Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 339
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Southern Walnut Creek Hike and Bike progress pics and vid

  1. #101
    Mojo Riposte June Bug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Centex
    Posts
    6,768
    Quote Originally Posted by WatersPark1x9er View Post
    PS -sorry for the rant. I'm just tired of seeing the construction mess with no end in sight.
    I do ride elsewhere (recently a lot more due to the construction and flood damage to WC) but living nearby makes Balcones and Walnut my best option for a quick ride or for when I don't want to load up and drive.
    This entire, um, project has been so poorly managed. The first attempt at construction ended with the city and the contractor threatening to sue each other.
    The second time around, the city's contracts people (or perhaps Parks & Rec contracts people) are managing and it STILL has problems. So discouraging. One would think after successfully getting a large chunk of the southern end done, they would have worked out the kinks and been able to pre-empt problems on the northern section. A big chunk of matching federal funding is riding on this; it has to be completed. Is your impression that it is simple incompetence, understaffing, low priority, all of these, what?

    Anyway, I just rode from Braker/Swearingen over to the city library on Amherst. When the multi-use path is complete, most of this journey will take place on the multi-use path. On a late Saturday afternoon there is very little traffic and it was a pleasant ride, but still......I looking forward to the completion of the pathway.

  2. #102
    Mojo Riposte June Bug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Centex
    Posts
    6,768
    Well, thanks for the link to the most current document. There are 17 people listed as the various reviewers, and the majority of the reviewers rejected various aspects of the plan in early and late October; current status is awaiting update.
    This is what we should all be concerned about:
    Application Expiration Date: June 01, 2014
    However, the gross site area is only a little under two acres. Is this just for the "trail" on Scribe?
    Fingers crossed that this will be completed in under 9 months.

  3. #103
    MoJo Mother Superior Chardog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    1953 Parade Home
    Posts
    7,955
    One annoying thing that I just experienced twice here in SA. "Sidewalk Closed" signs on the sidewalk and on the multi-use path in Brakenridge Park (and anywhere else). WITH NO DETOUR. This happens all the time. Imagine closing a road and not only not providing a detour, but there being no alternate route whatsoever.
    "Bicycling is a big part of the future. It has to be. There is something wrong with a society that drives a car to work out in a gym."
    - Bill Nye, the science guy


    Thanks REI for supporting Austin Ridge Riders Programs: http://www.austinridgeriders.com/
    IMBA visits blogs & photos: http://onthetrail.imbatools.com/?p=638
    http://onthetrail.imbatools.com/?p=602

  4. #104
    MoJo Priest WatersPark1x9er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by June Bug View Post
    This entire, um, project has been so poorly managed. The first attempt at construction ended with the city and the contractor threatening to sue each other.
    The second time around, the city's contracts people (or perhaps Parks & Rec contracts people) are managing and it STILL has problems. So discouraging. One would think after successfully getting a large chunk of the southern end done, they would have worked out the kinks and been able to pre-empt problems on the northern section. A big chunk of matching federal funding is riding on this; it has to be completed. Is your impression that it is simple incompetence, understaffing, low priority, all of these, what?

    Anyway, I just rode from Braker/Swearingen over to the city library on Amherst. When the multi-use path is complete, most of this journey will take place on the multi-use path. On a late Saturday afternoon there is very little traffic and it was a pleasant ride, but still......I looking forward to the completion of the pathway.
    The issues with the project seem to have started with the "need" to spend the federal $, so the project was likely rushed to construction phase without adequate QC of the plans. The mistake appears to have been repeated when the project was rebid (as noted not all approvals are in place, notwithstanding the promised redesign of the Balcones Park portion). The November project update states that the work in the Mopac ROW is complete. It is not -barricades are still up, guard rail yet to be installed, among other things. It sure would be nice for this section to be complete and open to the public before they close off access to Walnut from Lincolnshire. At least having that section open would allow a safe access across Mopac enabling a ride from Balcones via the existing trails to Cedar Bend where there are a couple of options to get into the parts of Walnut that they aren't closing.

  5. #105
    MoJo Priest WatersPark1x9er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by June Bug View Post
    Well, thanks for the link to the most current document. There are 17 people listed as the various reviewers, and the majority of the reviewers rejected various aspects of the plan in early and late October; current status is awaiting update.
    This is what we should all be concerned about:
    Application Expiration Date: June 01, 2014
    However, the gross site area is only a little under two acres. Is this just for the "trail" on Scribe?
    Fingers crossed that this will be completed in under 9 months.
    One can usually get an extension on the application expiration date, however they can't work in those areas which includes several critical items like bridge crossings until the development permit and site plan are approved. They are able to do some work within the park and in the street right-of-way (Scribe) under what's called a General Permit. Worst case, we end up with a patchwork of paved trail sections in the parks and Mopac with no bridges or connections between. I doubt that the city will let that happen, but at this point, there is no light at the end of the tunnel. I didn't pick up on the site area being only 2 acres, (the 2007 plan had a limit of construction of about 10 acres) I'm guessing they took out the areas that they will build under a General Permit.

  6. #106
    Mojo Riposte June Bug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Centex
    Posts
    6,768
    Thanks for the update. I went for a little urban ride with friends today and we accessed the north end of the southern multi-use path from Loyola Lane. Work is still continuing on that section and about 100 yards of new path has been poured adjacent to the golf course, so that link has been filled in. Looked like that was done in the last week. There is still some caution tape across it, but it is cured and solid. There was one little set of raccoon tracks in the concrete surface, but otherwise pristine.
    In addition, the new bridge by the golf course is open.
    Starting to see some usage as people realize that the trail is there. Many more cyclists than walkers. I'd have to strongly recommend this; it is just a wonderful asset in Austin and totally car free.

  7. #107
    MoJo Mother Superior Chardog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    1953 Parade Home
    Posts
    7,955
    Quote Originally Posted by June Bug View Post
    There was one little set of raccoon tracks in the concrete surface...
    On Brushy Creek Trail they put tracks across the path on purpose. It's a nice touch to remind you keep your speed in check and watch for potential critter crossings.
    "Bicycling is a big part of the future. It has to be. There is something wrong with a society that drives a car to work out in a gym."
    - Bill Nye, the science guy


    Thanks REI for supporting Austin Ridge Riders Programs: http://www.austinridgeriders.com/
    IMBA visits blogs & photos: http://onthetrail.imbatools.com/?p=638
    http://onthetrail.imbatools.com/?p=602

  8. #108
    Supporting Member
    MoJo SuppoRteR
    AtariAge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    3,823
    Quote Originally Posted by Chardog View Post
    On Brushy Creek Trail they put tracks across the path on purpose. It's a nice touch to remind you keep your speed in check and watch for potential critter crossings.
    It's a nice touch, but thinking about critter crossings when I see them and then slowing down has never crossed my mind.

    ..Al

  9. #109
    MoJo Mother Superior Chardog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    1953 Parade Home
    Posts
    7,955
    I rode the entire length from Govalle Park to Gus Garcia Elementary. Some portions were still under construction (no workers or barricades up) so there was dirt sections and one hike a bike where there was an unfinished culvert. Northern section was pretty hilly.
    "Bicycling is a big part of the future. It has to be. There is something wrong with a society that drives a car to work out in a gym."
    - Bill Nye, the science guy


    Thanks REI for supporting Austin Ridge Riders Programs: http://www.austinridgeriders.com/
    IMBA visits blogs & photos: http://onthetrail.imbatools.com/?p=638
    http://onthetrail.imbatools.com/?p=602

  10. #110
    Supporting Member
    MoJo SuppoRteR
    AtariAge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    3,823
    Quote Originally Posted by Chardog View Post
    I rode the entire length from Govalle Park to Gus Garcia Elementary. Some portions were still under construction (no workers or barricades up) so there was dirt sections and one hike a bike where there was an unfinished culvert. Northern section was pretty hilly.
    How long is that?

  11. #111
    MoJo Mother Superior Chardog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    1953 Parade Home
    Posts
    7,955
    Quote Originally Posted by AtariAge View Post
    How long is that?
    I am going to guess about 5 miles on the new trail. Everything but the northern most mile has been cleared. It is pretty much done south of Loyola. http://www.austintexas.gov/sites/def...ompressed_.pdf
    "Bicycling is a big part of the future. It has to be. There is something wrong with a society that drives a car to work out in a gym."
    - Bill Nye, the science guy


    Thanks REI for supporting Austin Ridge Riders Programs: http://www.austinridgeriders.com/
    IMBA visits blogs & photos: http://onthetrail.imbatools.com/?p=638
    http://onthetrail.imbatools.com/?p=602

  12. #112
    MoJo Mother Superior Chardog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    1953 Parade Home
    Posts
    7,955
    Quote Originally Posted by Chardog View Post
    I am going to guess about 5 miles on the new trail. Everything but the northern most mile has been cleared. It is pretty much done south of Loyola. http://www.austintexas.gov/sites/def...ompressed_.pdf
    I ended up at the Tennis Center access on Johnny Morris. Only about half the trail is complete (in sections) north of Loyola.
    "Bicycling is a big part of the future. It has to be. There is something wrong with a society that drives a car to work out in a gym."
    - Bill Nye, the science guy


    Thanks REI for supporting Austin Ridge Riders Programs: http://www.austinridgeriders.com/
    IMBA visits blogs & photos: http://onthetrail.imbatools.com/?p=638
    http://onthetrail.imbatools.com/?p=602

  13. #113
    MoJo Mother Superior Chardog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    1953 Parade Home
    Posts
    7,955
    And there is nothing new in Govalle Park. Just a worn path through the grass. So you have to just follow the path parallel to the creek until you see the new concrete path that starts at Jain Ln.
    "Bicycling is a big part of the future. It has to be. There is something wrong with a society that drives a car to work out in a gym."
    - Bill Nye, the science guy


    Thanks REI for supporting Austin Ridge Riders Programs: http://www.austinridgeriders.com/
    IMBA visits blogs & photos: http://onthetrail.imbatools.com/?p=638
    http://onthetrail.imbatools.com/?p=602

  14. #114
    Supporting Member
    MoJo SuppoRteR
    AtariAge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    3,823
    How easy is it to get to Govalle Park from the Hike & Bike trail downtown? Presumably the easiest route would be from somewhere in Roy G. Guerrero Park. Looks like there is a sidewalk on the Airport Blvd bridge.

    ..Al

  15. #115
    MoJo Mother Superior Chardog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    1953 Parade Home
    Posts
    7,955
    Quote Originally Posted by AtariAge View Post
    How easy is it to get to Govalle Park from the Hike & Bike trail downtown? Presumably the easiest route would be from somewhere in Roy G. Guerrero Park. Looks like there is a sidewalk on the Airport Blvd bridge.

    ..Al
    Pretty easy. I was on the Town Lake trail and took Pleasant Valley to Cesar Chavez to Tillery to Lyons to Bolm.

    From Guerrero Park it would be even simpler. You could just take the Montopolis trestle across to the concrete path that leads to 5th and take Shady Ln to Govalle Park

    BTW, the width of the clearing for the 10' trai was rather shocking. I am going to guess it's a 40'-50' wide corridor in most places.
    "Bicycling is a big part of the future. It has to be. There is something wrong with a society that drives a car to work out in a gym."
    - Bill Nye, the science guy


    Thanks REI for supporting Austin Ridge Riders Programs: http://www.austinridgeriders.com/
    IMBA visits blogs & photos: http://onthetrail.imbatools.com/?p=638
    http://onthetrail.imbatools.com/?p=602

  16. #116
    MoJo Mother Superior Chardog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    1953 Parade Home
    Posts
    7,955
    Bad Engineer. The Montopolis Bridge is a truss, not a trestle. I don't know what I was thinking. Anyway, there is a sidewalk which is passable on the upstream side of the bridge. The railing is a bit low, just be careful. Eventually, when additional roadways spans are added across the river, the entire old truss bridge will become hike/bike.
    "Bicycling is a big part of the future. It has to be. There is something wrong with a society that drives a car to work out in a gym."
    - Bill Nye, the science guy


    Thanks REI for supporting Austin Ridge Riders Programs: http://www.austinridgeriders.com/
    IMBA visits blogs & photos: http://onthetrail.imbatools.com/?p=638
    http://onthetrail.imbatools.com/?p=602

  17. #117
    OnPermanent Vacation jmhix's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Currently in Fort Collins
    Posts
    1,756
    Quote Originally Posted by Chardog View Post
    Bad Engineer. The Montopolis Bridge is a truss, not a trestle. I don't know what I was thinking. Anyway, there is a sidewalk which is passable on the upstream side of the bridge. The railing is a bit low, just be careful. Eventually, when additional roadways spans are added across the river, the entire old truss bridge will become hike/bike.
    Was alcohol consumed between ride & post?

  18. #118
    Live Medium Bamwa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Gnarnia
    Posts
    2,511
    Does anyone know the link to the COA masterplan for the whole proposed Walnut Creek Trail? I remember seeing it a long time ago. Something about how they want to connect the northern and southern section to be completed in 2040 or something. Can't find it on COA's website.
    Grab life by the timbales.

    Between JB Weld and WD-40, my steed has been my rig for decades.

    Don't forget to stop and smell the Rosemary.

  19. #119
    MoJo Mother Superior Chardog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    1953 Parade Home
    Posts
    7,955
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamwa View Post
    Does anyone know the link to the COA masterplan for the whole proposed Walnut Creek Trail? I remember seeing it a long time ago. Something about how they want to connect the northern and southern section to be completed in 2040 or something. Can't find it on COA's website.
    This is all I could find: Trail Projects Coming Up Roses? New hike-and-bike trail on the horizon - News - The Austin Chronicle
    "Bicycling is a big part of the future. It has to be. There is something wrong with a society that drives a car to work out in a gym."
    - Bill Nye, the science guy


    Thanks REI for supporting Austin Ridge Riders Programs: http://www.austinridgeriders.com/
    IMBA visits blogs & photos: http://onthetrail.imbatools.com/?p=638
    http://onthetrail.imbatools.com/?p=602

  20. #120
    Supporting Member
    MoJo SuppoRteR
    AtariAge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    3,823
    Quote Originally Posted by Chardog View Post
    Eventually, when additional roadways spans are added across the river, the entire old truss bridge will become hike/bike.
    Why did they only build one of the two bridges for 183? I think it's been that way since I moved to Austin over 15 years ago. You can see the supports for the second bridge. Are they actually planning on completing this someday?

    ..Al

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Search tags for this page (caching method: table)

south walnut creek trail
,
south walnut creek trail austin
,

southern walnut creek hike & bike trail

,
southern walnut creek hike and bike
,

southern walnut creek hike and bike trail

,
southern walnut creek trail
,
southern walnut creek trail austin map
,
walnut creek austin
,
walnut creek hike and bike austin
,
walnut creek road bike trail
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •