Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Austin Tricyclists Ride Rules!

  1. #1
    Yo
    MoJo SuppoRteR
    TechniKal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Austin, TEXAS - thank God!
    Posts
    8,255

    Austin Tricyclists Ride Rules!

    I did the ATC ride this morning for the first time - what a superb group road ride. The ride starts from the ATC store on Barton Springs road, heads out Southwest parkway and then connects to the 'Dam Loop' - then back down 360 to the MOPAC access road and Barton Springs. Total distance is about 50 miles. The also have a 30 mile option that turns around at 71/620 intersection I beleive.

    They have groups that run all paces - I think the lead A group finished at around a 22 mph average, which is a little mis-leadng because the first 10 miles of the ride was a slow warmup. There were groups running down to the 14-16mph range as well.

    The turnout was phenominal - probably 100+ riders. At the end of the ride, ATC had breakfast tacos and drinks for everyone - sweet!

    Highly recommended ride - great loop, great support.

    It's Saturdays starting @ 8:30 am.

  2. #2
    Mojo Mucho Macho Muncho sangulo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    The Slums of Lakeway
    Posts
    298
    I find that ride to be A LOT of fun. The hammer gets dropped right at the end of sw pkwy and doesn't slow down till bee cave. Lots of jumping at the front of that ride. Last couple of times I've gone, it's almost been ridden like a race at the front.

    and you just can't beat free breakfast tacos at the end of the ride. all-in-all nice open atmosphere with minimal attitude.

  3. #3
    MoJo OUTLAW BigNasty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Pain Train
    Posts
    949
    yep.

    it's almost tuesday-nighter-ish there along swparkway to 620...

    put the hurt on me many of times...very good ride.


    If you make it idiot-proof, nature will make a better idiot.

  4. #4
    Yo
    MoJo SuppoRteR
    TechniKal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Austin, TEXAS - thank God!
    Posts
    8,255
    Originally posted by BigNasty
    yep.

    it's almost tuesday-nighter-ish there along swparkway to 620...

    put the hurt on me many of times...very good ride.


    Yep - I did the dam loop portion of the ride faster than I've ever managed to do it, and still lost site of the lead pack of A's before we ever even started climbing. But there's plenty of non-hammers out there, too, if you don't want to kill yourself.

  5. #5
    MoJo OUTLAW BigNasty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Pain Train
    Posts
    949
    Originally posted by TechniKal
    Yep - I did the dam loop portion of the ride faster than I've ever managed to do it, and still lost site of the lead pack of A's before we ever even started climbing. But there's plenty of non-hammers out there, too, if you don't want to kill yourself.
    i wanna do this freewheeling ride davey's been talkin about, i've just been busy/out of town the past 5 sundays!!

    If you make it idiot-proof, nature will make a better idiot.

  6. #6
    MoJo Priest bambi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    92
    What was your pace and distance? Sounds like fun.

  7. #7
    MoJo Priest bambi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    92
    Duh! Sorry I need to learn how to read! What about the speed? Strong hard females??

  8. #8
    Yo
    MoJo SuppoRteR
    TechniKal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Austin, TEXAS - thank God!
    Posts
    8,255
    I averaged about 21 mph over the entire loop and finished in about the middle of the A pack so far as I could tell. The first 5-8 miles averaged around 14-16 mph, though - so the actual dam loop itself was run at an absolute smoking pace.

    Lots of good scenery. There were a few pro tri/ironman ladies there - and I don't know if it gets any stronger or harder than that - except for my lovely wife, of course (just in case she's reading this... )

  9. #9
    MoJo Mother Superior davidcgtrk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    1,505

    Thumbs up

    Man that is a lot of riders.....I'm there this weekend! Esper came by the house last night on a new road bike.....it was a feather! BTW smoking pace Kyle.

  10. #10
    Yo
    MoJo SuppoRteR
    TechniKal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Austin, TEXAS - thank God!
    Posts
    8,255
    This is the type of rider you find on the ATC ride:

    http://www.andreafisher.com/

    I rode the last few miles of the ride in a group with Andrea - turns out she's a fellow Carolinian and grew up in Winston-Salem - home of my alma matter...

    Strong enough for ya Bambi?

  11. #11
    MoJo Mother Superior davidcgtrk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    1,505
    Bambis on Crack if he has a problem with that......hell, I bet she can kick his ass. ( Looked again ).... I'll PAY her to kick my ass!

  12. #12
    MoJo Priest bambi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    92
    No Crack....yet! Oh yeh! She'll do!

  13. #13
    Pimpin' Trails Fo' My Dead Homies! bjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    ATX
    Posts
    1,160
    Originally posted by BigNasty
    i wanna do this freewheeling ride davey's been talkin about, i've just been busy/out of town the past 5 sundays!!

    The Freewheeling Ride's 'A' group is a little more relaxed. You prolly all ready know, but.......it is on Sunday's 8am at Freewheeling @ 24th & San Gabriel. Destinations to be decided by David Henderson, the ride leader.

    We went to Round Rock on Sept. 15. That was a pretty faced pace ride....trying to beat the rain that was in the forcast to hit Austin by noon. Most of these rides go east, northeast or southeast.

    This Saturday ATC ride sounds fun too. 'Specially the scenery! Hope they'll let a SS ride with 'em!

    b
    Live Free....Ride Free......Be Free...anything else would just............Suck!!!

    When everyone wants the same thing, it's hard to guess why we ever misunderstood one another!

    There ain't a trail that cain't be rode, or a rider that cain't be throwed!

  14. #14
    blah Anita Handle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    fat antonio
    Posts
    12,835

    Re: Austin Tricyclists Ride Rules!

    Originally posted by TechniKal
    I did the ATC ride this morning for the first time - what a superb group road ride. The ride starts from the ATC store on Barton Springs road, heads out Southwest parkway and then connects to the 'Dam Loop' - then back down 360 to the MOPAC access road and Barton Springs. Total distance is about 50 miles. The also have a 30 mile option that turns around at 71/620 intersection I beleive.

    They have groups that run all paces - I think the lead A group finished at around a 22 mph average, which is a little mis-leadng because the first 10 miles of the ride was a slow warmup. There were groups running down to the 14-16mph range as well.

    The turnout was phenominal - probably 100+ riders. At the end of the ride, ATC had breakfast tacos and drinks for everyone - sweet!

    Highly recommended ride - great loop, great support.

    It's Saturdays starting @ 8:30 am.

    I live on Southwest Parkway and took off from my apt on saturday morning for a hilly loop. About 4 miles down SW PKWY I was runneded over by a train of tricyclists! They were indeed hammering along, the main group passed me so fast that I didn't have a chance of trying to latch on for a couple of miles of drafting. I rode with some of the stragglers and confirmed who they were riding with. I hooked east on bee caves and made it a 22 mile loop and was still surrounded by riders of all abilities. Although I didn't know anyone it was a blast to be out there with so many other bikers. I'm in the ~15-16 mph avg (and gaining damnit!) group, although I think I could up that a little in a group ride. I might have to try that tricyclist ride in the B group. Ya can't beat apres ride breakfast tacos!
    -ELR

Search tags for this page (caching method: table)

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •