Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 88

Thread: 100km of Walnut Creek, 12/9/2012, 8:30am

  1. #1
    MoJo Mother Superior Desert Nomad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    742

    100km of Walnut Creek, 12/9/2012, 8:30am

    This is an endurance/distance ride. No official time kept...just finish.

    Check the Meetup.com site for more info.

    http://www.meetup.com/mountainbikes-...ents/89440362/

    You do not have to be a member of anything to participate just follow the route and keep track of your laps.

    Hope to see some of you guys and gals there!

    ~TG aka DM

  2. #2
    Supporting Member
    MoJo SuppoRteR
    AtariAge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    3,917
    Very interesting. Six laps at Walnut Creek. On a Sunday, though, which I'm not too sure about given how busy the park normally is during the weekends.

    ..Al

  3. #3
    MoJo Mother Superior Desert Nomad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    742

    100km of Walnut Creek, 12/9/2012, 8:30am

    Atari, i considered other options, but It's just as busy on Saturdays these days unfortunately and a 6-10 hour weekday ride is not realistic for most people. It won't be any busier than the normal 30-40 rider turnout for the ARR Sunday rides, just longer ;-)

  4. #4
    Supporting Member
    MoJo SuppoRteR
    AtariAge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    3,917
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Nomad View Post
    Atari, i considered other options, but It's just as busy on Saturdays these days unfortunately and a 6-10 hour weekday ride is not realistic for most people. It won't be any busier than the normal 30-40 rider turnout for the ARR Sunday rides, just longer ;-)
    Sorry, didn't mean to suggest there was a better option. It's probably one of Austin's busiest parks on the weekend, so there's really no way to avoid traffic on the trails. That's what the bell on my bike is for.

    ..Al

  5. #5
    MoJo Mother Superior Tree magnet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    1,091
    This sounds fun in a twisted painful way.

    In.

  6. #6
    MoJo Mother Superior Desert Nomad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    742

    100km of Walnut Creek, 12/9/2012, 8:30am

    Quote Originally Posted by Tree magnet View Post
    This sounds fun in a twisted painful way.

    In.
    I rode it as a test run last week and it was great till about mile 54 then the pain really set in. See you there.

  7. #7
    MoJo Mother Superior Desert Nomad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    742

    100km of Walnut Creek, 12/9/2012, 8:30am

    Quote Originally Posted by AtariAge View Post
    Sorry, didn't mean to suggest there was a better option. It's probably one of Austin's busiest parks on the weekend, so there's really no way to avoid traffic on the trails. That's what the bell on my bike is for.

    ..Al
    No worries, Al. 100km of City Park is coming next Fall to make up for the dogs at WC this go around

  8. #8
    Supporting Member
    MoJo SuppoRteR
    AtariAge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    3,917
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Nomad View Post
    No worries, Al. 100km of City Park is coming next Fall to make up for the dogs at WC this go around
    Holy crap, I think that would take me two days.

    ..Al

  9. #9
    MoJo Mother Superior Tree magnet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    1,091
    Official name suggestion: The Nut Up 100

  10. #10
    MoJo Mother Superior Desert Nomad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    742

    100km of Walnut Creek, 12/9/2012, 8:30am

    Beats what my wife said I should call it which I cannot really say on these boards.

  11. #11
    TAF
    TAF is offline
    The guy with the tailgate grill TAF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Midtown Austin
    Posts
    4,045

    100km of Walnut Creek, 12/9/2012, 8:30am

    I'm actually pretty interested in what your wife calls it. Let's see if it matches what my wife calls it.

  12. #12
    MoJo Mother Superior Desert Nomad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    742

    100km of Walnut Creek, 12/9/2012, 8:30am

    Quote Originally Posted by TAF View Post
    I'm actually pretty interested in what your wife calls it. Let's see if it matches what my wife calls it.
    The Blue Nut 100...

  13. #13
    MoJo Mother Superior Desert Nomad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    742

    100km of Walnut Creek, 12/9/2012, 8:30am

    Which I explained would not work as

    1) there are several gals signed up for the ride already

    2) and thanks to a doc raiding half of armstrongs trove of family jewels, seat ergonomics has improved.

  14. #14
    MoJo Mother Superior Desert Nomad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    742

    100km of Walnut Creek, 12/9/2012, 8:30am

    Graham is helping put together some jerseys for the folks that finish all six 100km challenges, so there is an incentive to give it a go. There will probably be a fee for a jersey but we hope to snare some sponsors to defray costs.

    The venues right now are walnut, Barton creek, pace bend, city park, and two trails to be determined. They will progress in order of difficulty/pain factor.

    This is a fledgling grass roots effort at this point, but looks like there is some buzz and interest and can perhaps be a yearly deal.

    Hope you can give it a go!

  15. #15
    Supporting Member
    MoJo SuppoRteR
    AtariAge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    3,917
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Nomad View Post
    The venues right now are walnut, Barton creek, pace bend, city park, and two trails to be determined. They will progress in order of difficulty/pain factor.
    I assume Thumper will be last.

    ..Al

  16. #16
    MoJo Mother Superior Desert Nomad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    742

    100km of Walnut Creek, 12/9/2012, 8:30am

    Quote Originally Posted by AtariAge View Post
    I assume Thumper will be last.

    ..Al
    Hah... Well 17-18 laps of Thumper is not going to happen. It will be 10 laps of Emma. That is macabre enough.

  17. #17
    Supporting Member
    MoJo SuppoRteR
    AtariAge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    3,917
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Nomad View Post
    Hah... Well 17-18 laps of Thumper is not going to happen. It will be 10 laps of Emma. That is macabre enough.
    Yeah, I was nervously joking about that!!

    ..Al

  18. #18
    MoJo Mother Superior Desert Nomad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    742

    100km of Walnut Creek, 12/9/2012, 8:30am

    Quote Originally Posted by AtariAge View Post
    Yeah, I was nervously joking about that!!

    ..Al
    Yeah, Thumper was considered for about 1.3 seconds. Maybe for a future season.

    Reveille has a vote on the meetup listing comments as a possible, Reimers is another good one as each loop ends back at the parking area. Muleshoe with all the extra credit loops likewise. All are within an hour or so of Austin.

    A decision will be made soon for the February venue, a date set, and a route chosen. It will be a logical step up from Walnut in terms of difficulty.

    17 riders coming so far, who else will ride with them?

    ~DM

  19. #19
    Supporting Member
    MoJo SuppoRteR
    AtariAge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    3,917
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Nomad View Post
    Reveille has a vote on the meetup listing comments as a possible, Reimers is another good one as each loop ends back at the parking area. Muleshoe with all the extra credit loops likewise. All are within an hour or so of Austin.
    All good choices--both Muleshoe and Reimers loop back at the parking lot, and even RPR is close enough in that regard. Muleshoe is easiest in terms of difficulty. RPR and Reimers are both fairly long (if you include the upper loop at RPR, as well as the other extra credit loop). I've done several laps at Muleshoe in one sitting, but never more than one lap of Reimers or RPR.

    17 riders coming so far, who else will ride with them?
    I'm considering it.

    ..Al

  20. #20
    MoJo Priest knifezilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    65
    I should be in, sounds like a good time.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Remove Ads

Search tags for this page (caching method: table)

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •