Page 57 of 127 FirstFirst ... 74753545556575859606167107 ... LastLast
Results 1,121 to 1,140 of 2534
Like Tree994Likes

Thread: South Austin Trail Network

  1. #1121
    MoJo Mother Superior FJsnoozer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    2,030
    Does the fast group stop or pretty much all ride together? When the time changes, I may ride to you guys from work and ride home after. That would be a fun commute...

  2. #1122
    MoJo Neophyte lumpyxxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    17
    I had a great time out there last night. Green blur, I saw you endo on hill down from Slaughter, asked if you were cool - you popped up, so I kept going. Realized that was a dick move. Turned back after about a 1/2 mile, but you were gone when I got back to crash site. Anyway- my remittance to cycling karma. I'll pay at some point. Looks like you made it okay.

  3. #1123
    Supporting Member
    MoJo SuppoRteR
    cxagent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Oak Hill
    Posts
    1,871
    Quote Originally Posted by cramsay3 View Post
    "Fast five of the slow group" is not really helping my already precarious ego. I did out-sprint my 12 year daughter.
    Just wait, it will get worse. Start preparing yourself for the dreaded "Come on Dad! You CAN ride it."
    cramsay3 likes this.

  4. #1124
    MoJo Neophyte jreider66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by The Tip View Post
    Creek crossings name list

    Slaughter Creek, flowing from the fence at the Circle C soccer fields in a southeast direction, eventually going under the railroad tracks just east of the Canterbury Loop.
    West to East:
    CC Fence (that you are not suppose to cross to get into Slaughter Creek Trail next to the Circle C soccer fields)
    Escarpment Spillway
    Big Original Bypass (not used much)
    Big Original (rarely used now because it always has water in it and it is badly eroded)
    Double Dip (The side by side whoop de doo. Lots of fun when dry)
    East end (not used much anymore but it was part of the original trail through there)
    Mopac Sidewalk
    Mopac (the rocky creek crossing actually under the bridge)
    Boulder (Challenging to ride. You can carry a bike across days before being able to ride across)
    Secret (I just made that name up. It's not used much but it's there.)
    Gravel
    Bowie Sidewalk
    Bowie Rocky
    Wolftrap West
    Wolftrap East (about 200 yards downstream from Wolftrap West)
    Coyote Run (the trail that runs from the Bauerle loop towards the Manchaca bridge. Slaughter and Bauerle Creek converge there)
    Canterbury (the eastern most portion, right before the railroad)

    Slaughter Creek flows through Mary Moore Searight but does not affect the trails for long so no list needed.

    Williamson Creek, Flowing from Brush Country Rd. through Sunset Valley
    West to East:
    Brush Country Bridge (Not really a crossing but it will flood)
    Williamson Creek Greenbelt (the crossing half way to Mopac that is a fun drop down and up when dry)
    Mopac West (under the bridge)
    Mopac East (almost under the bridge)
    Indian Grass Preserve
    Brodie North (not to be confused with Brodie South)

    Kincheon Branch, Flowing from Whirlpool Cave, under Brodie, Under William Cannon (Bum Bridge) into Williamson Creek in Sunset Valley
    Whirlpool (both under the bridge or downstream from the cave)
    Candy (the trail crosses the creek twice in a short distance)
    Brodie South (under the Brodie bridge, right next to EverWet)
    Bum Bridge
    Ewok

    There is another crossing on the Kincheon Branch just before it joins Williamson Creek, but that is next to the Gates of Mordor and off limits to bikes now.

    There are other trails that are affected by rain of course, as some of them are in creek beds, but this is a list of just crossings. Hopefully we all can now give more accurate trail condition reports.
    Great list. Thanks.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #1125
    MoJo Priest cwilkATX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    66
    Is C&D on tomorrow? The weather looks good for ride time.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #1126
    MoJo Mother Superior The Tip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    In the heart of the ................... SATN
    Posts
    1,860
    Quote Originally Posted by cwilkATX View Post
    Is C&D on tomorrow? The weather looks good for ride time.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The weather looks "good?" Don't you mean "perfect!"

    Crank and Drank every Tuesday 6pm behind ATX Bikes, weather permitting. And tonight the weather is not only permitting a ride, it's begging you to come take advantage of it. Maybe a post-ride dranking jacket might be needed.

    Yesterday I saw a new feature installed right behind ATX. Pre-ride show off possibilities?

  7. #1127
    MoJo Priest cwilkATX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by The Tip View Post
    The weather looks "good?" Don't you mean "perfect!"

    Crank and Drank every Tuesday 6pm behind ATX Bikes, weather permitting. And tonight the weather is not only permitting a ride, it's begging you to come take advantage of it. Maybe a post-ride dranking jacket might be needed.

    Yesterday I saw a new feature installed right behind ATX. Pre-ride show off possibilities?
    Did someone transplant the "you tube" ramp?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #1128
    MoJo Mother Superior The Tip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    In the heart of the ................... SATN
    Posts
    1,860
    What a great Crank and Drank!

    We had three new guys. It was entertaining making fun of them, watching them crash, and then leaving them out there in the dark. Hilarious!





    I keed! I keed!


    Actually they all said they had a great time and would be back. Imagine that?
    pickensupthepieces likes this.

  9. #1129
    Lucky Spoke Pro Bike Service ramsey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    55
    Ya'll have a great ride going! Thanks for being such good hosts.
    cramsay3 and cwilkATX like this.

  10. #1130
    MoJo Priest cwilkATX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    66
    It was great and even when the gap widened in front of me there were a couple riders still directing until we caught up with everyone else... who were waiting. Ha, Go fig. Hope to see you all next week.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. #1131
    MoJo Priest cwilkATX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    66
    FYI, I tried to find a route from Bauerle to 35 via Mary Moore. Unfortunately I found more purple paint on the east side of the tracks at the north trestle. It looks identical to what is posted by the velloway.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  12. #1132
    MoJo Mother Superior The Tip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    In the heart of the ................... SATN
    Posts
    1,860
    Just turn back west and go under the trestle there at the purple paint. When you get to Discount Tires, you can either go up and over the Slaughter bridge, or under it. Either way you need to end up on Bilbrook.

    Did you find your way to I-35?

  13. #1133
    MoJo Priest cwilkATX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by The Tip View Post
    Just turn back west and go under the trestle there at the purple paint. When you get to Discount Tires, you can either go up and over the Slaughter bridge, or under it. Either way you need to end up on Bilbrook.

    Did you find your way to I-35?
    I did just that and I did find my way to 35.

    The new trails in Mary Moore extend under 1st (south side of onion creek) and exit behind the movie theater at south park meadows.

    My intention was to connect some trails and road sections to McKinney Falls. I stopped when I got to 35 because there's a huge homeless camp under the bridge and I didn't feel safe continuing on my own. I've mapped it and it looks doable though.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  14. #1134
    512
    512 is offline
    can I has MoJo? 512's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    BCGB
    Posts
    540
    Quote Originally Posted by cwilkATX View Post
    I did just that and I did find my way to 35.

    The new trails in Mary Moore extend under 1st (south side of onion creek) and exit behind the movie theater at south park meadows.

    My intention was to connect some trails and road sections to McKinney Falls. I stopped when I got to 35 because there's a huge homeless camp under the bridge and I didn't feel safe continuing on my own. I've mapped it and it looks doable though.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I made it past those homeless guys - it was sketchy though. Probably wasn't really worth it. I have a map I'll pm ya.

  15. #1135
    MoJo Mother Superior The Tip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    In the heart of the ................... SATN
    Posts
    1,860
    I was riding from Will Hampton library towards Dick Nichols. I went over that little hump, and to my left, looking towards Mopac, was new trail. Mowed low, maybe even by a weedeater, down to dirt. So I jumped over on to it, thinking, "hey cool, this might go into the woods" but it didn't. It just turned in a circle and headed back towards this library. It was just a small oval shaped thing. About a 1/4 mile total.

    Fascinating. Does anyone have a clue who or why it was done? I certainly don't.

  16. #1136
    dab dab faceplant cramsay3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    527
    Quote Originally Posted by The Tip View Post
    I was riding from Will Hampton library towards Dick Nichols. I went over that little hump, and to my left, looking towards Mopac, was new trail. Mowed low, maybe even by a weedeater, down to dirt. So I jumped over on to it, thinking, "hey cool, this might go into the woods" but it didn't. It just turned in a circle and headed back towards this library. It was just a small oval shaped thing. About a 1/4 mile total.

    Fascinating. Does anyone have a clue who or why it was done? I certainly don't.
    Name:  new-trailv1.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  70.7 KB
    • "Go over the rock, go around the rock. Don't MOVE the rock!"
    • "Because trees don't travel 75 miles per hour."
    • "Enjoying nature...at a higher rate of speed."

  17. #1137
    MoJo Mother Superior The Tip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    In the heart of the ................... SATN
    Posts
    1,860
    lol

    Yes, something like that.

  18. #1138
    MoJo Mother Superior The Tip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    In the heart of the ................... SATN
    Posts
    1,860
    So apparently someone created a new Strava segment. It's named Twist N Turn. But it's exactly like the preexisting segment named Slalom.

    Why do people do that?

  19. #1139
    MoJo Mother Superior FJsnoozer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    2,030
    The only reason I can think of is that people sometimes have their resting or stopping points and they stop inside the old segment and want to see how they compared to others since they don't ride the runout.

    I looked at that segment and its quite possible they don't pedal beyond that mound and are too lazy to go back.

    It must be more of Lance A.'s Shenanigans.


    Edit: Or its just because of the reasons above and bad GPS data. E.g. I have a result for slalom, but I don't have any results for twist and turns. Maybe their device doesn't track to Slalom.
    Last edited by FJsnoozer; 02-13-2017 at 09:53 AM.

  20. #1140
    MoJo Mother Superior notyal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Wimberley
    Posts
    2,210
    Quote Originally Posted by The Tip View Post
    So apparently someone created a new Strava segment. It's named Twist N Turn. But it's exactly like the preexisting segment named Slalom.

    Why do people do that?
    KOM for a day.
    cramsay3 likes this.
    "living today like it is the first day of the rest of my week"

Remove Ads

Search tags for this page (caching method: table)

does south hills conservation area tie into sunset valley trails austin

,
is slaughter creek considered navigable
,
latta brancg greenbelr
,
latta branch greenbelt bike
,
slaughter creek preserve
,
slaughter creek preserve trail
,

slaughter creek trail

,
south austin trail network
,
south austin trails
,
trqck to veloway under mopac
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •