Page 85 of 100 FirstFirst ... 357581828384858687888995 ... LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,700 of 1992
Like Tree750Likes

Thread: South Austin Trail Network

  1. #1681
    MoJo Neophyte SCWells72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    24
    Yeah, Bowie Stonewall (now that I know what to call it) is above my skill level. I can clear almost everything else now at least once in a while, but I end up having to walk much of that stretch.

  2. #1682
    MoJo Neophyte rossm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    78745
    Posts
    10
    This was taken at Slaughter Creek last weekend. Somewhere in this forum, a bunch of people are complaining about trail widening. I present to you the biggest threat to trail widening. Us. Stay on the damn trail. This is one of the reasons I don't like group rides. Every time people stop to wait they trample the vegetation adjacent to the trail, if this happens enough we are going to have (more) double wide trails at Slaughter Creek. If you have to get off the trail to let people pass, or even to wait for stragglers, get right back on it, don't ride next to it. This wasn't the action of one person, you can clearly see several bikes involved, and it is in more than this one spot, and I see it very often. If you attend or lead group rides please spread the word. Thanks. Name:  IMG_0008.JPG
Views: 160
Size:  1.25 MB
    shotgun jeremy likes this.

  3. #1683
    Supporting Member
    MoJo SuppoRteR
    cxagent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Oak Hill
    Posts
    1,618
    Slaughter Creek Trail is still considered "an experiment" to see if trails can coexist with environmental protection on public lands.
    If the trail gets too wide, this trail will be closed.
    If this trail gets to wide, we may lose the chance to open other public lands to mtb trails.
    If it looks like "the public" (that is us and hikers and equestrians and others) starts to go any where and everywhere, this trail and several potential trails will be closed. Is that Strava KOM worth that?

    There are many people spending hundreds, maybe thousands of hours every year working with land owners like the City of Austin to keep trails open. We are making progress. Please help us show that mountain bike trails can coexist with environmental protection.

    Please please PLEASE stay on the trail.
    brianjo, yosmithy and mack_turtle like this.

  4. #1684
    Ayatollah of Rock and Rollah mack_turtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    ATX southside
    Posts
    1,548
    I have photos of TRUCK tire tracks on SCT that pressed into the (recently dried) mud. I suspect that these were the result of was authorized access by someone working on the trail, but they made no effort to not widen the trail. parts of SCT are much, much wider now because of full-sized utility trucks driving all over the mud. I don't know what to do about that.

    I reported this damage to SCT staff on February 26, 2017 and got no response.



    Last edited by mack_turtle; 07-27-2017 at 10:45 AM.

  5. #1685
    dab dab faceplant cramsay3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    428
    Agree but I'm assuming the folks who KOM anything on SCT are staying on the trail. Grass would only slow them down and they are probably not cheating lines.

    Do the nice horse folks still charge people to take them out on SCT on COA land? For years they were running horses out there several times a day making money of the COA trails. Did they have any impact on widening trail?

    On an unrelated note, for a limited time only, I'm offering a group ride rate every Tuesday night starting at ATX Bikes starting at 6pm. For your money, you get to learn and experience cool public trails and enjoy nature at a high rate of speed. It will be fun! Bring 75$ and a can do attitude.

  6. #1686
    MoJo Bishop RidingAgain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    SW Austin
    Posts
    281
    Quote Originally Posted by cramsay3 View Post
    On an unrelated note, for a limited time only, I'm offering a group ride rate every Tuesday night starting at ATX Bikes starting at 6pm. For your money, you get to learn and experience cool public trails and enjoy nature at a high rate of speed. It will be fun! Bring 75$ and a can do attitude.
    Are you providing the bikes and public liability insurance?

    And last I checked... You don't need stalls, food, or a veterinarian for bikes.

    But hey, I could be wrong... I've never owned a $5,000+ bike. Who knows what those suckers cost to maintain.

  7. #1687
    MoJo Bishop RidingAgain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    SW Austin
    Posts
    281
    Possible solution... Folks here who love rocks should be all giddy about the possibility.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  8. #1688
    Ayatollah of Rock and Rollah mack_turtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    ATX southside
    Posts
    1,548
    too many rocks, looks dangerous!
    RidingAgain likes this.

  9. #1689
    MoJo Bishop RidingAgain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    SW Austin
    Posts
    281
    You're preaching to the choir.

    But I'm just trying to fit in.

  10. #1690
    dab dab faceplant cramsay3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    428
    Quote Originally Posted by RidingAgain View Post
    Are you providing the bikes and public liability insurance?

    And last I checked... You don't need stalls, food, or a veterinarian for bikes.

    But hey, I could be wrong... I've never owned a $5,000+ bike. Who knows what those suckers cost to maintain.
    Yes, I'll provide bikes and insurance.

    Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    • "Go over the rock, go around the rock. Don't MOVE the rock!"
    • "Because trees don't travel 75 miles per hour."
    • "Enjoying nature...at a higher rate of speed."

  11. #1691
    MoJo Bishop RidingAgain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    SW Austin
    Posts
    281
    And hey... Check this out... If this is done (what's in the above photo) you'll kill two birds with one, ahh, stone...

    Can you figure it out?

  12. #1692
    MoJo Bishop RidingAgain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    SW Austin
    Posts
    281
    Quote Originally Posted by cramsay3 View Post
    Yes, I'll provide bikes and insurance.

    Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Good man.

    Let me know if you need help marketing the venture.

  13. #1693
    Supporting Member
    MoJo SuppoRteR
    cxagent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Oak Hill
    Posts
    1,618
    Quote Originally Posted by cramsay3 View Post

    Do the nice horse folks still charge people to take them out on SCT on COA land? For years they were running horses out there several times a day making money of the COA trails. Did they have any impact on widening trail?
    The horse issue has been addressed. The WQPL Manager walked the trail one day and recognized the problem. It may take a while but we are making progress.
    cramsay3 and RidingAgain like this.

  14. #1694
    Supporting Member
    MoJo SuppoRteR
    cxagent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Oak Hill
    Posts
    1,618
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    I have photos of TRUCK tire tracks on SCT that pressed into the (recently dried) mud. I suspect that these were the result of was authorized access by someone working on the trail, but they made no effort to not widen the trail. parts of SCT are much, much wider now because of full-sized utility trucks driving all over the mud. I don't know what to do about that.

    I reported this damage to SCT staff on February 26, 2017 and got no response.



    This has been and will be again brought up with the land manager.
    mack_turtle likes this.

  15. #1695
    Supporting Member
    MoJo SuppoRteR
    cxagent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Oak Hill
    Posts
    1,618
    Quote Originally Posted by cramsay3 View Post
    Agree but I'm assuming the folks who KOM anything on SCT are staying on the trail. Grass would only slow them down and they are probably not cheating lines.
    I forgot to comment on this in the post above. I agree with you that they are probably not trying for the KOM BY riding off the trail in the grass. I suspected they were pushing for a KOM and needed to pass someone slower, or walking. With that many tracks, I suspect it was a fairly large group or they did it multiple times.

  16. #1696
    MoJo Bishop RidingAgain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    SW Austin
    Posts
    281
    Quote Originally Posted by cxagent View Post
    I forgot to comment on this in the post above. I agree with you that they are probably not trying for the KOM BY riding off the trail in the grass. I suspected they were pushing for a KOM and needed to pass someone slower, or walking. With that many tracks, I suspect it was a fairly large group or they did it multiple times.
    I would often see this a few years back when I was riding Slaughter Creek... Everyone seemed to be talking "Strava" back then and I would get my slow ass passed by spandex clad riders pushing hard. And they wouldn't wait for me to pull over, they'd just fly by riding off the trail.

  17. #1697
    MoJo Mother Superior FJsnoozer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    1,535
    Quote Originally Posted by cxagent View Post
    I forgot to comment on this in the post above. I agree with you that they are probably not trying for the KOM BY riding off the trail in the grass. I suspected they were pushing for a KOM and needed to pass someone slower, or walking. With that many tracks, I suspect it was a fairly large group or they did it multiple times.

    That there is probably 3 bikes that passed a family walking. Not out of the ordinary.

    1. That is listed as the most "beginner trail" in town, so that's what you get.
    2. Not everyone knows the rules of the trail
    2. They aren't posted clearly enough on that property as you enter through the gate.

    When I travel most every where else for Mountain biking, there are clear rules as well as signs that say "DONT RIDE MUDDY TRAILS"

    Austin has an abnormal lack of signage and an unrealistic expectation of people to know through osmosis what they should be doing.

    My view of KOMS is the people that are remotely fast enough to go after a KOM on a highly traveled trail are so "in the know" that you could rule them out all together. It is likely that someone could be trying to make a personal best and doesnt want to dab for a family taking pictures or whatever. Don't put this on the fast people, but just impatient people. Strava or stopwatch, People have ALWAYS gone for personal bests on loops. Its just human nature.
    Last edited by FJsnoozer; 07-28-2017 at 05:04 PM.

  18. #1698
    MoJo Mother Superior FJsnoozer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    1,535
    Quote Originally Posted by RidingAgain View Post
    I would often see this a few years back when I was riding Slaughter Creek... Everyone seemed to be talking "Strava" back then and I would get my slow ass passed by spandex clad riders pushing hard. And they wouldn't wait for me to pull over, they'd just fly by riding off the trail.
    Because of this comment, I will make sure that I wear baggies next time I go to SCT, god forbid some sloth judges be for passing them.

    You want them to stop so you can ride into the grass and put your feet down Instead of them passing you and only touching with their wheels? That makes sense. Which ones has the bigger impact? Or are they the same and youre just being sensitive?
    cramsay3 likes this.

  19. #1699
    MoJo Mother Superior notyal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Wimberley
    Posts
    1,937
    Quote Originally Posted by FJsnoozer View Post
    That there is probably 3 bikes that passed a family walking. Not out of the ordinary.

    1. That is listed as the most "beginner trail" in town, so that's what you get.
    2. Not everyone knows the rules of the trail
    2. They aren't posted clearly enough on that property as you enter through the gate.

    When I travel most every where else for Mountain biking, there are clear rules as well as signs that say "DONT RIDE MUDDY TRAILS"

    Austin has an abnormal lack of signage and an unrealistic expectation of people to know through osmosis what they should be doing.

    My view of KOMS is the people that are remotely fast enough to go after a KOM on a highly traveled trail are so "in the know" that you could rule them out all together. It is likely that someone could be trying to make a personal best and doesnt want to dab for a family taking pictures or whatever. Don't put this on the fast people, but just impatient people. Strava or stopwatch, People have ALWAYS gone for personal bests on loops. Its just human nature.
    I agree. It irks me that people blame all asshole behavior on Strava. Usually the names on the top of the leaderboards are the same people that maintain the trail, advocate for access, and mentor young riders. The assholes that widen trails and make ruts are just plain uninformed.
    cramsay3, FJsnoozer and EMV like this.
    "living today like it is the first day of the rest of my week"

  20. #1700
    MoJo Bishop RidingAgain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    SW Austin
    Posts
    281
    Quote Originally Posted by FJsnoozer View Post
    Because of this comment, I will make sure that I wear baggies next time I go to SCT, god forbid some sloth judges be for passing them.
    Oh... You girls are so touchy.

    Quote Originally Posted by FJsnoozer View Post
    You want them to stop so you can ride into the grass and put your feet down Instead of them passing you and only touching with their wheels? That makes sense. Which ones has the bigger impact? Or are they the same and youre just being sensitive?
    Did I say I want anyone to do anything for me?

    Not me.

    Your above comment is what is called a straw man... Meaning you dishonestly suggest someone said something that they didn't say... And then try to make an argument against it.

    Tell you what...

    Go back... Read what I actually said... Then come back an edit your comment to reflect it honestly.

    If you can that is.

    If not... It would just be par for the course on online forums.
    Last edited by RidingAgain; 07-28-2017 at 08:24 PM.

Remove Ads

Search tags for this page (caching method: table)

latta brancg greenbelr
,
latta branch greenbelt bike
,
slaughter creek preserve
,
slaughter creek preserve trail
,

slaughter creek trail

,
south austin trail network
,
south austin trails
,
trqck to veloway under mopac
,
violet crown bike trail austin under mopac
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •