Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

Thread: LGT question

  1. #1
    MoJo Cardinal zander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Round Rock
    Posts
    365

    LGT question

    Where is the turnaround for the out and back on the south shore? I rode yesterday evening from Cedar Hollow, saw mile marker 4, and went for a solid 15 - 20 more minutes and never hit a camp or saw mile marker 5. Wound up turning around so I could get back before dark.

    On a side note, that section will beat the crap out of you. Can't wait until the entire loop is open. If there are workdays in the future, I'd like to see dates so I can help out.

  2. #2
    MoJo Cardinal zander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Round Rock
    Posts
    365
    Point of clarity: I started at Cedar Breaks and could not find Cedar Hollow.

  3. #3
    Be Excellent to Each Other St. Bernardo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Round Rock
    Posts
    1,144
    Quote Originally Posted by zander View Post
    Point of clarity: I started at Cedar Breaks and could not find Cedar Hollow.
    Ride out about 4.5 miles and there will be a split in the trial (left-right). Go ride and ride to the rock pylon follow the trail to the left, heading up hill. keep on the trial about .125 mile (best guess) then go left uphill along the fenceline to Cedar Hollow. Continue on past Cedar Hollow parking lot (top of hill) and you'll make your way downhill and to the left. Follow this until you get back the the split in the trail where you took the initial right.

    The trail is straight out until the split, and make a loop back to the split.

    Hope this helps. I haven't measured it before, I just kind of stumbled around until I found it.
    Flour Bag

  4. #4
    MoJo Cardinal zander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Round Rock
    Posts
    365
    I must have gone left at the pylon. Oh well, I have an excuse to take another ride out there one evening soon.

  5. #5
    MoJo Bishop weekendrider09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    san antonio,tx
    Posts
    153

    How well does it drain

    We are going to stop and ride LGT this Sunday on our way to Waco. watching the news right now there are alot of thunder clouds that may be passing over Georgetown. So how well does it drain? how fast does it dry up to ride? HOw may days to dry out?

    While I'm here which trail head should we start from? We are coming from San Antonio.

  6. #6
    Be Excellent to Each Other St. Bernardo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Round Rock
    Posts
    1,144
    Quote Originally Posted by weekendrider09 View Post
    We are going to stop and ride LGT this Sunday on our way to Waco. watching the news right now there are alot of thunder clouds that may be passing over Georgetown. So how well does it drain? how fast does it dry up to ride? HOw may days to dry out?

    While I'm here which trail head should we start from? We are coming from San Antonio.
    Best bet would be the section from Jim Hogg Park to Russell Park.
    This section is usually ridable in a couple days. Depending on the weather, it should be good for this weekend.
    Flour Bag

  7. #7
    MoJo Cardinal Philius413's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Georgetown
    Posts
    420
    I agree--as long as we don't get more rain than what we got last night (which was minimal at my house in Gtown, maybe 1/10"), the trail should be good to go by Friday at the latest. The sky sure talked a big game yesterday evening, but didn't produce much in the way of moisture. May have to head out to the trail Friday and/or Saturday myself...
    Try not. Do. Or do not.

  8. #8
    Govt KontraKt ProjKt MGR-the slakin ends ArmySlowRdr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Killeen--South Side, Young at Price
    Posts
    1,946
    It sure d hell did in South killeen, a 2 hour downburst of around 2 inches.

    Quote Originally Posted by Philius413 View Post
    I agree--as long as we don't get more rain than what we got last night (which was minimal at my house in Gtown, maybe 1/10"), the trail should be good to go by Friday at the latest. The sky sure talked a big game yesterday evening, but didn't produce much in the way of moisture. May have to head out to the trail Friday and/or Saturday myself...

  9. #9
    MoJo Bishop weekendrider09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    san antonio,tx
    Posts
    153

    Thanks!

    Quote Originally Posted by Philius413 View Post
    I agree--as long as we don't get more rain than what we got last night (which was minimal at my house in Gtown, maybe 1/10"), the trail should be good to go by Friday at the latest. The sky sure talked a big game yesterday evening, but didn't produce much in the way of moisture. May have to head out to the trail Friday and/or Saturday myself...
    I hope it holds off.

  10. #10
    MoJo Bishop weekendrider09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    san antonio,tx
    Posts
    153

    Thanks!

    Quote Originally Posted by St. Bernardo View Post
    Best bet would be the section from Jim Hogg Park to Russell Park.
    This section is usually ridable in a couple days. Depending on the weather, it should be good for this weekend.
    Can you give me directions? We'll be coming up 35 from Austin. Thanks again!

  11. #11
    Be Excellent to Each Other St. Bernardo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Round Rock
    Posts
    1,144
    Quote Originally Posted by weekendrider09 View Post
    Can you give me directions? We'll be coming up 35 from Austin. Thanks again!
    Take I-35 north to exit 261A, FM 2338/Williams Dr. Go West on Williams Dr. Continue on 2338 past the HEB (at DB Wood intersection). I think that there is one more light at Sun City, continue on through the light about another ~ 1 mile.

    The park entrance is just West of a gas station located on the North side of the road. Follow Jim Hogg road to the park entrance. The parking area is located immediately left of the Jim Hogg Park sign (outside of the park gate). Trail head is behind the park sign.

    Hope this helps. I know how to get there, but not real good at explaining it.

    Hope the weather cooperates.

    B
    Flour Bag

  12. #12
    MoJo Bishop weekendrider09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    san antonio,tx
    Posts
    153
    Quote Originally Posted by St. Bernardo View Post
    Take I-35 north to exit 261A, FM 2338/Williams Dr. Go West on Williams Dr. Continue on 2338 past the HEB (at DB Wood intersection). I think that there is one more light at Sun City, continue on through the light about another ~ 1 mile.

    The park entrance is just West of a gas station located on the North side of the road. Follow Jim Hogg road to the park entrance. The parking area is located immediately left of the Jim Hogg Park sign (outside of the park gate). Trail head is behind the park sign.

    Hope this helps. I know how to get there, but not real good at explaining it.

    Hope the weather cooperates.

    B
    Thanks for the directions!

    Normally there are videos up on Youtube on bike rides and there are none for LGT. So what is the terrain like? What can we expect?

  13. #13
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr. Rug Burn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    G-town
    Posts
    693
    Soon to be 26 miles of the hardest flat trail you've ever ridden. It is similar to Madrone in places. Found a couple videos. [YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/W8DHhxsh268&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/W8DHhxsh268&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

    [YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MvFKRXYBXBc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MvFKRXYBXBc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]
    GO DRULZ

  14. #14
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr. Rug Burn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    G-town
    Posts
    693
    GO DRULZ

  15. #15
    MoJo Bishop weekendrider09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    san antonio,tx
    Posts
    153

    Thanks!

    I saw these and one with Donna following the line. What I want to know what can we expect when we get there? How technical are the trails? We met someone at Reimers Ranch and she said LGT keeps her butt everytime she rides there.

  16. #16
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr. Rug Burn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    G-town
    Posts
    693
    It's like a paved road from the movie 2012. It's not a beginner trail, but it's not super technical either. There's just miles of very rough trail. It's a blast...unless you're on a hardtail. I broke my frame out there and never even crashed.
    GO DRULZ

  17. #17
    Be Excellent to Each Other St. Bernardo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Round Rock
    Posts
    1,144
    Quote Originally Posted by Rug Burn View Post
    It's like a paved road from the movie 2012. It's not a beginner trail, but it's not super technical either. There's just miles of very rough trail. It's a blast...unless you're on a hardtail. I broke my frame out there and never even crashed.
    Hogg to Russell is in primo shape.

    The Donna and the drop video are on the South side of the lake.

    To get an idea of how the trail rides, go hang on to a jackhammer for a couple hours.
    Flour Bag

  18. #18
    MoJo Bishop weekendrider09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    san antonio,tx
    Posts
    153

    LOL

    Quote Originally Posted by St. Bernardo View Post
    Hogg to Russell is in primo shape.

    To get an idea of how the trail rides, go hang on to a jackhammer for a couple hours.
    How true!

  19. #19
    MoJo Mother Superior Morealice's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    In Orbit
    Posts
    2,031
    My wrists are hurting from reading this thread and watching those vids.

    I love technical but I am hoping this isn't too much abuse. Hopefully the YBB can soak up enough of the hits to make it bearable. I know my true hardtail won't even be an option out here.

    I'm hoping to ride it Sunday the 27th.

  20. #20
    MoJo Friar cyclinggary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    G,town Tx
    Posts
    118
    Morealice
    If you want an easier ride take off from Cedar Breaks (less climbing imo),take lots of water and food with you
    Leave early and pace yourself for the long haul,Have fun this is one sweet trail!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Search tags for this page (caching method: table)

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •