Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Cooling Vests

  1. #1
    MoJo Priest syadasti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    62

    Cooling Vests

    I had looked in to one of these while it was real hot one season (I forget if I was in Gainesville or the Northeast). Anyone use one before:

    http://www.coolvest.com

    Good accessory to protect the vest in a crash:

    http://store.coolvest.com/p-25-cooli...lstop-set.aspx

    On my search I ran across this forum which reviews them etc for people with MS who need the vest more than an average person (I once rode with a guy that had MS):

    http://activemsers.wssnoc.net/forumdisplay.php?f=5

    Cooling vest roundup:

    http://www.activemsers.org/gear/testcoolingvests.html

  2. #2
    MoJo Mother Superior pittzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    920
    That might be worth the weight penalty. I wonder how well they move?

  3. #3
    i do it all for the cookie
    MoJo SuppoRteR
    Spicewookie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    in the barn
    Posts
    12,860
    Pro racers wear them....MOTO and mtb. I bet they'd work for a non pro like me.

  4. #4
    MoJo Bishop Mellow Ronnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Atx
    Posts
    297
    Quote Originally Posted by Spicewookie View Post
    Pro racers wear them....MOTO and mtb. I bet they'd work for a non pro like me.
    Lots of them in play by pro mtb guys at past Mellow Classic editions, particularly by Max Plaxton, JHK etc.

    Have been lucky enough to loaned out from shop to work at Tour of California as well and Levi, Horner, and the higher placed GC guys all use them in TT warm up. Granted their systems are more advanced, and the vests are hooked up to machines that circulate water over them. Just the fact that they have started using them and they're getting more common is certainly a good sign.

  5. #5
    MoJo Mother Superior martita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    near 620/2222
    Posts
    2,813
    I still have the one I got from 661 before they stopped making them. My favorite is a quilted red collar like a cape that works well if heat is dry and the hot is not too much humidity. You just soak it in ice water for a couple of hours. Wish I had more of them for hot evenings on the bike.

    marti
    Zoe

  6. #6
    MoJo Priest syadasti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    62
    There are still companies making the evaporative ones but phase change seems to be more versatile and works regardless of the humidity. They supposedly last 3-5 hours depending on the conditions and you can flip the inserts for a bit extra time.

    The pro ones mentioned are probably the active battery powered ones which cost too much to be practical for most uses.

  7. #7
    MoJo Bishop Mellow Ronnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Atx
    Posts
    297
    Quote Originally Posted by syadasti View Post
    There are still companies making the evaporative ones but phase change seems to be more versatile and works regardless of the humidity. They supposedly last 3-5 hours depending on the conditions and you can flip the inserts for a bit extra time.

    The pro ones mentioned are probably the active battery powered ones which cost too much to be practical for most uses.
    The tt warm up ones can't be worn on bike at all but cool technology..

    http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/us-.../photos/123854

    http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/...ohnnys-classic

    http://www.teamradioshack.us/video-t...on-game-ready/

  8. #8
    Welcome to Costco, I love you. ninjammin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    383
    Quote Originally Posted by martita View Post
    I still have the one I got from 661 before they stopped making them. My favorite is a quilted red collar like a cape that works well if heat is dry and the hot is not too much humidity. You just soak it in ice water for a couple of hours. Wish I had more of them for hot evenings on the bike.

    marti
    Sounds similar to what we have. FYI, they sell them at REI. They're great for festivals.

  9. #9
    J
    J is offline
    Hans Rey superfan J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Badger Den
    Posts
    6,296
    I would be interested to find a light weight / low profile one, maybe just for the neck, I dunno. The ones I've seen above are a full vest. Anyone know of anything else?

    Also, I'm curious to know if anyone here uses the UV sleeves that supposedly feel cooler than bare skin when wet. Anyone know about them or use them?

  10. #10
    MoJo Mother Superior martita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    near 620/2222
    Posts
    2,813
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjammin View Post
    Sounds similar to what we have. FYI, they sell them at REI. They're great for festivals.
    I will check there. Thanks for telling me.

    marti
    Zoe

  11. #11
    MoJo Priest syadasti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by J View Post
    I would be interested to find a light weight / low profile one, maybe just for the neck, I dunno. The ones I've seen above are a full vest. Anyone know of anything else?
    They have neck and head ones:

    http://www.techniche-intl.com/en/cat...ing/index.html

  12. #12
    MoJo Mother Superior martita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    near 620/2222
    Posts
    2,813
    Thinking about it, those are neck coolers at REI. What I have is a core cooler and I wear it like a short cape around my shoulders. Really helps.
    Zoe

  13. #13
    Mojo Hot Momma sugarNspice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    4,150
    I found the vest to be bulky and cumbersome when riding. You can get the little neck tie things at festivals and some farmer's markets that is less busy and costs less.
    I don't have cojones, I have breasticles.
    If it has tires or testicles it's gonna give you trouble. Good thing I like trouble!
    It's not what you owe - it's what your vagina owes!

Search tags for this page (caching method: table)

cooling vests for priests

,

rei cooling vest

Click on a term to search our site for related topics.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •