Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 95
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: 29 CARBON WHEELSETS

  1. #61
    I Build TOUGH Wheels Mattlikesbikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    1,513
    Quote Originally Posted by ATXZJ View Post
    The spam is strong with this one........
    Nah, totally seems legit.

  2. #62
    MoJoMoRon bartman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    oakhill
    Posts
    10,874
    Quote Originally Posted by ATXZJ View Post
    Nextie 35mm 29ers show up today. Quality looks good and we'll string them to some DT350s in the next few weeks.


    Actual weight

    Nextie: 453 grams

    Stans flow MK 3: 494 grams

    Attachment 12286

    Attachment 12287
    How's your new wheelset riding?

  3. #63
    MoJo Speedster Lonnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    North Austin
    Posts
    446
    So what rims are you leaning to? Or are you going wheelset?

  4. #64
    Supporting Member
    MoJo SuppoRteR
    ATXZJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    1979
    Posts
    585
    Quote Originally Posted by bartman View Post
    How's your new wheelset riding?
    Haven't built either set yet. Waiting on spokes that seem to be taking a bit too long.

    Two weeks
    16 Process 111DL
    16 Honzo DL
    16 Private Jake
    17 Hei Hei DLc

  5. #65
    Supporting Member
    MoJo SuppoRteR
    ATXZJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    1979
    Posts
    585
    Update on nextie

    Boxed up the sentinel and sent it to its rightful owner in SLC, and the first ride of the season he promptly broke the rear hoop. Now keep in mind he is the "sethspool" of utah and spends most of his time at deer valley, moab and on bobsled, and can pretty much break anything. The rear tire is a Hans D DH carcass and didnt receive any damage. He's contacting nextie to see about warranty and possible out of pocket upgrade as they have added more material on the newer stuff.

    Heres the message he sent:

    "There is a rough section with a little booster rock in front. ~12' that i think is clearable. Came up short on the rock garden. You got to get out here dude. There season is f*cking on" (priceless)

    Name:  download_20180416_092211.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  849.5 KB
    Name:  download_20180416_092148.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  378.6 KB
    16 Process 111DL
    16 Honzo DL
    16 Private Jake
    17 Hei Hei DLc

  6. #66
    Mojo Bike Part Terminator Seths Pool's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    austin
    Posts
    3,474
    Quote Originally Posted by ATXZJ View Post
    Update on nextie

    Boxed up the sentinel and sent it to its rightful owner in SLC, and the first ride of the season he promptly broke the rear hoop. Now keep in mind he is the "sethspool" of utah and spends most of his time at deer valley, moab and on bobsled, and can pretty much break anything. The rear tire is a Hans D DH carcass and didnt receive any damage. He's contacting nextie to see about warranty and possible out of pocket upgrade as they have added more material on the newer stuff.

    Heres the message he sent:

    "There is a rough section with a little booster rock in front. ~12' that i think is clearable. Came up short on the rock garden. You got to get out here dude. There season is f*cking on" (priceless)

    Name:  download_20180416_092211.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  849.5 KB
    Name:  download_20180416_092148.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  378.6 KB


    so this makes the THIRD broken carbon wheel ive seen in ONE WEEKEND. not even a race weekend, just normal ole riding around trails type of weekend. a buddy Brian broke his light bicycle carbon hoop at mt Lakeway, a buddy of mine broke his Reynolds carbon wheel in the first 5 minutes at cat mountain yesterday, and now this nextie hoop exploding...

    when are people gonna get it? why the fuck are you gonna make the one part of your bicycle closest to all that gnarly jagged rocky shit (the ground) apart from your tires out of the one material that is as sensitive to rock strikes as basically glass is.

    so your carbon rim manufacturer offers lifetime warranty and maybe even free crash replacement? do they also pay for all the new spokes and nipples and wheel building labor? do they also loan you a wheel while yours is down?

    most of these broken wheels I see belong to my riding buddies, so I dont want to add insult to injury while they are all bummed out after their fancy ass new wheel just exploded/cracked, so I try to have sympathy or empathy for them right after it happens.... but its just getting to a point where im gonna start laughing out loud and telling people how fucking dumb they are for buying carbon rims while I smash through rocks like a crazy man and not have to give a single shit in the world about some fragile expensive rims exploding every time I run over an a-corn or piece of grasshopper shit.

    sure, carbon wheels are stiff, and a little lighter, but at the same time, and I include myself in this statement - that hardly, if any, of you will ever ride hard enough or at the level to where you really feel the difference or need the extra weight savings or whatever that carbon hoops offer. sorry but that is the truth. same goes for people "needing the boost hub flange spacing for the extra stiffness" - fucking puuulllleeeeaaase!!!!
    Last edited by Seths Pool; 04-16-2018 at 02:03 PM.
    ATXZJ, Cheif and Bamwa like this.
    "Less yap more braap"

    "Strava is like Tinder for bros"

  7. #67
    Hugh Jass
    MoJo SuppoRteR
    MrMentallo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    NW Austin
    Posts
    1,489
    Hey, how are those Flow's working for you? Outside of my early on troubles, I've actually been good on mine. I have to true mine about once a month but haven't had a major issue since the initial broken spoke and wobble.

  8. #68
    Supporting Member
    MoJo SuppoRteR
    ATXZJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    1979
    Posts
    585
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMentallo View Post
    Hey, how are those Flow's working for you? Outside of my early on troubles, I've actually been good on mine. I have to true mine about once a month but haven't had a major issue since the initial broken spoke and wobble.
    Two/three rides with no issues so far although I've seen other flow MK3s dinged up. The funny thing is I took my gravel/cross bike out to searight and slaughter this sunday and beat the absolute tar out of the older flow EXs yet again without any issues. In fairness, the last MK3 was my fault for casing a bunnyhop from the grass up onto this skate platform.

    Pure stupid
    Name:  IMG_20180208_092702540.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  2.37 MB
    16 Process 111DL
    16 Honzo DL
    16 Private Jake
    17 Hei Hei DLc

  9. #69
    Supporting Member
    MoJo SuppoRteR
    ATXZJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    1979
    Posts
    585
    Quote Originally Posted by Seths Pool View Post
    so this makes the THIRD broken carbon wheel ive seen in ONE WEEKEND. not even a race weekend, just normal ole riding around trails type of weekend. a buddy Brian broke his light bicycle carbon hoop at mt Lakeway, a buddy of mine broke his Reynolds carbon wheel in the first 5 minutes at cat mountain yesterday, and now this nextie hoop exploding...

    when are people gonna get it? why the fuck are you gonna make the one part of your bicycle closest to all that gnarly jagged rocky shit (the ground) apart from your tires out of the one material that is as sensitive to rock strikes as basically glass is.

    so your carbon rim manufacturer offers lifetime warranty and maybe even free crash replacement? do they also pay for all the new spokes and nipples and wheel building labor? do they also loan you a wheel while yours is down?

    most of these broken wheels I see belong to my riding buddies, so I dont want to add insult to injury while they are all bummed out after their fancy ass new wheel just exploded/cracked, so I try to have sympathy or empathy for them right after it happens.... but its just getting to a point where im gonna start laughing out loud and telling people how fucking dumb they are for buying carbon rims while I smash through rocks like a crazy man and not have to give a single shit in the world about some fragile expensive rims exploding every time I run over an a-corn or piece of grasshopper shit.

    sure, carbon wheels are stiff, and a little lighter, but at the same time, and I include myself in this statement - that hardly, if any, of you will ever ride hard enough or at the level to where you really feel the difference or need the extra weight savings or whatever that carbon hoops offer. sorry but that is the truth. same goes for people "needing the boost hub flange spacing for the extra stiffness" - fucking puuulllleeeeaaase!!!!
    This is pretty much where im at with carbon hoops.

    The ENVEs ride really rough and took a bit of time to get the suspension and tires dialed but i also dont spend enough time on them to tell you how great they are/arent. Getting them to seal was an absolute joke for a set of hoops that retails for almost $3k. Whats most likely going to happen is all the fancy carbon bits are gonna go on a lightweight XC-ish frame and ill swap my MK3s onto an enduro type frame with cush core or something. At that point the weight really wont matter and i wont be worried about trashing a carbon rim.
    16 Process 111DL
    16 Honzo DL
    16 Private Jake
    17 Hei Hei DLc

  10. #70
    I Build TOUGH Wheels Mattlikesbikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    1,513
    Quote Originally Posted by Seths Pool View Post

    sure, carbon wheels are stiff, and a little lighter, but at the same time, and I include myself in this statement - that hardly, if any, of you will ever ride hard enough or at the level to where you really feel the difference or need the extra weight savings or whatever that carbon hoops offer. sorry but that is the truth. same goes for people "needing the boost hub flange spacing for the extra stiffness" - fucking puuulllleeeeaaase!!!!
    This. 100000000% this. On the road side the brake pad/epoxy combo are only now really catching up with carbon. For the last few years total fred's have been rocking a wheelset that might look baller but literally puts them in far more danger if it rained or is humid. People need to recognize there is some shit you don't need but the brands and pros are going to push.

    I'll build carbon for folks (it builds up nice and easy), but I'm currently rocking originals Flows and have a set of MK3's going on the SS as soon as I am cleared to ride trails again.

  11. #71
    Hugh Jass
    MoJo SuppoRteR
    MrMentallo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    NW Austin
    Posts
    1,489
    Same here. I have a pair of Flow EX's from 2013 on my hardtail that have been trued once and had a broken spoke once. If you don't mind the buzz I think a Hope/Flow wheelset may be one of the most cost effective wheelsets on the market. Maybe Spanks rank up there for inexpensive and burley, but I'll stick with Flow's for the time being.
    RidingAgain likes this.

  12. #72
    Mojo Bike Part Terminator Seths Pool's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    austin
    Posts
    3,474
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMentallo View Post
    Hey, how are those Flow's working for you? Outside of my early on troubles, I've actually been good on mine. I have to true mine about once a month but haven't had a major issue since the initial broken spoke and wobble.
    4 enduro races strong and lots of riding at cat mountain and I havent had a single issue so far. rear rim is looking pretty darn straight too. and on my pivot pheonix DH bike and my new GG Megatrail, they both have spank race 33 27.5 hoops on king hubs which has been proving to be a pretty bomb proof wheel set also.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mattlikesbikes View Post
    On the road side the brake pad/epoxy combo are only now really catching up with carbon. For the last few years total fred's have been rocking a wheelset that might look baller but literally puts them in far more danger if it rained or is humid. People need to recognize there is some shit you don't need but the brands and pros are going to push.
    what do you mean by brake pad/epoxy combo? what is happening in the road community that you speak of?
    "Less yap more braap"

    "Strava is like Tinder for bros"

  13. #73
    MoJo Mother Superior crazyt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    1,546
    I dont take the big drops and try to ride light I weigh about 170 unloaded. My light bike rims have several thousand miles on them.

    I have only built one aluminum wheelset and 3 carbon, and the carbon were by far the easiest to get right. For drops under 2-3 feet I feel totally comfortable on my carbon rims. Basically almost anything in austin except the cat mountain drops and some BCGB, which Im not planning to ride anyway

    I keep multiple wheelsets in case one breaks so I can take my time to rebuild a new one.
    throet and RidingAgain like this.

  14. #74
    Supporting Member
    MoJo SuppoRteR
    Cheif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Cedar Park
    Posts
    605
    I have the same set of the Nexties only in 28 hole and the heavier all mountain lay up. They have been fine so far. They are stiffer and feel like they track truer through rocky sections much less side to side deflection. My aluminum DT XM 481’s don’t track as well but have taken a hell of a beating. Been on three bikes and two sets of hubs, currently on my hard tail. We’ll see how the carbon holds up.
    throet likes this.

  15. #75
    I Build TOUGH Wheels Mattlikesbikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    1,513
    Quote Originally Posted by Seths Pool View Post

    what do you mean by brake pad/epoxy combo? what is happening in the road community that you speak of?
    It's just been a long slow road to getting good rim brake performance on full carbon rims. In the dry they have always worked fairly well, but when wet, braking goes to shit. This is finally getting better, and some claim equal quality braking between metal braking surface and carbon, but I suspect that still is not entirely true.

    It's one thing for a pro roadie to have less than stellar braking, they have great bike skills. But when the fred crowd was throwing 50mm cheap chinese wheels on their bikes with subpar braking, it gave me some concern.
    Seths Pool likes this.

  16. #76
    MoJo Bishop Rancid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    ATX
    Posts
    298
    I'm rocking the new ENVE M630/635 on my Evil Following MB. I had the ENVE M60 HV on my old Evil Following. I've never had an issue with beading up tires or having the wheels crack/break/end a ride. But I also don't ride as hard as Seth, so....?

  17. #77
    Mojo Bike Part Terminator Seths Pool's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    austin
    Posts
    3,474
    Quote Originally Posted by Rancid View Post
    I'm rocking the new ENVE M630/635 on my Evil Following MB. I had the ENVE M60 HV on my old Evil Following. I've never had an issue with beading up tires or having the wheels crack/break/end a ride. But I also don't ride as hard as Seth, so....?
    yeah I dunno man, ive never broken pair of carbon rims personally because ive never owned any. but ive literally seen about 20 broken carbon hoops in the last year, no exaggeration. and ive seen maybe 2-3 catastrophically damaged aluminum rims.

    I love seeing blinged out bikes, and if your carbon hoops arent giving you problems, then I am honestly cheering for ya. but from everything ive witnessed, aluminum wheels for life for me
    "Less yap more braap"

    "Strava is like Tinder for bros"

  18. #78
    MoJo Mother Superior RidingAgain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    SW Austin
    Posts
    1,084
    There's a reason why the word "tolerance" is better applied to structural things than to human beings. A fuse has a tolerance limit that when passed causes the fuse to do what it was designed to do — break. Obviously, a carbon rim has a tolerance limit, which, when passed, will result in the rim doing what it wasn't designed to do. Folks, this happened with carbon handlebars too. Pick the right part for the particular need.

    Here's an article of force exerted on the hub of a mountain bike while coasting/braking on a trail (I guess they weren't jumping back when this was written)... https://bme.ucdavis.edu/hull/files/2...chEng_1999.pdf

    Here's another using a "bump drum"... https://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/v...t=usafresearch

    Here's one on measuring jump impact force... https://isbs2015.sciencesconf.org/59159/document

    This one has some interesting responses to a question on force absorbtion... https://bicycles.stackexchange.com/q...rom-a-big-drop

    And here's one on impact of rider weight... https://physics.stackexchange.com/qu...a-lower-ground

    There's some really interesting stuff out there — if you're into this kind of stuff... Here's a search term I used on Google to find some of this stuff... "measure jump landing force on mountain bike wheel"
    Last edited by RidingAgain; 04-18-2018 at 03:58 PM.

  19. #79
    MoJo Mother Superior RidingAgain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    SW Austin
    Posts
    1,084
    Side note... Love to know the details of your shredding...

    Well...

    https://www.imbikemag.com/mountain-b...er-sensor-app/

  20. #80
    MoJo Mother Superior crazyt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    1,546
    My brother in law came in to town and I took him on BCGB. He was riding my canfield EPO with one of my backup light bike carbon wheelsets. I have never had any problems with the wheels, he had them oozing sealant from every spoke hole.

    It is possible that 170lbs is the sweet spot

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Remove Ads

Search tags for this page (caching method: table)

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •