Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 339
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Southern Walnut Creek Hike and Bike progress pics and vid

  1. #81
    MoJo Priest WatersPark1x9er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    69
    Quote Originally Posted by June Bug View Post
    Also, the "trail" on Scribe will just be a wide sidewalk that is ADA compliant. Am I understanding this correctly?
    That is my understanding. The City has indicated that they will construct a 10' trail between Amherst and the point where the Scribe sidewalk connects. This section will be redesigned to avoid the tall retaining wall featured in the original plan and (hopefully) be better integrated into the park (less disruption of existing single track trails). Unfortunately, this means more delay in finishing the project.

  2. #82
    Mojo Crimefighter SPINNINCIN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    AUSTIN, TX
    Posts
    1,320
    Name:  WC Constr Map 001.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  1.29 MB

    Here is a copy of the map. We have requested they not block off the log loops until work begins in that area. They may not be able to honor that request since there will be heavy machinery in the area installing bridges, but it's worth asking.

  3. #83
    Mojo Crimefighter SPINNINCIN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    AUSTIN, TX
    Posts
    1,320
    Name:  WC Construction 001.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  1.02 MBHere is another map, the orange lines showing where there trucks and machinery will be moving in and out of the park. The three circles on the map show where three bridges will be installed. The cement path will enter the park in the northwest corner near Lincolnshire and generally follow the straight section of the Log Loop, cross the three bridges and come out near the gravel/pool parking lot. From there, the path will generally follow the service road down to marker 228, cross the creek and go under the bridge at Lamar. Progress is slow and a little inconvenient for us, but someday will be a pretty cool commuter option.

  4. #84
    Supporting Member
    MoJo SuppoRteR
    AtariAge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    3,785
    Thanks for the images. I better get out there and ride Walnut Creek before these trails are blocked off. I haven't been out there since we had all that heavy rain. And of course it's going to rain this weekend.

    ..Al

  5. #85
    Mojo Crimefighter SPINNINCIN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    AUSTIN, TX
    Posts
    1,320
    [QUOTE=WatersPark1x9er;1116496] The map (which I tried to attach as a jpg) shows that log loops, part of Tar Branch and some other sections will be closed. I guess those of us that get to Walnut from Balcones Park will have to find an alternate route. QUOTE]

    Coming from Balcones, can you get into WC from Tanglewilde?

  6. #86
    MoJo Priest WatersPark1x9er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    69
    [QUOTE=SPINNINCIN;1116513]
    Quote Originally Posted by WatersPark1x9er View Post
    The map (which I tried to attach as a jpg) shows that log loops, part of Tar Branch and some other sections will be closed. I guess those of us that get to Walnut from Balcones Park will have to find an alternate route. QUOTE]

    Coming from Balcones, can you get into WC from Tanglewilde?
    Good reminder! Hopefully its still open. I went that way a few times before I found the way along south side of the creek between Metric and Lincolnshire but it's been years. Thought I was going to have to go back to taking Gracy Farms to Shady Springs. Hate to ride that much on the street!

  7. #87
    OnPermanent Vacation jmhix's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Currently in Fort Collins
    Posts
    1,756
    Quote Originally Posted by AtariAge View Post
    Thanks for the images. I better get out there and ride Walnut Creek before these trails are blocked off. I haven't been out there since we had all that heavy rain. And of course it's going to rain this weekend.

    ..Al
    Why waste your time, go ride somewhere better & with less dog poop

  8. #88
    MoJo Mother Superior Chardog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    1953 Parade Home
    Posts
    7,955
    Quote Originally Posted by SPINNINCIN View Post
    The cement path will enter the park in the northwest corner near Lincolnshire and generally follow the straight section of the Log Loop, cross the three bridges and come out near the gravel/pool parking lot.
    Nit Picky Engineer mode on:

    Concrete NOT cement.

    Cement is but one ingredient in concrete. Calling it a cement path is like saying you are making a sandwich with two slices of gluten.
    "Bicycling is a big part of the future. It has to be. There is something wrong with a society that drives a car to work out in a gym."
    - Bill Nye, the science guy


    Thanks REI for supporting Austin Ridge Riders Programs: http://www.austinridgeriders.com/
    IMBA visits blogs & photos: http://onthetrail.imbatools.com/?p=638
    http://onthetrail.imbatools.com/?p=602

  9. #89
    OnPermanent Vacation jmhix's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Currently in Fort Collins
    Posts
    1,756
    Quote Originally Posted by Chardog View Post
    Nit Picky Engineer mode on:

    Concrete NOT cement.

    Cement is but one ingredient in concrete. Calling it a cement path is like saying you are making a sandwich with two slices of gluten.
    Then why are they called cement mixers?

  10. #90
    OnPermanent Vacation jmhix's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Currently in Fort Collins
    Posts
    1,756
    And why are all of these "Northern Walnut Creek" posts in the Southern thread?

  11. #91
    MoJo Mother Superior Chardog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    1953 Parade Home
    Posts
    7,955
    Quote Originally Posted by jmhix View Post
    Then why are they called cement mixers?
    Common but not correct: A concrete mixer (also commonly called a cement mixer) is a device that homogeneously combines cement, aggregate such as sand or gravel, and water to form concrete.

    Concrete mixer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    "Bicycling is a big part of the future. It has to be. There is something wrong with a society that drives a car to work out in a gym."
    - Bill Nye, the science guy


    Thanks REI for supporting Austin Ridge Riders Programs: http://www.austinridgeriders.com/
    IMBA visits blogs & photos: http://onthetrail.imbatools.com/?p=638
    http://onthetrail.imbatools.com/?p=602

  12. #92
    MoJo Mother Superior Chardog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    1953 Parade Home
    Posts
    7,955
    Quote Originally Posted by jmhix View Post
    And why are all of these "Northern Walnut Creek" posts in the Southern thread?
    Yeah! Please observe strict Mojo protocol of staying strictly on topic.
    "Bicycling is a big part of the future. It has to be. There is something wrong with a society that drives a car to work out in a gym."
    - Bill Nye, the science guy


    Thanks REI for supporting Austin Ridge Riders Programs: http://www.austinridgeriders.com/
    IMBA visits blogs & photos: http://onthetrail.imbatools.com/?p=638
    http://onthetrail.imbatools.com/?p=602

  13. #93
    sketchiness abounds... stratosrally's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    588
    Quote Originally Posted by jmhix View Post
    Why waste your time, go ride somewhere better & with less dog poop

    Many of us ride WC because it's in our neighborhood.

    I dislike driving to trailheads and slaloming through dogpoop adds excitement...

  14. #94
    MoJo Mother Superior Chardog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    1953 Parade Home
    Posts
    7,955

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by stratosrally View Post
    Many of us ride WC because it's in our neighborhood.

    I dislike driving to trailheads and slaloming through dogpoop adds excitement...
    Ride to the Ride Rocks!

    "Walking my son to school each morning has become a poop-slalom down Dublinís Carysfort Avenue." Cormac Lucey: Dog Poop, Local Litter & Marie Baker
    "Bicycling is a big part of the future. It has to be. There is something wrong with a society that drives a car to work out in a gym."
    - Bill Nye, the science guy


    Thanks REI for supporting Austin Ridge Riders Programs: http://www.austinridgeriders.com/
    IMBA visits blogs & photos: http://onthetrail.imbatools.com/?p=638
    http://onthetrail.imbatools.com/?p=602

  15. #95
    MoJo Mother Superior fontarin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    1,354
    Quote Originally Posted by stratosrally View Post
    Many of us ride WC because it's in our neighborhood.

    I dislike driving to trailheads and slaloming through dogpoop adds excitement...
    Yep, 4ish miles from work, so I can ride to work, ride there, then ride home. That's why I ride it fairly often.

  16. #96
    MoJo Pope sooner518's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    580
    well this sucks. blocking off the 2 trailheads closest to my house and the Log Loops.

    Anyone wanna take bets on whether or not they actually finish by 9/1/2014?

    thanks for the info.

  17. #97
    MoJo Friar Big Pig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    148
    Some things to think about and make sure we are all mindful of:

    1. Making sure that when a trail closure is put inplace we abide by it. While we have a great relationship with the City we don't want to give them a reason to question it;

    2. Communicate the plan to as many people as possible. Let them know the closures will be temporary, but at LEAST through September;

    3. If they want to be involved in either discussions with the City or with trail stewardship activities at Walnut Creek, please attend any work day or ride meet ups at Walnut.

    Thanks,

    Rich
    Walnut Creek Trail Steward
    ARR Board of Directors Trails Coordinator
    Welcome to Austin Ridge Riders | Austin Ridge Riders

  18. #98
    MoJo Bishop YooperTX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    SW Austin: Oak Hill
    Posts
    254
    Nice, the inefficient city is going to close half of Walnut for most of next year to build trail. If they decided to put a toll booth on the trail the work would be done and the trail open before the end of January.
    ........_o
    ......_\ \>,
    ....(_)/(_)

  19. #99
    MoJo Priest WatersPark1x9er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    69
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Pig View Post
    Some things to think about and make sure we are all mindful of:

    1. Making sure that when a trail closure is put inplace we abide by it. While we have a great relationship with the City we don't want to give them a reason to question it;

    2. Communicate the plan to as many people as possible. Let them know the closures will be temporary, but at LEAST through September;

    3. If they want to be involved in either discussions with the City or with trail stewardship activities at Walnut Creek, please attend any work day or ride meet ups at Walnut.

    Thanks,

    Rich
    Walnut Creek Trail Steward
    ARR Board of Directors Trails Coordinator
    Welcome to Austin Ridge Riders | Austin Ridge Riders
    I agree with what you are saying, but my frustration level with this project has been very high due to the mismanagement of this project and lack of communication with the neighborhoods and trail users. Communication is a 2-way street and we've had to elevate inquiries to upper management and even council to get answers. One of the reasons I'm posting here is to try to get the word out to folks that use the trail. I pointed out over a year ago that their permit was expired and they said "no big deal, we'll deal with that". Guess what, the reason they aren't working on the sections outside the park is because they needed a new permit and the permit reviewers are taking a harder look at the floodplain impacts, among other things. If you want some fun reading, check the update report in https://www.austintexas.gov/devrevie...er_permits.jsp for new site plan case #SPC-2013-0202D, (the old site plan/permit # was SPC-2007-0364C). Meanwhile the inspectors blithely enter "compliant" despite obvious violations of City environmental protection rules (ongoing erosion, tree damage).

  20. #100
    MoJo Priest WatersPark1x9er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    69
    PS -sorry for the rant. I'm just tired of seeing the construction mess with no end in sight.
    I do ride elsewhere (recently a lot more due to the construction and flood damage to WC) but living nearby makes Balcones and Walnut my best option for a quick ride or for when I don't want to load up and drive.

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Search tags for this page (caching method: table)

south walnut creek trail
,
south walnut creek trail austin
,

southern walnut creek hike & bike trail

,
southern walnut creek hike and bike
,

southern walnut creek hike and bike trail

,
southern walnut creek trail
,
southern walnut creek trail austin map
,
walnut creek austin
,
walnut creek hike and bike austin
,
walnut creek road bike trail
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •