude abides"

  8. #8
    Just along for the ride Wumpus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    the other 'CP'
    Posts
    8,674
    Quote Originally Posted by skoofer View Post
    whoops! i guess i'm not exactly sure what the dw-link is
    http://www.dw-link.com/flash/point4_bike.html
    "No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride."

  9. #9
    MoJo Pope CSXer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    78210
    Posts
    568
    While it is heavy, my MKiii is my favorite full squish ~ and I paid about 1/4 of what I paid for the other bikes for it. A properly set up MKiii is extremely capable and versatile, it's the bike I take when I travel.
    flow daddy flow...

  10. #10
    MoJo Neophyte rhg84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by skoofer View Post
    I've got an '08 comp and absolutely love it!!! Contrary to what
    Biggreentoy says, I've had nothing but positive experiences on
    the trail. I will say that I'm fairly new to mtb though, and would
    not be able to make specific assessments as to how it performs
    in this condition versus that when compared to another bike.

    The DW-Link is amazing and does exactly what it is designed to
    do. Everything I've hit has been soaked up like butter...downhills,
    rock gardens, climbs, etc. have all gotten easier since I started
    riding my MKIII - I've even done some mild dirt jumping & it has
    handled that very well too.

    I got a great deal from randall scott, payed about 1/2 what the
    bike would usually sell for, which i will admit had a lot to do with
    my decision.

    Something to consider though is that Iron Horse has gone bye
    bye - last I heard they shut down and sold off all their inventory.


    btw - Lost rides an azure which does not have the dw-link


    That great price is one of the reasons Iron Horse is now out of business. I've never rode one but I always heard good things from people

  11. #11
    MoJo MoFo skoofer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    ATX
    Posts
    949
    oh believe me i'm well aware...if i wasn't a broke ass
    college student i would have done the noble thing &
    bought from a shop...but that means i'd still be riding
    a lame ass entry level bike.
    "The dude abides"

  12. #12
    MoJo Neophyte rhg84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by skoofer View Post
    oh believe me i'm well aware...if i wasn't a broke ass
    college student i would have done the noble thing &
    bought from a shop...but that means i'd still be riding
    a lame ass entry level bike.

    Nah, Saving yourself some money is the smart move.

Remove Ads

Search tags for this page (caching method: table)

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •