Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: Simply a Warning.

  1. #1
    jns
    jns is offline
    MoJoJo jns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    27

    Simply a Warning.

    I know speaking about "back/illegal trails" is frowned upon here, but this is a safety concern and i'd feel in the wrong if I didn't mention it...

    Someone has been altering/booby-trapping parts of the trails located behind a large toy store and it seems to be aimed at MTB riders. Recommend walking anything before riding it at speed.
    Austin has had enough cyclists killed or seriously injured recently, don't want it to happen to anyone else. That's all.

  2. #2
    Welcome to Costco, I love you. ninjammin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    388
    I think that's plenty vague enough. Thanks for the heads up.

  3. #3
    MoJo Mother Superior pittzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    920
    Someone needs to be caught and zip-tied to a fire ant infested tree.

  4. #4
    i do it all for the cookie
    MoJo SuppoRteR
    Spicewookie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    in the barn
    Posts
    12,962
    Thanks for the warning.

  5. #5
    512
    512 is offline
    can I has MoJo? 512's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    BCGB
    Posts
    425
    What types of traps are being set in this undisclosed location. I'm sure I don't know anyone who never rides there regularly at all.
    ATX100k @ Facebook Twitter Web

  6. #6
    hold my beer and watch this! RMBL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    78611
    Posts
    7,725
    Quote Originally Posted by 512 View Post
    What types of traps are being set in this undisclosed location. I'm sure I don't know anyone who never rides there regularly at all.
    Branches broken to be at eye level. Logs/rocks/sharp branches in middle of trail around blind corners.


    Quote Originally Posted by Everyone
    Is Walnut Dry?

  7. #7
    Mojo Chupacabra
    MoJo SuppoRteR
    nando's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    7,324
    Quote Originally Posted by 9.81m/s^2=5m1L3Z View Post
    Branches broken to be at eye level. Logs/rocks/sharp branches in middle of trail around blind corners.
    Sounds like a lot of trails here…
    Having my way with words here 1.74 times per day since 2002

  8. #8
    hold my beer and watch this! RMBL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    78611
    Posts
    7,725
    Quote Originally Posted by nando View Post
    Sounds like a lot of trails here…
    Jns knows that trail and said it was obviously intentional


    Quote Originally Posted by Everyone
    Is Walnut Dry?

  9. #9
    MoJo Friar CRemington1982's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    123
    I experienced this first hand on a completely "legal" trail today. Between Spyglass and 360 on the Greenbelt main trail. Right after elephants butt/the chain creek crossing. There is a low branch and immediately following there is a HUGE branch that has been broken/sharpened at helmet level. It caught a vent on my helmet and nearly pulled me off the bike. Had I not been wearing a helmet it would have caused a severe head injury. I called 311 to report the branch and PARD should be out in the next few days to cut it down. Watch out!!
    www.ozonebikes.com

  10. #10
    MoJo Friar addATX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    131
    New to town. How is it that these side trails are "illegal"? Seriously? Sorry if I'm not supposed to ask that. I just don't understand. I've been riding the Greenbelt and have been having a blast exploring all these side trails. But, "illegal"...? I don't get it.

  11. #11
    The guy with the tailgate grill
    MoJo SuppoRteR
    TAF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Midtown Austin
    Posts
    3,039
    Quote Originally Posted by addATX View Post
    New to town. How is it that these side trails are "illegal"? Seriously? Sorry if I'm not supposed to ask that. I just don't understand. I've been riding the Greenbelt and have been having a blast exploring all these side trails. But, "illegal"...? I don't get it.
    Technically, they are 'bandit' trails in an area which is under the purvue of the Balcones Canyonland Conservation Plan (BCCP). These folks like to build big tall fences around areas that people like to have fun in. Thus, we don't discuss these places in public.

  12. #12
    MoJo Mother Superior martita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    near 620/2222
    Posts
    2,813
    Thanks for the warning.

    marti
    Zoe

  13. #13
    MoJo Friar SLOW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    112
    I had a similar problem at walnut a few years ago. Someone had run about 6 passes of kite string at knock level across the trail.
    It really drives me nuts when people pull crap like this.

  14. #14
    MoJo Mother Superior lost27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    1,660
    Last Thursday on the green belt somebody was dragging some large branches and other stuff across a few of the trails. This was between 6-8pm.
    Ask me what TGR can do for you.

  15. #15
    gnarGNARgnarGNARgnar greenblur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    BCGB
    Posts
    148
    A large chunk of the hill at the top / southeast corner has is a huge temporary fence blocking access. Almost everything on the other side of the fence has been leveled except for a few trees. All the fun stuff is still there but it was sad to see.

  16. #16
    Ride More!! shredhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    lurking... should be riding
    Posts
    1,421
    Quote Originally Posted by greenblur View Post
    A large chunk of the hill at the top / southeast corner has is a huge temporary fence blocking access. Almost everything on the other side of the fence has been leveled except for a few trees. All the fun stuff is still there but it was sad to see.
    I believe this may be remediation work on some old/illegal?/improperly done landfill activity. Clearly whatever is in there quickly leaches straight into the creek.

  17. #17
    Ride More!! shredhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    lurking... should be riding
    Posts
    1,421
    Quote Originally Posted by shredhead View Post
    I believe this may be remediation work on some old/illegal?/improperly done landfill activity. Clearly whatever is in there quickly leaches straight into the creek.
    Let's hope the damage is minimal.

  18. #18
    Auger Boy Mr Bacon Jr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Central Austin
    Posts
    982
    Big tree drug across the main trail almost to Lost Creek last Thursday. Right around a blind corner. I pulled it off the trail. Be careful out there.
    2012 Yeti SB-95a Black


  19. #19
    MoJo Mother Superior lost27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    1,660
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bacon Jr View Post
    Big tree drug across the main trail almost to Lost Creek last Thursday. Right around a blind corner. I pulled it off the trail. Be careful out there.
    What time Thursday? Last time I saw something similar it was a Thursday and not to long ago either.
    Ask me what TGR can do for you.

  20. #20
    Auger Boy Mr Bacon Jr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Central Austin
    Posts
    982
    Quote Originally Posted by lost27 View Post
    What time Thursday? Last time I saw something similar it was a Thursday and not to long ago either.
    About 6pm. Was an entire tree that had been down for a while someone had pulled across the trail.
    2012 Yeti SB-95a Black


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Search tags for this page (caching method: table)

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •