Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 244
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: its a cryng shame what they did to Flar creek

  1. #21
    MoJoMoRon bartman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    oakhill
    Posts
    10,513
    Quote Originally Posted by Doughboy View Post
    Yep I'm proud of that "fiasco". You're welcome for those "better paces to ride" as well.

    Happy trolling!!
    you shouldn't be but from the looks of things you don't know jack shit about building sweet trails just ruining them. Stick to the DB school of hike and bike trailbuilding ...I hear they need a berm at so Co & ceasr chavez

  2. #22
    Poppin Fresh Doughboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    In the cinco-dos
    Posts
    5,010
    Quote Originally Posted by bartman View Post
    ...I hear they need a berm at so Co & ceasr chavez
    Thanks for the alert!!! I'll see if I can get on the crew and ruin that for ya.

    Smoochiees!!! Mmmwaahh!!

  3. #23
    MoJo Mother Superior bsdctx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Dripping Springs / Wimberley
    Posts
    1,778
    I kind of agree with you, Bartman. Some of the conditions out on the ranch are less than idea. I was mostly disturbed by the amount of dirt roads cut through the woods. A lot of it seemed unecessary. My understanding is it has to do with a number of different events over the years, but I'm pretty sure no new roads were cut for this mountain biking race.

    That said, I think you're a total Fnut ranting troll, Bartman. I really appreciate the time and money spent by everyone from Mellow Johnny's to the individual volunteers. Wookie and Tobin did a great job heading up the work out there. Flat Creek is a great place to ride and I appreciate ANY opportunity to ride new trail.

    For those who haven't been out there and are wondering. Flat Creek is great. It's every bit as good as the other great trails we have here in Central Texas. I STRONGLY recommend making it out there for the race and/or a pre-ride.

  4. #24
    TAF
    TAF is offline
    The guy with the tailgate grill TAF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Midtown Austin
    Posts
    3,879
    Quote Originally Posted by bartman View Post
    well IMHO, you ruined a sweet trail but hey you got paid now didn't you?
    I don't think - fortunately - that I've ever met you, but you are coming across as one helluva twat. It's sweet riding out there - you should be happy for what we have. A lot of people put a lot of work in, and I'm guessing you weren't one of them.

    Flame away, troll boy.

  5. #25
    dirty minded
    MoJo SuppoRteR
    dimitrin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    ATX
    Posts
    1,325
    Well you were obviously in shock from what you saw, vs. what you remembered. From what I hear dumbed down race courses are what people want these days.
    These are money making events, and to make the most money they need to appeal to the most people possible. Riders that grin ear to ear jamming on the sweet teckie gnar single track that so many of us enjoy are far less in number than the combination of dirt roadies and newbies that are fit enough to hammer on a set of mtb pedals. They can hammer on the pedals and feel like a hero. They may or may not be able to negotiate that trail down to the creek and up out the tunnel. I am pretty sure it is all about the numbers. And access for emergency services, insurance requirements, lawyer b.s., etc. I am sure play a significant role.
    The owners of that property are running a business with it. They are interested in meeting their needs, not ours. They hold various types of events and venues. They own it, it is theirs.
    That large number of dirt roadies and fit newbs buy mountain bikes and mtb paraphernalia. They generate business and general public interest for the industry, and that increased awareness of mountain biking benefits all of us through increased sales, innovation and competition. Yep, I'm pretty sure even techy gnar riders benefit from that.
    That being said, I can appreciate your distaste for the changes you noted, but it is a business that has requirements to be sustainable. It is someone elses property, and some other event holders gig.
    But it is possible in the end game we all benefit.
    And of course anyone caught sanitizing existing trail should be, at a minimum, photographed, documented and posted online as a douche bag.

    Your obvious passion is commendable. You should consider putting some of that energy in assisting with opening various BCP plots to future mtb trail projects. That is were our efforts need to be organized and focused.

  6. #26
    dirty minded
    MoJo SuppoRteR
    dimitrin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    ATX
    Posts
    1,325
    Oh, and the guy cutting that trail is one our strongest, sincere, trusted advocates with local land managers I can assure you. Of late, he is the guy doing the most good for us all. He is our friend in gaining access with land managers, they trust him.
    I feel ya man, and I trust him as too.
    Spicewookie likes this.

  7. #27
    dirty minded
    MoJo SuppoRteR
    dimitrin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    ATX
    Posts
    1,325
    Quote Originally Posted by dimitrin View Post
    and I trust him as too.
    and I trust him too.

    where is the edit button???

  8. #28
    Supporting Member
    MoJo SuppoRteR
    McLovin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Tomball (Houston), TX
    Posts
    79
    Quote Originally Posted by bartman View Post
    I've built plenty of trails and I would never get involved with a descretation like that. Who ever did that should have his card yanked.
    Quote Originally Posted by bartman View Post
    the trail isnt worth the trip out because there are way better places to ride after yalls hatchet job.
    Where are these places because we drove over 3 hrs to come to FCR and walked away all smiles and couldn't have been happier?! We've ridden all over Houston/Galveston, BCGB, RHR, BCR, and RPR. My two favorites have to to be Flat Creek and Reveille and I'm pretty sure those were built by the same folks. I'm really looking forward to hitting Pace Bend because I hear that those were also built by the same awesome trail builders.

    So where are these awesome trails that you built. If they're better than what these guys have some up with, I can only imagine that they're in heaven!

  9. #29
    MoJo Mother Superior GTFOOMW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    TexAss
    Posts
    1,320
    I don't give a shit about Flat Creek. I'm referring to places spodes have no business doing any trail work. But, drop in with confidence!, your cheater rocks may, or may not be there. A new, deep, hole may or may not be there to replace them.
    xx

  10. #30
    MoJo Subversive T. Damron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Allandale
    Posts
    377
    I had long ago figured I would never get a chance to ride there again so I cleared my schedule when I heard it would be open Saturday. For those who never saw that place "back in the day", the trail available Saturday was at best, 1/2 of what it used to be. Every time I thought we were about to head into some interesting decent or climb, we were instead routed onto some type of fire road. From what I heard, one of the last TMBRA races out there had someone get stabbed in the neck by a tree branch and almost died. That incident led to things getting dumbed down quite a bit. The average rider I saw out there on Saturday was having enough trouble navigating it as it was, so I figure it is probably all for the best.
    I have a pre 9/11 mindset

  11. #31
    MoJo Mother Superior Disco Stu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Ashlandia
    Posts
    3,352
    Quote Originally Posted by GTFOOMW View Post
    I don't give a shit about Flat Creek. I'm referring to places spodes have no business doing any trail work. But, drop in with confidence!, your cheater rocks may, or may not be there. A new, deep, hole may or may not be there to replace them.
    The cheater rocks are annoying---I toss them away every time a I see them. Some of them are so puzzling---just lift your damn wheel and ride it.

    What I don't get is why spend all the time and resources on Flat Creek when maybe you get to ride there once or twice a year. Spicewookie is getting paid so that's good for him. Why not Reimer's? Did they try and get turned down?

    Flat Creek is ok but is over-hyped--I think people talked it up so much since you never get to ride it. Flat Rock Ranch (comfort) is way better---now & then---and you can actually ride it when it's not deer season. And there you have an owner there that rides and supports mountain biking.

  12. #32
    MoJo Mother Superior coopers98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    1,073
    I didn't have the fortune to get to ride FCR 'back in the day' despite it being right around the corner from my house when I lived out that way. Regardless, I found the trail to be superb. Fast and flowy with some decent tech stuff tossed in as well. Sure, I'm happy with more technical stuff, but as a whole, the combination/mixture at FCR is excellent. If I want more tech, that option is available elsewhere, as is more flow.

    Just voicing my kudos for the work done on the trail and for the opportunity to ride another great trail in our area.

  13. #33
    blah Anita Handle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    fat antonio
    Posts
    13,252
    Quote Originally Posted by Disco Stu View Post
    The cheater rocks are annoying---I toss them away every time a I see them. Some of them are so puzzling---just lift your damn wheel and ride it.

    What I don't get is why spend all the time and resources on Flat Creek when maybe you get to ride there once or twice a year. Spicewookie is getting paid so that's good for him. Why not Reimer's? Did they try and get turned down?

    Flat Creek is ok but is over-hyped--I think people talked it up so much since you never get to ride it. Flat Rock Ranch (comfort) is way better---now & then---and you can actually ride it when it's not deer season. And there you have an owner there that rides and supports mountain biking.
    JIMMY DRIESS IS DA MAN! :-)

    Unfortunate to hear that Flat Creek is not what it once was. For those that never rode it before, you don't know what you are missing. the last ARR FC race was the last race I ever did and I did it on a SC Blur borrowed from none other than Anthony Sloan. Cherished memory.

  14. #34
    MoJoMoRon bartman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    oakhill
    Posts
    10,513
    Quote Originally Posted by bsdctx View Post
    I kind of agree with you, Bartman. Some of the conditions out on the ranch are less than idea. I was mostly disturbed by the amount of dirt roads cut through the woods. A lot of it seemed unecessary. My understanding is it has to do with a number of different events over the years, but I'm pretty sure no new roads were cut for this mountain biking race.

    That said, I think you're a total Fnut ranting troll, Bartman. I really appreciate the time and money spent by everyone from Mellow Johnny's to the individual volunteers. Wookie and Tobin did a great job heading up the work out there. Flat Creek is a great place to ride and I appreciate ANY opportunity to ride new trail.

    For those who haven't been out there and are wondering. Flat Creek is great. It's every bit as good as the other great trails we have here in Central Texas. I STRONGLY recommend making it out there for the race and/or a pre-ride.
    I'm not trolling just venting over the desecration and letting other people who loved it like it was to not waste their time. Doughboy brought his beat down on him self.

  15. #35
    MoJoMoRon bartman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    oakhill
    Posts
    10,513
    Quote Originally Posted by TAF View Post
    I don't think - fortunately - that I've ever met you, but you are coming across as one helluva twat. It's sweet riding out there - you should be happy for what we have. A lot of people put a lot of work in, and I'm guessing you weren't one of them.

    Flame away, troll boy.
    like I wrote, this is not about trolling because I gave up on this place along time ago, its about people fcking up sweet single track for money. If you can't handle that critisism w/o your labias swelling up then don't read it. Btw' I'm not a twat' I'm an ahole but an honest one.

  16. #36
    MoJoMoRon bartman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    oakhill
    Posts
    10,513
    Quote Originally Posted by dimitrin View Post
    Well you were obviously in shock from what you saw, vs. what you remembered. From what I hear dumbed down race courses are what people want these days.
    These are money making events, and to make the most money they need to appeal to the most people possible. Riders that grin ear to ear jamming on the sweet teckie gnar single track that so many of us enjoy are far less in number than the combination of dirt roadies and newbies that are fit enough to hammer on a set of mtb pedals. They can hammer on the pedals and feel like a hero. They may or may not be able to negotiate that trail down to the creek and up out the tunnel. I am pretty sure it is all about the numbers. And access for emergency services, insurance requirements, lawyer b.s., etc. I am sure play a significant role.
    The owners of that property are running a business with it. They are interested in meeting their needs, not ours. They hold various types of events and venues. They own it, it is theirs.
    That large number of dirt roadies and fit newbs buy mountain bikes and mtb paraphernalia. They generate business and general public interest for the industry, and that increased awareness of mountain biking benefits all of us through increased sales, innovation and competition. Yep, I'm pretty sure even techy gnar riders benefit from that.
    That being said, I can appreciate your distaste for the changes you noted, but it is a business that has requirements to be sustainable. It is someone elses property, and some other event holders gig.
    But it is possible in the end game we all benefit.
    And of course anyone caught sanitizing existing trail should be, at a minimum, photographed, documented and posted online as a douche bag.

    Your obvious passion is commendable. You should consider putting some of that energy in assisting with opening various BCP plots to future mtb trail projects. That is were our efforts need to be organized and focused.
    that is the point of my rant, this was done for money and for the roadies who think they are mountain bike racers. I'm sure some of them on Sunday will complain about how hard the course is . that being said, I wont waste my time going back and I wished someone would have told me before I went because I spent the whole ride saying..."stupid MFers...".
    I have spent many many hours and days maintaining and building singletrack, and I'm not about to get involved with the meat wagon pullers who fcked up flat creek.

  17. #37
    MoJoMoRon bartman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    oakhill
    Posts
    10,513
    Quote Originally Posted by McLovin View Post
    Where are these places because we drove over 3 hrs to come to FCR and walked away all smiles and couldn't have been happier?! We've ridden all over Houston/Galveston, BCGB, RHR, BCR, and RPR. My two favorites have to to be Flat Creek and Reveille and I'm pretty sure those were built by the same folks. I'm really looking forward to hitting Pace Bend because I hear that those were also built by the same awesome trail builders.

    So where are these awesome trails that you built. If they're better than what these guys have some up with, I can only imagine that they're in heaven!
    save your penis measuring contest for Sunday because I dont give a rats a$$ what you meat pullers think.

  18. #38
    MoJoMoRon bartman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    oakhill
    Posts
    10,513
    Quote Originally Posted by T. Damron View Post
    I had long ago figured I would never get a chance to ride there again so I cleared my schedule when I heard it would be open Saturday. For those who never saw that place "back in the day", the trail available Saturday was at best, 1/2 of what it used to be. Every time I thought we were about to head into some interesting decent or climb, we were instead routed onto some type of fire road. From what I heard, one of the last TMBRA races out there had someone get stabbed in the neck by a tree branch and almost died. That incident led to things getting dumbed down quite a bit. The average rider I saw out there on Saturday was having enough trouble navigating it as it was, so I figure it is probably all for the best.
    That was Dustin. The only thing good I can say about the meatwagonpullers is they at least trim cedars back to the bases, that didnt make that nooby mistake.

  19. #39
    MoJoMoRon bartman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    oakhill
    Posts
    10,513
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita Handle View Post
    JIMMY DRIESS IS DA MAN! :-)

    Unfortunate to hear that Flat Creek is not what it once was. For those that never rode it before, you don't know what you are missing. the last ARR FC race was the last race I ever did and I did it on a SC Blur borrowed from none other than Anthony Sloan. Cherished memory.
    dont waste your time, the noobs fcked it up.

  20. #40
    Poppin Fresh Doughboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    In the cinco-dos
    Posts
    5,010
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita Handle View Post
    JIMMY DRIESS IS DA MAN! :-)

    Unfortunate to hear that Flat Creek is not what it once was. For those that never rode it before, you don't know what you are missing. the last ARR FC race was the last race I ever did and I did it on a SC Blur borrowed from none other than Anthony Sloan. Cherished memory.
    You are correct on all accounts. Unfortunately parts of the course were changed by previous event promoters and other user groups, mainly Muddy Buddy. The golf cart switch backs up the Hill O Death and the other hike and bike paths were cut for that event and several movie shoots through the years. The landowner never intended on having another mountain bike race and did not consider saving those parts of the trail. The folks who came out and help get this thing going again worked there asses off trying to get as much cool stuff back as we could. The bottom line is we worked with what was left and what we were allowed to use.

    The bad thing is we're getting blamed for the place not being as cool as it was, when the fact is all we did was trim back the cedars and build a few berms. Fighting back 10+ years of Mother Nature is a bitch. With only 4 weeks to work out there we really couldn't have possibly made all those road cuts (and we wouln't have in the first place). The UCI pro section is using the old Muddy Buddy route and all that was done to that was draggin the cow shit off of it (which we'll get blamed for sanitizing).

    Believe me I miss the good old days just like everybody else. It's still worth going out there and enjoying the trail, but yeah it is not as cool as it once was.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Search tags for this page (caching method: table)

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •