Page 89 of 91 FirstFirst ... 397985868788899091 LastLast
Results 1,761 to 1,780 of 1808
Like Tree595Likes

Thread: South Austin Trail Network

  1. #1761
    MoJo Cardinal csmceuen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Austin, Tx
    Posts
    365
    Quote Originally Posted by The Tip View Post
    The only bums I've seen are under the I-35 bridge. And that is east of the loop I am talking about.
    The camp I am talking about is near some double track that you can see the sams club from.

  2. #1762
    MoJo Bishop RidingAgain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    SW Austin
    Posts
    223
    Quote Originally Posted by The Tip View Post
    The main thing is to make sure you find your way under the South 1st bridge. The most interesting stuff is along that creek. Both sides. That South 1st loop is only about two miles, but there is a lot packed in there. Bike challenges and scenery. Very nice stuff. You can then make that a bigger loop by going all the way around the subdivision, The Oak at Twin Creek. The houses are just west of South 1st but the big part of the loop is east of South 1st.
    Once you have done all that, you can concentrate on getting lost in the main part of the park. Not as much technical stuff, but a lot of nice scenery. Especially down along Slaughter Creek. But you know about the scenery if you have fished in there.
    I see two bridges on S1st that are connected to MS... Which one are you speaking about?

    Also, just noticed the NE area of MS... The off-leash section... Are there trails there too?

    And... Are you able to ride from the north bridge area, east to behind SAMs... Then south behind Terraces at South Park Meadows apts... And then back west to go under the second (to the south) bridge under S1st?

    Finally... Following the river course to the south of MS... It seems to have greenbelt that goeas all the way back around to the railroad bridge that we went under that has the trail that leads back to Manchaca... Is there a trail that follows the river?

  3. #1763
    MoJo Neophyte SCWells72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    22
    So a couple of things. First, due to some logistics issues I didn't get to ride Searight this morning. Instead I rode from my place in Circle C Hielscher to Bauerle and back. Very nice ride and I did try a few spokes in Bauerle that were new to me. I may try Searight on Sunday if the weather allows it.

    Second, speaking of dogs, I was bitten by one under the bridge just east of Brodie on William Cannon. One of the homeless guys there had two on leashes and one evidently felt territorial and after some barking jumped up and bit my right arm. The guy was profusely apologetic and said he'd just been playing hard with the dogs and had riled them up. Luckily the bite didn't break skin (though the pressure did break a blood vessel under the skin) so the doctor just put me on antibiotics. No shots required. Anyway, just be careful and give dogs plenty of clearance when you go past them. I got away easy but it could have been worse!

  4. #1764
    MoJo Mother Superior fontarin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    1,192
    Noticed it rained a bit down there today. Trails ok for tomorrow morning?

  5. #1765
    Supporting Member
    MoJo SuppoRteR
    The Tip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    In the heart of the ............... SATN
    Posts
    1,490
    Quote Originally Posted by RidingAgain View Post
    I see two bridges on S1st that are connected to MS... Which one are you speaking about?
    The most interesting loop goes under the northernmost South 1st bridge. It's best to ride that loop counter clockwise. That means starting on the south side of the creek that runs eastward under South 1st. When you turn back around you will eventually be on the north bank side as you travel west back towards the park.



    Quote Originally Posted by RidingAgain View Post
    Also, just noticed the NE area of MS... The off-leash section... Are there trails there too?
    No bike trails. Several signs at the entrances to the dog area that say, "No Bikes."

    Quote Originally Posted by RidingAgain View Post
    And... Are you able to ride from the north bridge area, east to behind SAMs... Then south behind Terraces at South Park Meadows apts... And then back west to go under the second (to the south) bridge under S1st?
    Yes. That is the "bigger loop" that I spoke of. That will take you under the southern South 1st bridge. There are some jumps built under it.

    Quote Originally Posted by RidingAgain View Post
    Finally... Following the river course to the south of MS... It seems to have greenbelt that goeas all the way back around to the railroad bridge that we went under that has the trail that leads back to Manchaca... Is there a trail that follows the river?
    No. Lots of private property lines that meet in the middle of Slaughter Creek. So no access for us. It would be wonderful if there was.
    RidingAgain likes this.
    Just call me The SATN Pimp

  6. #1766
    Supporting Member
    MoJo SuppoRteR
    The Tip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    In the heart of the ............... SATN
    Posts
    1,490
    Quote Originally Posted by SCWells72 View Post

    Second, speaking of dogs, I was bitten by one under the bridge just east of Brodie on William Cannon. One of the homeless guys there had two on leashes and one evidently felt territorial and after some barking jumped up and bit my right arm. The guy was profusely apologetic and said he'd just been playing hard with the dogs and had riled them up. Luckily the bite didn't break skin (though the pressure did break a blood vessel under the skin) so the doctor just put me on antibiotics. No shots required. Anyway, just be careful and give dogs plenty of clearance when you go past them. I got away easy but it could have been worse!
    Imagine that. Running into some homeless guys under Bum Bridge!
    I'm sorry you had the bad encounter. Thankfully I've never had a problem with any of them.
    Just call me The SATN Pimp

  7. #1767
    MoJo Neophyte SCWells72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by The Tip View Post
    Imagine that. Running into some homeless guys under Bum Bridge!
    I'm sorry you had the bad encounter. Thankfully I've never had a problem with any of them.
    Oh, I haven't either after numerous times riding by them and greeting them. Nice guys, and this was no one's fault. Just too little space between my bike and the dogs as I went by.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

  8. #1768
    MoJo Bishop RidingAgain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    SW Austin
    Posts
    223
    Thanks for the info Tip.

  9. #1769
    MoJo Neophyte Tom P.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    17
    Trails good for SATN , ATX ride tonight??

  10. #1770
    Supporting Member
    MoJo SuppoRteR
    The Tip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    In the heart of the ............... SATN
    Posts
    1,490
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom P. View Post
    Trails good for SATN , ATX ride tonight??
    I just took a short test ride to check on conditions. I rode from the library, in and around Dick Nichols, the bottom half of Bambi, then up Mopac.

    I threw mud every now and then, but I never had to stop and scrape my tires. I made one rut on Mopac, but most of the rest was just making tracks. It isn't perfect conditions, a little soft and slow, a little slippery on corners, but I believe it is okay for a ride.

    Mopac gets hit hardest and is one of the slowest to recover. So if it could be ridden then the rest should be okay too.

    See you behind ATX Bikes at 6. There's a rumor that there will be some special stuff going on behind the shop tonight.
    Just call me The SATN Pimp

  11. #1771
    MoJo Bishop big_papa_nuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    201
    PSA, the middle of the trail may not be the best place to park your atv while you finish your beer and smoke a joint.

    But the trails are in great shape.

  12. #1772
    Supporting Member
    MoJo SuppoRteR
    The Tip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    In the heart of the ............... SATN
    Posts
    1,490
    Quote Originally Posted by big_papa_nuts View Post
    PSA, the middle of the trail may not be the best place to park your atv while you finish your beer and smoke a joint.

    But the trails are in great shape.
    LOL, where was this?
    Just call me The SATN Pimp

  13. #1773
    MoJo Pope yosmithy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Cedar Park
    Posts
    483
    Quote Originally Posted by big_papa_nuts View Post
    PSA, the middle of the trail may not be the best place to park your atv while you finish your beer and smoke a joint.

    But the trails are in great shape.
    I didn't want to be accused of widening the trails
    Cafeend and notyal like this.

  14. #1774
    MoJo Bishop big_papa_nuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    201
    Quote Originally Posted by The Tip View Post
    LOL, where was this?
    Just west of the tracks. He wasn't to far in there, I don't he was actually going to ride the trails, more just looking for a secluded spot. He did get really annoyed that I was more focused on getting around him then having a chat.

  15. #1775
    MoJo Mother Superior crazyt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    1,411
    Quote Originally Posted by RidingAgain View Post
    Need some advice on weed wackers... Gas vs. battery... For doing some trail maintenance grassy banks. I live in an apartment so I'll be renting one and wondered how long does the battery last, and for a gas powered wacker, how much gas do they go through for say an hours worth of trail work?
    I prefer battery and take a spare. A 20v battery is plenty for an hour or two (or more). If you are using your weed wacker regularly gas would be ok. But if it sits for long periods I would take electric for sure.

  16. #1776
    Supporting Member
    MoJo SuppoRteR
    The Tip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    In the heart of the ............... SATN
    Posts
    1,490
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyt View Post
    If you are using your weed wacker regularly gas would be ok. But if it sits for long periods I would take electric for sure.
    Or...don't let it sit for long periods!

    And speaking of that, I haven't seen anything that needs whacking. Has anyone? This last rain might generate some needs but it's all been clear on what I've been on.
    Just call me The SATN Pimp

  17. #1777
    MoJo Priest William_Cannon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by The Tip View Post
    Or...don't let it sit for long periods!

    And speaking of that, I haven't seen anything that needs whacking. Has anyone? This last rain might generate some needs but it's all been clear on what I've been on.
    If youre asking... DN has some sections with dead tree eye pokers that I havent gotten to.

    Tapa

  18. #1778
    Supporting Member
    MoJo SuppoRteR
    The Tip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    In the heart of the ............... SATN
    Posts
    1,490
    Quote Originally Posted by William_Cannon View Post
    If youre asking... DN has some sections with dead tree eye pokers that I havent gotten to.

    Tapa
    Oh certainly, but I was asking about places that need weed eating.

    But yes, there are numerous places that need the eye pokers snapped back. It's almost a phenomena how the trail corridors have shrunk. I've seen it happen before but never so widespread and so suddenly.
    Just call me The SATN Pimp

  19. #1779
    MoJo Priest William_Cannon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by The Tip View Post
    Oh certainly, but I was asking about places that need weed eating.

    But yes, there are numerous places that need the eye pokers snapped back. It's almost a phenomena how the trail corridors have shrunk. I've seen it happen before but never so widespread and so suddenly.
    I managed to get over there, clear back a bunch and clean up after someone else's hack job. Some people apparently like to trade eye pokers for impellers.

    Tapa
    cramsay3 and brianjo like this.

  20. #1780
    MoJo Bishop big_papa_nuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    201
    Quote Originally Posted by The Tip View Post
    Or...don't let it sit for long periods!

    And speaking of that, I haven't seen anything that needs whacking. Has anyone? This last rain might generate some needs but it's all been clear on what I've been on.
    Bauerly, just east of lynnbrook by the creek, could use some attention. If your asking.

Remove Ads

Search tags for this page (caching method: table)

latta brancg greenbelr
,
latta branch greenbelt bike
,
slaughter creek preserve
,
slaughter creek preserve trail
,

slaughter creek trail

,
south austin trail network
,
south austin trails
,
trqck to veloway under mopac
,
violet crown bike trail austin under mopac
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •