Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Another one bites the dust....

  1. #1
    Fat MoJo fat bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Denver / NB
    Posts
    3,320

    Another one bites the dust....

    After 8 years of producing remarkable frames, legendary builder Matt Chester calls it quits.....

    First Kelly, now Chester... who's next

  2. #2
    Fat MoJo fat bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Denver / NB
    Posts
    3,320

    Link included...

    I think sslos is the only one who might care, so here's the link. I guess if you chum up with Matt he may build you a bike... wonder how long Jeff Jones will hold out.

  3. #3
    blah Anita Handle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    fat antonio
    Posts
    13,319
    how many millions of units were they shipping?? never heard of these guys. do they get rebadges with other makers brands?

  4. #4
    Gear Whore oldpueblorider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    san antonio
    Posts
    142

    One man custom Ti builder

    Quote Originally Posted by Anita Handle
    how many millions of units were they shipping?? never heard of these guys. do they get rebadges with other makers brands?

    I'm guessing less than 50 Frames a year.

  5. #5
    Fat MoJo fat bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Denver / NB
    Posts
    3,320

    As OPR stated...

    Quote Originally Posted by Anita Handle
    how many millions of units were they shipping?? never heard of these guys. do they get rebadges with other makers brands?
    Matt is an artist, and a solo endeavor. He may not have spewed out mass amounts in some sweat shop in China, but he built some of the finest Ti rides around. He was known for his resistance to go disc, wouldn't do disc tabs on his frames.... quirky but most engineers are. The video of the log crossing I posted up a few weeks ago was my bud, Ricky on his 29er Chester SS. He recently won the 12 Hours of Lodi on his Chester.

  6. #6
    700 Acres Pusher
    MoJo SuppoRteR
    aLaN's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Down Town
    Posts
    14,333
    Quote Originally Posted by fat bob
    I think sslos is the only one who might care, so here's the link. I guess if you chum up with Matt he may build you a bike... wonder how long Jeff Jones will hold out.
    I saw that. Read his journal. Very sad. Cool thing is that he will keep making bikes when he wants to, when he can.

    Like many of the small guys, the demand exceeds the supply. These guys get burned out.
    BikeMojo.com Foreign Affairs Bureau Chief

  7. #7
    blah Anita Handle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    fat antonio
    Posts
    13,319
    Quote Originally Posted by fat bob
    Matt is an artist, and a solo endeavor. He may not have spewed out mass amounts in some sweat shop in China, but he built some of the finest Ti rides around. He was known for his resistance to go disc, wouldn't do disc tabs on his frames.... quirky but most engineers are. The video of the log crossing I posted up a few weeks ago was my bud, Ricky on his 29er Chester SS. He recently won the 12 Hours of Lodi on his Chester.
    oh, sounds like code for "he couldn't find a venture capitalist to fund his move into the commodity market".

    so these bikes were specialized for rolling over logs? sounds cool but risky with log rolling being such a small niche (uttered "kneesh" because "nitch" is to pedestrian sounding).

  8. #8
    boring the Inbred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    ATX
    Posts
    10,114
    wow. i always dug his bikes. so clean...so simple.

  9. #9
    Fat MoJo fat bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Denver / NB
    Posts
    3,320

    If only....

    Quote Originally Posted by Anita Handle
    oh, sounds like code for "he couldn't find a venture capitalist to fund his move into the commodity market".

    so these bikes were specialized for rolling over logs? sounds cool but risky with log rolling being such a small niche (uttered "kneesh" because "nitch" is to pedestrian sounding).
    Yeah rolling over logs and winning 12 hour solo SS races. Too bad I didn't buy one... Wonder if the engine comes with the bike?

  10. #10
    boring the Inbred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    ATX
    Posts
    10,114
    it just occured to me...why post that on a livejournal, and not on his site?

  11. #11
    700 Acres Pusher
    MoJo SuppoRteR
    aLaN's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Down Town
    Posts
    14,333
    Quote Originally Posted by the Inbred
    it just occured to me...why post that on a livejournal, and not on his site?
    I don't know.

    Chris Kelly put it under racing, riding and whatnot
    BikeMojo.com Foreign Affairs Bureau Chief

  12. #12
    700 Acres Pusher
    MoJo SuppoRteR
    aLaN's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Down Town
    Posts
    14,333
    Quote Originally Posted by fat bob View Post
    First Kelly, now Chester... who's next

    Not so fast....

    http://kellybike.com/index.html


    Chris Kelly re-launches Kelly
    Last edited by aLaN; 03-22-2009 at 04:45 PM.
    BikeMojo.com Foreign Affairs Bureau Chief

  13. #13
    Fat MoJo fat bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Denver / NB
    Posts
    3,320
    Matt is back at it too.

Remove Ads

Search tags for this page (caching method: table)

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •